Windows 10: Windows 10 & Missing Desktop Icons

Discus and support Windows 10 & Missing Desktop Icons in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; - Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit I was repairing, uninstalling, and installing an app yesterday. In the process, I somehow managed to delete many, but not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Stecyk, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Stecyk Win User

Windows 10 & Missing Desktop Icons

- Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit

I was repairing, uninstalling, and installing an app yesterday. In the process, I somehow managed to delete many, but not all, of my desktop icons. My guess is that I lost about 60 to 75 percent of my prior desktop icons.

My desktop icons are just shortcuts to various programs. Although I don't have a complete inventory of my prior desktop icons, I noticed that various Adobe apps (cloud, and various apps such as Lightroom, Acrobat, and others), Acronis Backup, Powershell, Intel SSD Toolbox, CCleaner and so on went missing.

I checked my Recycle Bin and there was nothing there.

This morning, I thought that I would simply reach into my Acronis Backup to the Desktop folder, and retrieve my missing shortcuts. When I went to the Desktop folder, the only shortcuts that were present were the ones that survived yesterday's purge. My prior shortcuts that went missing were still missing.

While I was trying to understand what took place, I upgraded my Acronis Backup from 12.0 to 12.5. In the process, Acronis Backup created a desktop icon. I looked at my current Desktop folder, and there is *no* Acronis Backup shortcut file listed. So that leads me to my questions:

Question One: Why do some shortcuts have files in the Desktop folder, while other shortcuts do not?

Question Two: Is there any way to save or protect one's desktop?

Here's the path to my desktop folder:
    C:\Users\UserName\Desktop

On the positive side, my desktop is cleaner now.

I'd appreciate input on my two prior questions.

:)

Stecyk, Jul 4, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Jul 4, 2018
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jul 4, 2018
  4. Windows 10 & Missing Desktop Icons

Missing desktop icons

Hi,

In order for us to address your concern about the missing desktop icons, kindly answer the following questions first:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer system prior to getting this issue?
    • What is the current version and build of your Windows 10? To get these information follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Once the Run box appears, type Winver.
    • Press Enter.
    • A small window will appear which will show these information.

(You may need to update your Windows computer, please refer to this
    support link
    to get information about Windows update history as well as how to update your device.)

• Aside from doing the commands above, what are other troubleshooting steps have you taken for your missing desktop icons issue?

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Jul 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 & Missing Desktop Icons

1. Windows 10 & Missing Desktop Icons - Similar Threads - Missing Desktop Icons

2. Desktop Icons missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons missing: On 7/17/22 Windows did an update KB5015807 and I lost my Desktop Icons and some other apps. I have tried the suggested fix its discussed online but the have not fixed the problem.Please advise what I need to do to get my Windows 10 Desktop running again/Thank you!...
  3. Desktop Icons missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icons missing: On 7/17/22 Windows did an update KB5015807 and I lost my Desktop Icons and some other apps. I have tried the suggested fix its discussed online but the have not fixed the problem.Please advise what I need to do to get my Windows 10 Desktop running again/Thank you!...
  4. Desktop Icons missing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop icons missing

Desktop icons missing: Greetings, I had an issue with my desktop icons missing in windows 10. I had them in the file explorer but not the actual desktop.turns out you can right click the background go to view and select "show desktop icons" I don't know what its an option but this will show/hide...
  6. Desktop Icons missing Windows 10

Desktop Icons missing Windows 10: I touched something on my desktop by mistake and the following screen appeared. Its the blue screen on the right and not the other parts shown. Its a picture of the screen sent to my other computer by email. How do I get back to the desktop screen. Thanks, Residential Plus...
  7. Windows 10 pro desktop icons missing

Windows 10 pro desktop icons missing: My desktop only shows 1 or 2 icons instead of many. Sometimes the one icon seems compressed. I have tried all typical fixes like scaling and right right clicking on the desktop. Also tried deleting icon cache. Nothing seems to work....
  8. Icons on my Desktop of Windows 10 are missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Icons on my Desktop of Windows 10 are missing: Hello, Yesterday i was kind of multitasking in my computer, exporting and in the same time coding, until my computer freezes and then everything faded away. So i turned off then turned on my computer, and that is where i got to see that my desktop icons are gone. The...
  9. Desktop Icons missing

Desktop Icons missing: After booting, the desktop icons do not appear. Also, when starting a program from task bar or start menu, the program or window does not open. After 2-3 reboots, the problem seems to fix itself ?? Comments welcome !...
  10. desktop icons missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    desktop icons missing: after update on July 10 about 80% of my sesktop icons are missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/desktop-icons-missing/7bd06860-79be-4525-9499-ea4fbfcd1e28

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 80% of my desktop icons are missing

2. dell optiplex 7060 video problems missing icons

3. desktop icons disappeared windows 10

4. black bar at bottom of screen missing icons with optiplex 7060 windows 10