Windows 10: Windows 10 loops on repair

Discus and support Windows 10 loops on repair in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ive had Windows 10 for probably close to a month. Yesterday the little blue circle kept rotating and I noticed there was no Edge button on the toolbar.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sweetp59, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Sweetp59 Win User

Windows 10 loops on repair

Ive had Windows 10 for probably close to a month. Yesterday the little blue circle kept rotating and I noticed there was no Edge button on the toolbar. Finally decided to turn the pc off and back on. When I did I got the screen that said my computer needed to be repaired and then it diagnosed and then it said it wasn't repaired. No matter what I chose I got the blue screen that it needed to be repaired. Tried all the options and it loops back to..it needs to be repaired. It's an Acer that was purchased in 2013 with extended warranty. I called Assurion and they gave me Windows number to call. Called them this morning and tech did everything I had already tried. There are no options to select like he thought. So he told me to call Assurion, I told him...already did and they said it's a Windows upgrade issue. So he was going to send me to Level 2 tech but talked to them and they said Call Acer that they need to send me Windows 7 disk to get me back to the OS since it's the original and then I can upgrade to Windows 10 again if I choose (NO WAY). Called Acer and they said I have to call on a weekday as parts dept isn't opened on the weekend. I did ask the Windows tech what I was going to do if they didn't give me Windows 7 disk. He said they have to as it's not part of the warranty and the computer is licensed to have it. So here I sit with a fairly new computer that's dead in the water for now. I wouldn't recommend the upgrade until the bugs and FIXES are taken care of. Thankful someone on Windows Facebook page, shared the link to this forum

:)

Sweetp59, Sep 5, 2015
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Windows 10 is stuck in Automatic Repair loop

Hi Robert,

Automatic Repair loop is a feature designed to help you fix some PC issues in Windows. It might fail to work sometimes and stuck in a startup repair loop in Windows 10.

The two most common cases of the Windows Automatic Repair loop issue are:

1. Windows Automatic Repair stuck on a black screen with "Preparing Automatic Repair" error message.

2. Windows Automatic Repair failed and said, "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC".

We suggest that you try the solutions provided by community experts on this
    link
    and let us know how it goes.

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, Sep 5, 2015
  3. Windows 10 automatic repair on loop

My windows 10 operating system is locked in auto repair loop, I have created a windows 10 install dvd put it will not auto start when turning on computor. Just returns to auto repair loop any surgestions.

LizJones114, Sep 5, 2015
  4. Windows 10 loops on repair

Wish I had good news for you, but I don't. I've dealt with Assurion and Verizon on extended warranties for cell phones, and Assurion has absolutely NO SAY over what Acer does and does not do. Once the initial Acer warranty expires, Acer is under no obligation to do anything for you -- regardless of what any tech tells you. So no, they do NOT have to give you a Win7 disk.

To make matters worse, your extended warranty is with Assurion, not with Acer, so regardless of what Acer might have done under their warranty (including send you a set of recovery media), Assurion is under no obligation to match Acer's actions. Sorry, but your issue is with Assurion, not with Acer.

If you contact Acer, they might be willing to sell you a set of full recover media, which will likely be one or more DVDs, which you could then use to do a "factory restore" of your machine -- but that will erase the hard drive, removing all data, settings, and applications.

Mark Phelps, Sep 5, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    This may not work if the Windows installation is fatally messed up (e.g. critical files were deleted), the Windows.old folder has been deleted, have ticked the check mark for Previous Windows installation(s) in Disk Cleanup, or if it has been over a month since upgraded, but there's a chance that 'll be able to downgrade to Windows 7.

To do so, when Startup Repair shows the failure message, click the Advanced options button, Troubleshoot, Advanced options again, Go back to the previous build, and Go back to the previous build again.

Or could attempt a System Reset to be on the safe side (if it works at all). Successfully reverting to Windows 7 but then ending up with a broken Windows 7 installation would suck, because there is no reset option for Windows 7 at all and 'll have to use a disc to reinstall Windows 7.

6. Sweetp59 Win User
    Called Assurion and they said it's a software problem and the extended warranty doesn't cover it. They all point back to Acer.

Sweetp59, Sep 5, 2015
  7. Sweetp59 Win User
    Tried the previous build and there isn't one. Tried System restore to a previous point and there isn't one. Working off cellphone to post here

Sweetp59, Sep 5, 2015
  8. YOU
    You Win User

9. Sweetp59 Win User
    Windows Tech couldn't even get it back to Windows 7. He said I had to get the disk from Acer since they hold the licensing.

Sweetp59, Sep 5, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, sounds like you can't get back to a normal boot sequence. The only way I've found is pretty horrible.

With your battery out (laptop), power up your PC, and almost immediately switch off. Wait a couple of minutes, perform a cold boot. Hopefully you will then see the normal boot sequence start.

How far it gets after that is of course dependent on any fault or corruption.

I've never seen the automatic repair sequence succeed. But the only way out of the loop is for it to succeed, or to force it out of the loop.

