Windows 10: Windows 10 memory usage on Asus T100

Discus and support Windows 10 memory usage on Asus T100 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I've finally finished installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my Asus T100. First impressions are great. If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by J0nDaFr3aK, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Windows 10 memory usage on Asus T100

Hi everyone,
    I've finally finished installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 on my Asus T100. First impressions are great. If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't use as much disk space as Windows 8.1. I have 20 gigs of memory free out of the 29 available. Which is great. Plus, the OS feels smoother and faster.

I have a question. I've noticed in the Task Manager that the OS when idle uses only 500-600 MB of ram. Is it possible? Win 8.1 used up to 1.2-1.3 GB when idle. Are 500MB final, or when the OS is released is it going to use more ram?

:)

J0nDaFr3aK, Mar 27, 2015

2. Win 10 for Asus T100 ???

Is it possible to upgrade the Asus T100, which is Win 8.1 , to Win10? From what I've looked up, Win 10 download takes a large amount of memory, but the T100 doesn't have a lot of extra memory. I do have all the photos, etc stored on a SD card, but free
    space on the device is just 4.6 GB.

LoisGarbisch, Mar 27, 2015
  3. updating on asus transformer book t100

I have no free space on windows drive, I have asus transformer book (asus t100) with 32 gb of storage, the installer requires 16gb of free space, my asus T100 also have a 32gb sd card (external) and a 500gb hard drive on the dock (keyboard). Can I use it
    somehow to upgrade to last version of windows 10?

I am using windows 10 version 10240.

BelyRodriguez Morales, Mar 27, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Windows 10 memory usage on Asus T100

"Idle" really doesn't tell you much. If you just booted up, then it won't have a lot of memory allocated. However, once you start using it, then it will start caching more things and use more memory. This memory is typically available to be reclaimed by applications running in the system though, so you typically don't have to worry about it.

The OS allocates its initial buffers and caches based on the size of available memory in your system, so a system with 2GB of free RAM will start with less memory "available' than one with 4GB or 8GB.

Mystere, Mar 27, 2015
  5. I understand. Thanks for the answer. Yet, Windows 8 would use more memory at the beginning of each session. I know the official system requirements are the same as Windows 8, but I was just wondering whether someone had noticed a lower memory usage or it was just me.

J0nDaFr3aK, Mar 27, 2015
  6. NickTh Win User
    That's the "secret".
    Recently I upgraded the RAM from 4GBs to 6GBs and I noticed also an "upgrade" in Win8.1 usage of RAM.

NickTh, Mar 27, 2015
  7. Yes, I noticed that on my desktop pc with 8 gigs of ram. Windows 10 allocates like 2.5 gigs on boot up.

J0nDaFr3aK, Mar 27, 2015
  8. LMiller7 Win User

Within reasonable limits the more memory you have the more Windows will use. This is a good thing and the reason why a computer with 16 GB of RAM is faster than one with 2 GB, when running the exact same software.

The basic principle is that at any given time the amount of code and data in use is almost always larger then the size of RAM. So Windows can only keep a subset of this in RAM while the rest must remain in the original files or the pagefile. This isn't as bad as it sounds because most of the data that is not in RAM isn't used very often anyway. The more RAM you have the larger this subset will be and the less often the OS will have to go to the disk. Windows knows what data has been recently accessed and what has not so it is able to make intelligent choices about what should be in RAM and what should not. And these choices are continually being revised as the situation changes.

None of this is new. NT 3.1 was doing all of this back in 1993 but modern systems do it better. With only 12 MB RAM (the specified minimum for NT 3.1) there wasn't room for sophisticated memory management.

LMiller7, Mar 28, 2015
  9. Very interesting. Thanks for the thorough explanation

J0nDaFr3aK, Mar 28, 2015
  10. m0sh3g Win User
    So here's my sitation: I'm sharing my desktop between working and playing games. I have 16GB and v10041 (which can't upgrade to v10130 but that's a different issue)

When Windows boots, it's using about 2.8GB of RAM. After a day of working with it, the memory appears to be fully used, but I can't find the RAM consuming processes in the Task Manager or Procexp.exe (the sum of RAM used by processes shown doesn't add up to total use), so I can't free the memory. Contrary to your claim, the OS doesn't release memory for the game, so the game is unplayable. Now I have to reboot the computer. I don't think this concept was fully thought through.

EDIT: I didn't have this problem with Windows 7

m0sh3g, Jun 8, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    Why can't you download the 10130 ISO from Microsoft and upgrade directly?

What game? What else are you doing? Are you running virtual machines?

When you say "appears to be fully used", what do you mean? Can you post a screenshot of your Peformance tab with the Memory section selected? As well as a list of processes?

Mystere, Jun 8, 2015
  12. m0sh3g Win User
    Of course I've tried ISO upgrade. It just says error, can't upgrade and asks to reboot. The automatic upgrade also says so without helpful information. Another annoying part is that automatic upgrade requires reboot each time it mandatory tries to upgrade and fails. The Internets says it's a common issue with v10041. Too bad the Windows 7 upgrade script downloads this version even though newer ones are available.

BF4, no virtual machines.

For the purposes of demonstration, I've closed my current tasks which freed up couple of gigs. But you can see that the list of processes doesn't warrant current 11G consumption. If I'd leave it overnight it would go back to using 15.8G

TinyGrab - Simple. Screenshot. Sharing.
    TinyGrab - Simple. Screenshot. Sharing.

m0sh3g, Jun 8, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

So the interesting part of your second screenshot is the "Non-paged pool" size. When you get a non-paged pool that large, it's usually leaky device driver of some sort.

There are tools to try and track this down, but on x64 it can be difficult and very involved digging through the guts of the kernel page tables. However, if you search google for device driver leak paged pool you should come up with good info.

Mystere, Jun 8, 2015
  14. m0sh3g Win User
    I've tried procexp.exe:
    * run as admin
    * show processes from all users
    * show unnamed handles and mappings
    * show nonpaged pool

None of the processes use much.. So yeah, probably a driver...

I'm downloading WDK for poolmon.exe, didn't find a separate download.

m0sh3g, Jun 8, 2015
  15. You have to remember some software you install automatically installs service type apps that run at startup. Google does this and Itunes does this. This will also affect resources.

orlbuckeye, Jun 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 memory usage on Asus T100 - Similar Threads - memory usage Asus

2. I have problems with the audio at my ASUS T100

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have problems with the audio at my ASUS T100: It is not working. I tried to resolve the prblem without any luck https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-problems-with-the-audio-at-my-asus-t100/361df6bb-9022-4e1b-9d99-9f2b614c5986
  3. I have problems with the audio at my ASUS T100

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have problems with the audio at my ASUS T100: It is not working. I tried to resolve the prblem without any luck https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-problems-with-the-audio-at-my-asus-t100/361df6bb-9022-4e1b-9d99-9f2b614c5986
  4. windows 10 memory usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 memory usage: orywhen i opened the task manager and opened the resource monitor it is showing that in memory theirs is 1237MB usage of standby memory so my request is there will no problem to windows if we remove the standby memory...
  5. Asus T100 Transformer Book lost Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Asus T100 Transformer Book lost Windows 10: I have a Asus T100 that originally came with windows 8.1. I got the free upgrade over the internet to windows 10. It recently died and I had to reset it to factory settings. It went back to windows 8.1. Is there any way I can get windows 10 back. I do not have a copy of...
  6. Asus t100

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Asus t100: I have an Asus t100ta with a detachable keyboard with a 500gb drive. I an looking into buying a t100ha and wondering if it will work with my current keyboard. all that memory is hard to give up....
  7. Asus t100 upgrade to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Asus t100 upgrade to windows 10: Once I was invited to up grade from windows 8 to 10 on my Asus t100, but when I tried to do it I didn't upgrade because the memory on fixed disk was not enough. Then I abandoned to upgrade but now a lot of the app doesn't work. What I have to do now? Can I update to windows...
  8. Windows 10 No sound on Asus T100 with Intel SST Audio Device (WDM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 No sound on Asus T100 with Intel SST Audio Device (WDM: Hi there, Computer says "No Audio Output Device is installed" in notifications bar. In Device Manger it is there in the list however has an exclamation mark. Have tried to uninstall & reboot and even tried manually reinstalling however it says that windows can't do...
  9. Anniversary update on Asus T100 not enough space

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary update on Asus T100 not enough space: Anyone know how to solve the problem of "not enough hard disk space" when trying to put the Anniversary update on an Asus T100. I have a 64Gb sdcard in as well but I assume the update must be ignoring that. Tried clearing out as much as I could from the main ssd but still...
  10. Windows 10 on ASUS T100

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 on ASUS T100: Just installed W10 on this little convertible netbook as an upgrade. All went very well. Requires the 32-bit version as that is all this box can support. For info, this has 2Gb RAM and 64Gb SSD. Not the fastest box in the world, but it does run very well. W10 so far...