Windows 10: Windows 10 Metadata Tags no longer functioning after version 1803 for .MOV files Error...

Discus and support Windows 10 Metadata Tags no longer functioning after version 1803 for .MOV files Error... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I've been using Microsoft Photo Gallery for years. Very successfully. My library currently consists of over 75,000 photos and videos and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PhotoGuyBK, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Metadata Tags no longer functioning after version 1803 for .MOV files Error...

So I've been using Microsoft Photo Gallery for years. Very successfully. My library currently consists of over 75,000 photos and videos and the tagging feature of the application and Windows Explorer in general makes it possible to manage a large library and instantly access what you're looking for.

Background:

Until recently, any file, photo or video except .MTS files could be tagged in Photo Gallery and the Title, Tags, People, Comments, Rating, etc. would immediately be reflected in the actual object file photo or video. This makes it possible to locate files OUTSIDE of the Photo Gallery application and also makes it possible to rebuild the database in the application if there is ever a problem. This is an extremely comprehensive way to maintain these files especially since one spends hundred of hours tagging and polishing all of these files so that they are actually useful and it would otherwise be impossible to locate a specific photo thru other means.

The Problem:

Now, when I add tags within the Photo Gallery application, the application stores the tag information but Windows does not store the tag in the file itself as it once did. Furthermore, if I manually try to edit a TAG in the properties dialog of Windows Explorer, the following error occurs:

Error 0x80004001: Not Implemented

Windows 10 Metadata Tags no longer functioning after version 1803 for .MOV files Error... a9701f97-997f-4ec7-9313-c3889d072c20?upload=true.jpg

Since the tags are now no longer updating in the file itself, they are only being stored in the Photo Gallery database. That's fine as long as the app is still working but since it is was discontinued by Microsoft and is no longer supported, there is no guarantee it will function forever. Therefore, all of the hours spent updating metadata for 75000 files will be lost as soon as the database crashes. Previously, when the metadata tags were stored in the file itself, the solution was permanent and portable to any other similar application without re-tagging the files. The Photo Gallery database is proprietary and only editable by Microsoft.

Microsoft obviously removed the Windows Explorer user GUI interface to access these tags in a recent update, intentionally or not. Interestingly, I can still tag .MP4 files but cannot tag .MOV files. Upon further investigation, all files that were previously tagged still maintain the tag and when viewing the file properties in Windows Explorer, all is in tact. If I copy one of these files to a machine running Windows 10 version 1803, all original functionality remains and I do not receive the above error! Most definitely a problem introduced in a subsequent update to Windows 10.

My Question:

How can this functionality be restored? Is there a Group Policy which can be edited? Can Microsoft respond to this? I have read a lot of forum questions about this problem and Microsoft has not weighed in, suggesting it is perhaps an intentional change to create a problem for non-Microsoft vendors and their users? Coincidentally or not, Apple movie files have a .MOV extension. This is a major problem for those of us who use tagging and I would appreciate a thoughtful and comprehensive response from Microsoft. There is no need for me to try troubleshooting as this problem is well documented on this site, works fine on 1803 but is confirmed broken on several version 1903 and 1909 machines . Please provide a reason and resolution as all of us utilizing tagging are at risk and exposed until this problem is resolved.

Thank you in advance.

BK

:)

PhotoGuyBK, Jan 28, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 10 April 2018 Update(SCU) Partially Breaks MKV File Support?

Yeah, they play perfectly fine.

Thanks, this did the trick perfectly!

I'm scratching my head then, because so far every computer I update to 1803, even fresh installs, can no longer read the details of mkv files. But at least icaros fixes the problem for now. Hopefully the bug is fixed in Windows natively eventually.

newtekie1, Jan 28, 2020
  3. jld4444 Win User
    Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files

I'm running Windows 10, fully updated. All of a sudden and for no apparent reason, I'm unable to update any metadata/tags for audio and video files. Haven't tried to update metadata for other types of files.

