Windows 10: Windows 10 loops between login and lock screens ad infinitum

Discus and support Windows 10 loops between login and lock screens ad infinitum in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Strange problem here. I have four Dell desktops set up the same way as my Dell laptops, however, the desktops all work fine but the laptops don't. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by caleula, Aug 6, 2016.

1. caleula Win User

Windows 10 loops between login and lock screens ad infinitum

Strange problem here. I have four Dell desktops set up the same way as my Dell laptops, however, the desktops all work fine but the laptops don't. I have the latest Windows 10 Anniversary Edition installed and the only way I can get it to work is by installing a basic build, with nothing kept.

If I install Windows 10 and keep the existing files, upon boot, the laptop loops between the login and lock screens ad infinitum. The only thought is that I have all but Shutdown and Restart set and all other options greyed out. Is there an easy Regedit patch available to reactivate Hibernate, Sleep, Lock, Switch user, etc?

My plan is to restore a previous Windows 10 image and reactivate all of the above options and then to upgrade to the latest Windows 10 to try and prove my theory.

:)

caleula, Aug 6, 2016
  2. acaruana Win User

login impossible after kb3194798

I have twice had to recover this laptop to the status before 4th October due to the "KB3194798" cumulative update for anniversary edition of windows 10.

On this PC I could not login again after the lock screen - it showed the login screen, i entered the password and observed the circling dots then the lock screen appeared again etc. ad infinitum.

i ran sfc/scannow but it did not work

As this is a laptop I had to disconnect the battery during boot a couple of times to get to safe mode

I also had to repair the windowsupdate database a couple of times using WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab

i have had to block the installation of this update using wushowhide.diagcab

I installed all other updates,including the latest

When will this be fixed?

acaruana, Aug 6, 2016
  3. Window 10 in a loop

I have just bought a HP laptop with windows 10 as its OS.

On trying to start it for the first time I am stuck in an endless loop of the "Hello there" screen, followed by " Lets get connected" and Use express settings" and back to the first Ad Infinitum... looping forever.

I was told by a friend to keep going through the loop and it would eventually clear but i tried this for seven hours before I gave up.

How can I get the system to start???

yours desperately

DavidSteeleNN, Aug 6, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it sounds like you may be saying that if you do a clean install on your laptops, all is fine.. (or at least if you opt not to keep existing files) "If I install Windows 10 and keep the existing files".

If so, this suggests sthg you have installed or configured is interfering.

Hibernate isn't recommended these days.

Consider this, and try powercgf -a from a command prompt:
    I have two new laptops (an HP and a Gateway) with Win 7 Pro on each, and set up
    exactly the same. On the Gateway, the sleep and hibernate work fine.
    On the HP, the sleep and hibernate are greyed out.

Using cmd: powercfg -a
    The Gateway shows " the following sleep states are available ... Standby (S3),
    Hibernate Hybrid Sleep"

The HP shows "sleep states not available..system firmware does not support
    standby state" "legacy driver vgasave .. prevents this standby state"

dalchina, Aug 6, 2016
  5. caleula Win User
    Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, if I do a clean install on my laptops, all is fine. I copied the original menu items across and installed software from there, knowing what I was looking for.

I never use Hibernate, Sleep, Lock, etc and had previously greyed them out in the Shut Down menu. They work fine on my tower desktops set up the same way which seems strange.

Thanks for the powercgf -a tip.

Having a break for a while as all computers are activated already and are image backed up. I use Terabyte Unlimited's IFL (Image For Linux) for the images.

caleula, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 loops between login and lock screens ad infinitum - Similar Threads - loops between login

2. Lock Screen loop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock Screen loop: When I go and unlock my laptop Lenovo IdeaPad 120S-14IAP it says: “Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again”. When I press “Set up my PIN” it goes back to the Lock Screen and I’m stuck in that loop. I tried to fix it by not deleting my...
  3. Lock Screen loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock Screen loop: When I go and unlock my laptop Lenovo IdeaPad 120S-14IAP it says: “Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again”. When I press “Set up my PIN” it goes back to the Lock Screen and I’m stuck in that loop. I tried to fix it by not deleting my...
  4. Lock Screen loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. VSS ad infinitum

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VSS ad infinitum: Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x8007045b, A system shutdown is in progress. Error 8193Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID...
  6. VSS ad infinitum

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VSS ad infinitum: Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x8007045b, A system shutdown is in progress. Error 8193Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID...
  7. Windows 10 Login Screen Looping

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Login Screen Looping: Ok here is the problem: I keep my computer running over night, MS made an update push and the next day the login screen was frozen. A hard reboot was required. When the PC rebooted it got hung-up on the welcome screen, my user name was there but when I “clicked” it would...
  8. Windows 10 Login screen loop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Login screen loop: Hey guys! Im having an issue where everytime i login to my windows pc it brings me back to the login screen after a few mins or secs Ive booting it in safe mode but that still didnt fix anything. Any help would be great!...
  9. Login Screen Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Login Screen Loop: so my laptop now does this thing where I try tapping space to go sign in and all it does is put me to a black screen and then it takes me back to the page where it says the time and date. I cant sign in at all. How can I fix this?...
  10. Dell BIOS update "installing..." ad infinitum

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell BIOS update "installing..." ad infinitum: My (short-fused) friend is having this problem, I'm not with the machine or able to see it, and he's gone to work now so I can't ask any questions. I am tasked with finding answers by the time he gets home, this is my first port of call. He has been having USB wired mouse...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 lock screen loop