Windows 10: Windows 10 MCT to DVD vs USB

Discus and support Windows 10 MCT to DVD vs USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When upgrading to Windows 10 with MCT, should I create DVD or USB, any pros or cons of each media type? There has been cases of USB attack vector. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Keith Weisshar, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Windows 10 MCT to DVD vs USB

When upgrading to Windows 10 with MCT, should I create DVD or USB, any pros or cons of each media type? There has been cases of USB attack vector. Is there a way to write protect the USB after creating the setup media? The DVD is automatically finalized and write protected after burning with ImgBurn. I contacted the UFD manufacturer and they said the USB drive are not infallible and more easily corruptible than DVD. They have warnings about static electricity, radiation scanning through USPS, improper removal of USB drive. All of those is listed on Caring for your Flash Memory | Kingston Technology
    . Power surge can damage a USB drive if it happens while installing Windows?

:)

Keith Weisshar, Jul 31, 2015
  2. Andrei V. Win User

windows 10 update failure

Use the ISO to do the upgrade. You can download it using the MCT tool from here:

Download Windows 10

Be careful to choose the correct version of Windows and the correct architecture.

After creating the install media (either USB drive or DVD), just run the setup.exe from the USB or DVD drive root.

It will do the upgrade and it will be fine.

Andrei V., Jul 31, 2015
  3. WayneRupp Win User
    Media Creation Tool "New Version"

Hello Janis,

I just downloaded the MCT 10:45 A.M. PST. and the version is 16299.15.

I'm wondering whether you might have downloaded the MCT before they updated it to 16299.15?. Previously the MCT was 15063. but has now become 16299.15

You can determine the version of the MCT download by right clicking the download in file explorer and selecting "Properties" and then selecting "Details". This will reveal the Version number. You want 16299.15

If your download is the wrong version simply delete it, and redownload the current MCT. If you made installation media, wipe it, by formatting it within file explorer...right clicking the USB/DVD drive and selecting format. Format as FAT32

If any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Wayne

WayneRupp, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 MCT to DVD vs USB

1. Windows 10 MCT to DVD vs USB - Similar Threads - MCT DVD USB

2. Windows 10 version vs External DVD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 version vs External DVD drive: A new external USB DVD drive works on some Windows 10 computers but not others. VLC Media Player 3.0.11 would not play a DVD with the new drive attached to a fairly new laptop with Windows 10 pro. It did work on an older laptop with Windows 10 enterprise version 17134. It did...
  3. MCT boot usb

in Windows 10 Support
    MCT boot usb: Is it possible to move the boot media from one USB drive to another one with out having to create one. Example: I have a 8gb MCT bootable USB with version 1909 on it. Can I move/transfer it to another USB drive? 161010
  4. Mct usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mct usb: I have a USB 64 GB (my first one of this size) with the 20H1 ISO using the MCT. Can I still use it as storage and still be able to boot from it. All my other USB drives are 8 gb or less. So no big deal for an "only" single use USB drive. 160310
  5. Windows 10 vs. DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 vs. DVD: Hi to all If Frederik Long reads this; I appreciate your response to my recent tirade, which was not directed at individuals, but was the result of 3 weeks of frustration. This is my first post, it is true, but I have been attempting to resolve the problem as set out below,...
  6. Windows 10 usb/dvd not compatible

Windows 10 usb/dvd not compatible: My pc dose not accept windows 10 instalition media through usb or dvd it has accepted linux and freedos when i try a windows 10 usb it shows me the rog icon then the loading dots pop up and freeze after a few seconds then freezes last tome i tried it also gave me bsod even...
  7. Microsoft MCT / USB issue

Microsoft MCT / USB issue: Hello everyone just had a question, im going to be upgrading my HHD to a SSD but im going to be reinstalling windows from my USB by downloading the Microsoft Creation Tool. The MCT is telling me I don't have the 8gb space on my USB but its a 128GB USB with nothing on it. What...
  8. USB made with MCT does not boot!

USB made with MCT does not boot!: Admittedly, since it's been around 2 years since I tried to boot a PC using the USB media made from the MCT, but unless my memory is faulty, I recall being able to boot from it. I tried to boot my crashed HP laptop using a new USB and it would not boot. I tried three...
  9. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) on a USB Flash stick?

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) on a USB Flash stick?: Hello Currently I installed Windows 10 Pro build 10586.0 from my USB flash drive created from the Media Creation Tool (MCT). My question is, I noticed that Microsoft has recently updated the MCT to the latest build. Before I decide to put this latest build onto my USB...
  10. Win 10 ISO MCT vs ISO-DL page

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 ISO MCT vs ISO-DL page: So there are 2 ways to download ISOs for Windows 10: Windows 10 <--- Downloads a tool you can use to generate your own ISO. and Windows 10 ISO <--- Downloads the ISO straight from MS (same as MSDN) If you try and access the second page from a Windows PC (with IE, FF...