Windows 10: Windows 10 Mail/Windows Live Mail 2012 - can't import from OE6

Discus and support Windows 10 Mail/Windows Live Mail 2012 - can't import from OE6 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Evening, Long time lurker but first time poster here *Smile I have been using Outlook Express 6 on my last machine (Windows XP) for a long time to... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by The Edge, Mar 31, 2018.

1. The Edge Win User

Windows 10 Mail/Windows Live Mail 2012 - can't import from OE6

Evening,

Long time lurker but first time poster here *Smile
    I have been using Outlook Express 6 on my last machine (Windows XP) for a long time to check my POP mailbox. The Inbox.dbx file ended up being over 2GB in size, and OE couldn't read it. No worries, I thought I'll get around to fixing it one day - but never did.

Fast forward to now and I've just purchased a shiny new Windows 10 64-bit machine. It comes with Mail, which (in my opinion) is a horrible, un-customisable application which I really don't want to use.

I have downloaded a copy of Windows Live Mail 2012 which looks a lot better and I'd be happy to use. Issue is, I can't import my old messages from my old machine. I've copied the entire Outlook Express folder to my new machine, and tried to import my Inbox and Sent Items. However, every time I try to do this, I get the error: "No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open." - except I can see the files are there, and nothing else that is accessing them is actually open.

Can anyone give me some pointers here? It would be nice to migrate all my messages over to Windows Live Mail 2012 and start using it on my new machine...

Thanks in advance for any help *Smile

:)

The Edge, Mar 31, 2018
  2. Purple H Win User

Mail in Windows Live Mail 2011 - can I import to Windows 10 Mail?

Just installed Windows 10 (from 7).

All my emails are stored in Windows Live Mail 2011.

Mail in Windows 10 doesn't seem to see these and I can't see a way to import them.

I've received an email from Microsoft saying Live Mail 2011 will no longer be supported, so what do I do??? The email suggests I need to change to Outlook or Live Mail 2012, (but doesn't say how to do this), or to use Windows 10 Mail - but that's no good
    if I can't import my stored mails.

Anyone any suggestions please!

Many thanks, Helen.

Purple H, Mar 31, 2018
  3. Import email accounts settings and emails from Windows Live Mail format into Mail Windows 10

I ended up re-installing Windows Live Mail 2012 and end of story. I just can't wait until Microsoft decides to add the import function into Mail app in Windows 10

robertolito, Mar 31, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

You could try using this free backup/restore program which I used a long time back coming from OE. It can effectively transfer rules, settings, contacts, messages between programs. No need to grovel around getting bits and pieces from wherever MS has chosen to hide them.
    MailStore Home – Free Email Archiving and Backup for Home Users

However if your OE msgs are corrupt and you have no backup, that's another matter.

dalchina, Mar 31, 2018
  5. Helmut Win User
    Windows Live Mail 2012 is no longer supported it is a road to nowhere.

From what I remember about OE 6 was that the folders needed to be regularly compressed to stop corruption. You need all the *.DBX files including Folders.DBX to rescue those.

I just culled and moved all mine into an Outlook Mail account and that is synced with the Windows 10 Mail App.

Ultimately as a last resort you can open *.DBX files in an application like Notepad, Word etc as the substance of the Emails is in plain text.

Helmut, Mar 31, 2018
  6. The Edge Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I really don't want to use the Mail application that comes with Windows 10 (by default) if I can help it - I personally think it looks horrible. At least Windows Mail is customisable.

I suspect my messages may indeed be corrupted as when the file exceeded 2GB suddenly the inbox in OE appeared empty. I have all the .dbx files but they won't import.

Does it sound like my .dbx files are corrupted?

The Edge, Mar 31, 2018
  7. The Edge Win User
    If they are corrupted, can someone suggest a good (preferably free) app to recover them?

The Edge, Apr 1, 2018
  8. The Edge Win User

This is how my Outlook Express folder looks, btw (if this is any help?)

Windows 10 Mail/Windows Live Mail 2012 - can't import from OE6 [​IMG]

The Edge, Apr 1, 2018
  9. Berton Win User
    Berton, Apr 1, 2018
  10. The Edge Win User
    Okay, great and thanks. Will that allow me to export my messages though?

The Edge, Apr 1, 2018
  11. Berton Win User
    Second link, Message Storage section.

Berton, Apr 1, 2018
  12. The Edge Win User
    Thanks, I'll give that a try and report back *Smile

The Edge, Apr 1, 2018
  13. The Edge Win User

Okay that seemed to work - but it imported everything but the Inbox *Sad

The Edge, Apr 2, 2018
  14. The Edge Win User
    The Edge, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Mail/Windows Live Mail 2012 - can't import from OE6 - Similar Threads - Mail Live Mail

2. Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Live Mail 2012: I would appreciated any assistance regarding my Windows Live Mail issue. I can receive and delete any message. I can't send, reply or foreward any email. I get the screen msg: A Problem occurred to open this msg plus A problem occurred Please try again...
  3. Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Live Mail 2012: I would appreciated any assistance regarding my Windows Live Mail issue. I can receive and delete any message. I can't send, reply or foreward any email. I get the screen msg: A Problem occurred to open this msg plus A problem occurred Please try again...
  4. Import contacts from Live Mail to Mail on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Import contacts from Live Mail to Mail on Windows 10: I have my contacts from Live Mail in a cvs file...how do I import them into my new computer with Mail on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/import-contacts-from-live-mail-to-mail-on-windows/2edaa469-79ac-4cf7-84d8-99d65a999e77
  5. Windows Live Mail 2012

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Live Mail 2012: Hello, We use Windows Live Mail, but since yesterday we cannot send any mails anymore. The mails we receive have following error message : The message cannot be displayed Windows Live Mail has detected an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check that...
  6. windows live mail 2012

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    windows live mail 2012: had login screen come up and put in password.said ok screen come right back. had to call spectrum reset password now cannot receive my emails. beanner61 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-mail-2012/829e29db-dfac-4df8-8a10-11bbe2edc146
  7. Windows Live mail 2012

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Live mail 2012: I use live mail 2012 and was aware of the end of support. 2 days ago I find my access to my emails has been blocked by error0x800C013E. Not able to send or receive and not able to open any of my email folders. No idea how to resolve. Can someone help?...
  8. Can I Import Live Mail 2012 to Windows 10 Mail?

in Browsers and Email
    Can I Import Live Mail 2012 to Windows 10 Mail?: I've used WLM 2012 with Windows 7 and it has worked fine all these years. After installing 10 I see it contains its own Mail app. Is it possible to transfer all my emails and settings from WLM to Mail? 12009
  9. windows live mail 2012

in Browsers and Email
    windows live mail 2012: Hi I have just installed windows 10 upgrade and everything is fine but my email. I use WLM 2012 for work with my work signature on it and it wont work properly. It seems to give this error message when i try and send " the message cannot be sent an error has occured"....
  10. windows live mail 2012

in Browsers and Email
    windows live mail 2012: I am a newbe to this forum. I just bought an I Pad and I am trying to have my emails transfer into it from my Windows Live mail 2012. I know it is no longer support by Micro Soft. The I Pad set up is asking me questions I can't answer. Can anyone help me please? 92086