Windows 10: Windows 10 machine with BSOD in under 30 seconds every boot, started after 1803 update

Discus and support Windows 10 machine with BSOD in under 30 seconds every boot, started after 1803 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a system running Windows 10 that is fairly new (less than 2 years old). When the 1803 update first came out it hosed the machine - it would not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LightCC, Aug 20, 2018.

1. LightCC Win User

Windows 10 machine with BSOD in under 30 seconds every boot, started after 1803 update

I have a system running Windows 10 that is fairly new (less than 2 years old). When the 1803 update first came out it hosed the machine - it would not get through boot. I don't remember the details any more, but through searching the web stumbled upon something that worked, got it reverted, and kept the 1803 update at bay (I think through some additional advice).

However, this week Microsoft decided to push 1803 again through windows update, and again my machine is hosed. This time it will boot fully into Windows 10, but ALWAYS has a blue screen (BSOD) within about 30 seconds. The exact amount of time varies, but it is NOT enough time to run windows setup to reinstall windows on top of itself.

When it BSODs, the error message appears to be somewhat random, with Memory_Management, an IRQ_Not_Equal, and a KRNL_..., message being the most popular, which to me seems to indicate some bad driver is likely crashing key system files. The dump logs I was able to analyze seemed to indicate this - though I'm not an expert at analyzing dump logs.

Things I have tried:

1. I can boot into safe mode with networking with no issues. Not that this has been helpful yet. Some functions don't work here, I don't know if this is normal, or due to the issue I have - for example, the Settings/Update&Security/Windows Update window is blank (It just says "Windows Update" with nothing else in the screen).
    2. This update appears to have erased all recovery points and not taken one before installing itself, so I cannot restore to an old recovery point.
    3. This update fails when attempting to "go back to an older version of Windows". When this option is selected, it first appears to begin the process, but after a few seconds just returns to the menu/advanced startup sub-menu.

Based on what I have researched so far, there is a good chance that reinstalling windows over top of itself would fix my PC, but it appears that there is no way to do that without already being booted into non-safe mode Windows, which, once again, has a BSOD within about 30 seconds.

Other notes:

1. I do have an Intel SSD, which seems to be causing these types of nasty problems for lots of people (very frustrated at Microsoft + Intel).
    2. I do have a USB with the latest windows downloaded and bootable, and I can boot from it, if needed (granted I cannot preserve my apps with this option unless I can stop the BSODs and get into normal windows - I can only complete a new install with my files saved).
    3. This is not the "no desktop black screen" issue that many have had, but may be related.

I've tried unsuccessfully to look through log/dump files, including switching to "full memory dump", but I wasn't able to find the dump file to analyze it. If anyone has tips on what log file I should be looking at to find the offending file, and/or how to capture it, please let me know.

I appear to be stuck with an updated 1803 system that is BSOD'ing shortly after boot is complete. Please help!

:)

LightCC, Aug 20, 2018
  2. Drone Win User
  3. Jborg Win User
    windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

http://www.disk-partition.com/kb/tips-ssd-optimization-windows7-1.html

Looks to be similar to this: https://www.back2gaming.com/focus-story/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Aug 20, 2018
  4. Alan B Win User

Windows 10 machine with BSOD in under 30 seconds every boot, started after 1803 update

Another Windows 10 1803 Boot Loop

When I start the computer I see:

• The manufacturer's logo (Packard Bell)
    • Windows icon with circling dots
    • Circling dots with no Windows icon
    • Blank screen for about 10 seconds
    • Computer reboots and the sequence repeats
    I had a second unused partition so I have installed a copy of Windows 10 1803 to that. When I booted from my installation media I got a message that an update was in progress and did I want to continue with that. I infer from this that the problem is with
    the 1803 update which has not completed successfully.

So I now have a system which will dual boot, either to my old copy of Windows which is stuck in the loop I described or to a new working copy. My old copy of Windows had some software that I cannot replace so I would like to get it going again

• Startup Repair reports failure
    • Go back to the previous version says "no can do".
    • Trying to boot to Safe Mode produces the same error
    • Disabling automatic restart on system failure makes no difference, there is no BSOD just a reboot.
    • Chkdsk finds no errors on the partition
    • There was an option to boot to a second unlabelled OS but that just caused the crash and reboot to happen more quickly
    • I can get to a command prompt
    • There are probably some other options I tried and have forgotten to mention.
    There is a Windows and a Windows.old folder but the latter is almost empty.

Any suggestions???

Alan B, Aug 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 machine with BSOD in under 30 seconds every boot, started after 1803 update - Similar Threads - machine BSOD under

2. Windows 10 - Black screen every 30 seconds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - Black screen every 30 seconds.: This keeps happening every 30 seconds. The screen goes black for 3seconds~ then everything comes back to normal without doing anything. If i am on browser i can still see the taskbar turning black and if i stay on desktop i can see the entire screen turns back. Even though...
  3. Windows 10 - Black screen every 30 seconds.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - Black screen every 30 seconds.: This keeps happening every 30 seconds. The screen goes black for 3seconds~ then everything comes back to normal without doing anything. If i am on browser i can still see the taskbar turning black and if i stay on desktop i can see the entire screen turns back. Even though...
  4. Windows 10 - Black screen every 30 seconds.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 started freezing every couple of minutes for 15-30 seconds each time after...

Windows 10 started freezing every couple of minutes for 15-30 seconds each time after...: The event log shows an ESENT errors 508 and 510.After several days of trying to solve this case following all the available forums' suggestions and more mostly checking the disks in every possible way, and adding of my own - checking the memory, I finally contemplated that...
  6. Windows 10 started freezing every couple of minutes for 15-30 seconds each time after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 started freezing every couple of minutes for 15-30 seconds each time after...: The event log shows an ESENT errors 508 and 510.After several days of trying to solve this case following all the available forums' suggestions and more mostly checking the disks in every possible way, and adding of my own - checking the memory, I finally contemplated that...
  7. Windows 10 started freezing every couple of minutes for 15-30 seconds each time after...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. BSOD 10 - 30 seconds after bootup

BSOD 10 - 30 seconds after bootup: Hello. I recently updated my HP to Windows 10. During setup after I logged in, I got the BSOD. I thought there was nothing wrong until I logged in and found out that I didn't have Start Menu access. About 10 seconds later, the BSOD came up again. Now every time I log in,...
  9. BSOD 60 seconds after boot every time

BSOD 60 seconds after boot every time: it has given me several reasons for BSOD, such as: unexpected kernel mode trap security check failure and others I forget sorry... I am running in safe mode now without problem for quite a while so I guess it is a driver problem, I hope? here is my debug thing...
  10. BSOD after 30 minutes after boot

BSOD after 30 minutes after boot: I run Win10 under Parallels at MacBook. Few days ago it started to crash about 30 minutes after boot. I don't need to do anything, just wait and it will die. Usually it's REGISTRY_ERROR, but sometimes another error. sfc shows some errors, but they don't look dangerous....