Hopefully you use disk imaging ...!

dalchina, Sep 5, 2015
  11. Sweetp59 Win User
    Nope that didn't work. It goes to repair screen, diagnose screen and then automatic repair screen. The latter screen goes to Advanced options, from there it's three choices: 1) continue, exit and continue to Windows (which it doesn't do). 2) Troubleshoot. Reset your PC or see advanced options (it doesn't reset). 3) Turn off your PC. Under #2 advanced options are Reset this PC (which it doesn't do) and Advanced options: System Restore, System Image Recovery, Startup arepair, Command Prompt, Startup Settings (no actual choices) and Go back to the previous build (there is none)

Sweetp59, Sep 5, 2015
  12. dalchina New Member
    Out of curiosity - more than any useful thought- can you get into Safe mode?
    (You'll probably know an in-place repair can only be done once booted normally:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums)

If you had disk images you could use the images to revert to a working state, so I'm assuming you haven't.
    Beyond that it's really beginning to look as if you're in a rescue situation- saving what you can. (There were quite a few recommendations to create a disk image before upgrading).

If so, create a disk image as backup before trying anything else, if you've got data you haven't already backed up.

Have you checked what you think should be on your HDD is actually still there? E.g. use a Boot CD and check the partition structure, run CHKDSK etc..

dalchina, Sep 5, 2015
  13. Sweetp59 Win User

Windows Tech couldn't get me to safe mode. I didn't get asked about backing anything up. I've never upgraded the OS before so this is all new and daunting. Thanks everyone

Sweetp59, Sep 5, 2015
  14. Sweetp59 Win User
    I did try to use the recovery factory default backup disk I created two years ago but it wouldn't recognize or accept those under System Image Recovery

Sweetp59, Sep 5, 2015
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, as it seems you don't have any backups, your priority is to rescue any important data.

Thus you need a suitable bootable CD, and an external USB drive. Boot your PC from the CD, and see if you can access your files and folders. Copy anything important to your USB drive.

Note- if your PC uses UEFI you need to make sure your bootable CD will work with that before you download and create it.

The safest way is to use (e.g.) Aomei backupper free, and create an image of your entire disk on your external USB drive.
    You can mount the image if you wish, and explore it, and extract anything you want. It depends how much critical data you have and how complex it is to find it.

During that you will find out if you can still read your disk.

dalchina, Sep 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 loops on repair - Similar Threads - loops repair

2. Preparing automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preparing automatic repair loop: So this morning my Gateway laptop stopped working. When i booted it up it showed the logo like normal but then it said "preparing automatic repair". Then it went to a blue screen and when it tried to restart, the same thing happened again. I have had this issue for about 8...
  3. Preparing automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preparing automatic repair loop: So this morning my Gateway laptop stopped working. When i booted it up it showed the logo like normal but then it said "preparing automatic repair". Then it went to a blue screen and when it tried to restart, the same thing happened again. I have had this issue for about 8...
  4. Can I uninstall recent windows 10 update during automatic repair loop without admin password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I uninstall recent windows 10 update during automatic repair loop without admin password?: Hi, after updating windows 10 to latest update my pc got stuck in an automatic repair loop and all troubleshoot options, including uninstalling recent update require admin account password which is allegedly incorrect even after resetting it using another pc. I also checked...
  5. Can I uninstall recent windows 10 update during automatic repair loop without admin password?

Can I uninstall recent windows 10 update during automatic repair loop without admin password?: Hi, after updating windows 10 to latest update my pc got stuck in an automatic repair loop and all troubleshoot options, including uninstalling recent update require admin account password which is allegedly incorrect even after resetting it using another pc. I also checked...
  6. Can I uninstall recent windows 10 update during automatic repair loop without admin password?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Screen flickering after windows 11 update and automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen flickering after windows 11 update and automatic repair loop: 2 days before I had a cumulative windows 11 update, after updates my LENOVO-NOTEBOOK-COREI5-1135G7 8GB started with a flickering screen. Since the flickering screen started after the windows update, I did system restore to go into the place where screen is acting normal....
  8. Screen flickering after windows 11 update and automatic repair loop

Screen flickering after windows 11 update and automatic repair loop: 2 days before I had a cumulative windows 11 update, after updates my LENOVO-NOTEBOOK-COREI5-1135G7 8GB started with a flickering screen. Since the flickering screen started after the windows update, I did system restore to go into the place where screen is acting normal....
  9. My Computer is stuck in "preparing For Automatic Repair" loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Computer is stuck in "preparing For Automatic Repair" loop: I guess I should at start from the beginning I purchased a CPU online with a os system, I purchased a 1tb. hard drive with windows 10 os, installed windows 10 booted fine I was online for about 5 minutes when I was in the process of syncing my password over to microsoft when...
  10. My Computer is stuck in "preparing For Automatic Repair" loop

My Computer is stuck in "preparing For Automatic Repair" loop: I guess I should at start from the beginning I purchased a CPU online with a os system, I purchased a 1tb. hard drive with windows 10 os, installed windows 10 booted fine I was online for about 5 minutes when I was in the process of syncing my password over to microsoft when...