Windows 10: Windows 10 Metro Apps icons looking weird in taskbar

Discus and support Windows 10 Metro Apps icons looking weird in taskbar in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi everyone Some time ago I remember having trouble installing an update to some Metro app on my Windows 10 laptop (running Windows 10 Education... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DarkShadow641, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Metro Apps icons looking weird in taskbar

Hi everyone

Some time ago I remember having trouble installing an update to some Metro app on my Windows 10 laptop (running Windows 10 Education with a 64GB SD Card in 24/7, new Metro apps are set to save there). I was finally able to get it to install by clearing the Store cache and some other stuff that I don't quite remember. Right after the update installed and everything went back to normal I noticed the icons for some Metro apps started looking like if they were in some kind of box in the taskbar, as shown on the attached picture. Fast forward to today and it's starting to annoy me and would like to know if there's a way to fix this.

Thanks!

:)

DarkShadow641, Jul 18, 2017
  2. Sasha Grey, Jul 18, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Metro Apps (No icons, weird titles)

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Let’s try with some steps which helps you resolving the issue.

Step 1: Perform a clean boot and check if issue persists.

To disable all non-Microsoft services consult the article called Clean Boot.

Follow:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

Disclaimer: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows.
    You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Step 2: Run a Windows app troubleshooter and check.

Refer:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Step 3: I would also suggest you to try creating a new user account and check if issue persists.

Click on the below link to check how to create new user account linking a Microsoft account
    in Windows 10

Microsoft Support link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-microsoft-account

Note: Install all the pending updates after logging in to Microsoft account and check.

Keep us informed for any further queries. We are glad to help you.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 18, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Windows 10 Metro Apps icons looking weird in taskbar

If you are talking about second from right, it's a generic icon presented when icon in the APP/program is not recognized or read. Maybe you can try reinstalling same APP. All other ones look normal. Icons are built in APP/program with exceptions of icons for data files that take the shape of icon of program associated with it. Icons for UWP apps mostly can take different shapes according to their sizes.

CountMike, Jul 18, 2017
  5. Yeah, I'm talking about the two apps on the very right, which are the Sticky Notes app and the Weather app. Both Metro apps. I started looking around Google on how to maybe sort of reset Sticky Notes and stumbled upon this article (How To Reset Or Reinstall Sticky Notes In Windows 10). So I reset Sticky Notes and the icon is back to normal. I guess I just needed to think a little...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback. It did help!

DarkShadow641, Jul 18, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    Glad you fixed it. I have couple of desktop programs that loose icon every now and then.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Metro Apps icons looking weird in taskbar

1. Windows 10 Metro Apps icons looking weird in taskbar - Similar Threads - Metro Apps icons

2. Taskbar looks weird

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar looks weird: Why does my taskbar look like this? I also get a spinning circle when I mouse over the Start Menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-looks-weird/f71811e0-bd89-4392-bb66-d3ef885e203f
  3. Taskbar looks weird

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar looks weird: Why does my taskbar look like this? I also get a spinning circle when I mouse over the Start Menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-looks-weird/f71811e0-bd89-4392-bb66-d3ef885e203f
  4. weird looking folder icons, windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    weird looking folder icons, windows 10: my power went out yesterday, and when i turned on my pc, the folders on my desktop looked like this still do anyone know why ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-looking-folder-icons-windows-10/e7618c5b-a717-4594-ae07-a2b9c9af215b
  5. weird looking folder icons, windows 10

weird looking folder icons, windows 10: my power went out yesterday, and when i turned on my pc, the folders on my desktop looked like this still do anyone know why ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-looking-folder-icons-windows-10/e7618c5b-a717-4594-ae07-a2b9c9af215b
  6. Apps icons looking weird on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps icons looking weird on desktop: Hello, this may very well be a silly question, but today some of my icons on my desktop started looking like this:the apps work normally when i click on the icons, but i just don't understand why they look like this and it's kinda bugging me. i tried restarting my laptop and...
  7. Apps icons looking weird on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps icons looking weird on desktop: Hello, this may very well be a silly question, but today some of my icons on my desktop started looking like this:the apps work normally when i click on the icons, but i just don't understand why they look like this and it's kinda bugging me. i tried restarting my laptop and...
  8. Apps icons looking weird on desktop

9. Broken Windows 10 Metro Icon in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken Windows 10 Metro Icon in Taskbar: I just upgraded my desktop PC to Windows 10 today and found a bug. I have a laptop which I upgraded few days ago and went just fine without having this kind of problem. As the screenshot shows, it incorrectly display Microsoft Edge, Store, and Calculator icon. Any other...
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working: I have upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1 and been using it for the last week now with no problems. Today, during a mandatory update my pc went blue screen and said it had to restart. Once it restarted it updated and booted fine. However after the update I realized that my...