It's very important to me to be able to edit the metadata/tags on audio files so that my 14,000+ audio files organize correctly for playlists, etc., and I like proper metadata on video files as good practice.

Audio files are largely .mp3, and video files are either .mp4 or .wmv.

I have tried Properties > Details on individual files in File Explorer and several tag/metadata editors that have worked great for years. Some tag editors will show the metadata/tags it allegedly saved, but when I go back to File Explorer
    they're not there. I have also ensured that the same metadata/tag categories I edited in tag editors display in File Explorer.

I've also tried some suggestions from forums:

• Making sure proper permissions are granted
    • Ensuring I'm signed in to Microsoft
    • Copying a file and trying to edit the copy's metadata/tags
    • Copying the files to new and existing other folders and trying to edit
    • Ensuring the files are not read-only

Any ideas on what could have made the metadata/tags uneditable all of a sudden, and more importantly how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

jld4444, Jan 28, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Metadata Tags no longer functioning after version 1803 for .MOV files Error...

Clear the 'cache' in file explorer for already used picture tags?

If you set some tags for your *.jpg pictures, the windows 10 file explorer shows them in the "details pane" on the right side.

Windows 10 Metadata Tags no longer functioning after version 1803 for .MOV files Error... [​IMG]

This list can get very long and with some wrong or no longer used entries.
    How can I clear this list / cache / suggestions?

Or how can I stop the file explorer to suggests already used Tags?

WTenNewbie, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Metadata Tags no longer functioning after version 1803 for .MOV files Error...

1. Windows 10 Metadata Tags no longer functioning after version 1803 for .MOV files Error... - Similar Threads - Metadata Tags longer

2. File Explorer and media metadata tags

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer and media metadata tags: I don't want file explorer to show ANY media metadata on my entire computer or drive. I have applications for that.I've changed the drive properties > Customize selected "Documents" and checked to flow to sub folders, but when a new folder is created that contains music it...
  3. File Explorer and media metadata tags

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer and media metadata tags: I don't want file explorer to show ANY media metadata on my entire computer or drive. I have applications for that.I've changed the drive properties > Customize selected "Documents" and checked to flow to sub folders, but when a new folder is created that contains music it...
  4. .opus audio file tags, metadata

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .opus audio file tags, metadata: How do I set Windows File Explorer in Windows 10 to display tags - metadata of .opus audio files?The opus could be the best free audio encoder, only struggling with compatibility issues in Windows File Explorer and Media Player....
  5. Metadata no longer supported

in Windows 10 Support
    Metadata no longer supported: Hey gang, you have been very helpful fixing other problems that my friends have ! So here is the problem, my friend sent me: I'm sure you already know Microsoft has cancelled the service supplying metadata for windows media player which means I can't get album art or track...
  6. .MOV files -

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    .MOV files -: what sw do i need to download to view these video files to see and hear them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mov-files/c7b6183e-4aff-4ab5-b8b1-d489560e2485
  7. Metadata & Tags in photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metadata & Tags in photos: I have a folder of 250 photos with various tags applied to each of them. The photos are at full resolution. I need to down res the 250 photos and place in another folder. If I resize these photos but keep the same photo names, is it possible to copy the metadata tags and...
  8. After 1803, batch file no longer works

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After 1803, batch file no longer works: I'm having with the batch file below on computers that have Windows 10 1803. This script works fine on Windows 10 1709 and earlier as well as Windows 7. The only error I get when I run this on 1803 is Error 1603. I've tried the various fixes online with no success (sorry,...
  9. Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments: Hi, just come across this File Metadata (free) which I think will interest you- seems very competent in tagging files. At the bottom I've added a note about StyleFolder (free), which adds comments to folders. If you want to add comments, tags, metadata to files, this is...
  10. Groove Music Ignores Tagging & Metadata

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Groove Music Ignores Tagging & Metadata: Hello, Windows 10's Groove Music app ignores every modification I make to albums downloaded from the Microsoft Store. Whether it's song/album titles or cover art, Groove continues to display the music as it was before my changes, while other media players have no problems...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot