Windows 10: Windows 10 Mobile hotspot not working because of firewall

Discus and support Windows 10 Mobile hotspot not working because of firewall in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! Im currently only able to have ethernet internet, but im also trying to share this connection through windows 10 "mobile hotspot" to give wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by evancclayton, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Mobile hotspot not working because of firewall

Hi!

Im currently only able to have ethernet internet, but im also trying to share this connection through windows 10 "mobile hotspot" to give wifi to my other devices.

The problem is when my firewall is on, the mobile hotspot doesnt work but as soon as I turn it off it works perfectly fine.

How do I allow windows 10 mobile hotspot through the firewall?

Thank you very much in advance!

:)

evancclayton, Oct 13, 2016

2. Mobile Hotspot feature not working after Fall Creators Update(1709)

I completely uninstalled Norton then rebooted. Windows Defender Firewall was then in use. I followed the instructions to reset to Firewall defaults. Once complete I tried the Mobile Hotspot and the same problem exists. Once the Mobile Hotspot is enabled,
    devices can connect but no internet connection. I also tried via Hostednetwork for completeness and the same problem exists there too.

Just to reiterate, this was working perfectly until the Fall Creators update installed and hasn't worked since.

Thanks,

Mark Punter, Oct 13, 2016
  3. Devices through Mobile hotspot with limited internet access Windows 10

I'm having some issues with the Mobile hotspot in Windows 10 Pro (Version 1703).

My Android device can connect to my laptop HP ProBook 440 G3 hotspot but with limited internet access. This is 'solved' by turning-off the Windows Firewall. So I would like to know what rule should I create or allow to have internet access in my Android
    device but without turning-off my Windows Firewall.

Consider this:

- No other Antivirus/Firewall software installed in my laptop or Android device

- I'm connecting using Mobile Hotspot function, not by 'netsh' command line.

- When I run the command 'netsh wlan show drivers' the result is 'Hosted network supported : No', but even though, the hotspot works using the Mobile Hotspot. The hotspot can't be configurated in my laptop by 'netsh' command line.

- When Mobile Hotspot is enable, the virtual network created (Local Area Connection * 13) is set as Public Network. I'm not sure if it's possible to set the virtual network as Private.

- I've tried checking the option 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' and selecting the Local Area Connection * 13 as 'Home Networking Connection' from the Sharing menu of my Ethernet adapter.

- I'm connected through a non-restricted network.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Eduardo AbrahamMendoza Castellanos, Oct 13, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Windows 10 Mobile hotspot not working because of firewall

In general, if the firewall is acting to block mobile hotspot access, an exception to "punch a hole through the firewall" must somehow be created to permit it to provide wifi access to other users. The exact details on how to do this depends on which firewall you're using. Because you didn't provide that information in your original post, please share it now. Then others (including me) can make more pointed suggestions about how to proceed.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 13, 2016
  5. Hi! Thanks for your help. Its just the firewall thats preinstalled on windows 10.

evancclayton, Oct 13, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    OK, thanks: that's the Windows firewall, then. There's an tutorial for this kind of thing, too. Have you already run these command line items? If not, try 'em out. If so, please let me know and I'll research further.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 14, 2016
  7. Hi Ed,

Again thanks for your help. I ran the command lines and it says "Hosted Network Support - No". However, thats strange because my hotspot was working totally fine before upgrading windows 10. And like I said before, if I turn my firewall off it works but as soon as the firewall turns back on it doesnt work. I even tried rolling back the drivers and still nothing.

evancclayton, Oct 15, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

Have you tried turning the mobile hotspot on as explained in Part 1 of the tutorial? Windows often/usually resets networking stuff to defaults after a major upgrade (like the AU) and it might just be turned off. If it says Hosted Network Support - No that's supposed to mean it's turned off according to the way I read the docs. Try it, please, and see what happens.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 16, 2016
  9. Hi, Yes I tried what it said on the first line but it doesnt work. It says:

C:\Users\Evan>NETSH WLAN set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Your_SSID key=hellohellohello
    The hosted network mode has been set to allow.
    The SSID of the hosted network has been successfully changed.
    The user key passphrase of the hosted network has been successfully changed.

C:\Users\Evan>NETSH WLAN start hostednetwork
    The hosted network couldn't be started.
    The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

C:\Users\Evan>

evancclayton, Oct 19, 2016
  10. EdTittel Win User
    That's something I've not encountered myself. Alas, that means I don't know how to fix it either. But searching on the error message content brings up some potentially useful stuff on the Microsoft site:
    1. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation error?
    2. The hosted network couldn The group or resource - Microsoft Community
    3. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-ho...dnt-be-started
    And plenty more, if you click the searching link at the head of this post.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Mobile hotspot not working because of firewall - Similar Threads - Mobile hotspot working

2. Windows 10 Mobile hotspot not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Mobile hotspot not working: My mobile hotspot does not work these days. Shows 'no internet connection' in apple device and 'Obtaining IP addresses' in android devices. but the PC i am mentioning here has a wired internet connection and it is working.My mobile hotspot used to work before.The highlighted...
  3. Mobile hotspot not working in windows 10

Mobile hotspot not working in windows 10: My mobile hotspot is not at all turning on in my windows 10. Before it was working, but from 2-3 months, it stopped turning on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mobile-hotspot-not-working-in-windows-10/a0cf60b8-1a9b-4506-ba64-c6b4586736df
  4. Mobile hotspot is not working.

Mobile hotspot is not working.: Split from this thread. hey i did not solve this problem. any other way. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mobile-hotspot-is-not-working/f423fe29-c8c8-4628-818d-0257718533ca
  5. Windows 10 mobile hotspot not working

Windows 10 mobile hotspot not working: Hi all, I have a windows 10 laptop and the mobile hotspot is not working can you please help me? Whenever I try to turn it on it says "we can't set up mobile hotspot." [see attached screenshot] [ATTACH]...
  6. windows 10 mobile hotspot not working

windows 10 mobile hotspot not working: Hello, I was using windows 7 and different hotspot programs worked well so the issue not hardware I am now using windows 10 pro and I am up to date on version 1803 The mobile hotspot functionality does not work neither do the programs that worked on windows 7 (and are...
  7. Windows 10 Mobile hotspot not working

Windows 10 Mobile hotspot not working: I have a Windows 10 Pro version 1809, OS build 17763.134, DELL OEM laptop with an Intel AC 8265 WiFi card. I have loaded the latest driver (Ver 20.70.0.5). When I enable the Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot feature, it shows 0 of 8 connections. I can connect to my laptop from...
  8. mobile hotspot not working

mobile hotspot not working: my laptop mobile hotspot not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mobile-hotspot-not-working/660151fe-dac5-4858-9045-bc8666344ab6
  9. Mobile hotspot for windows 10 not working

Mobile hotspot for windows 10 not working: When I tried to use the mobile hotspot function on my windows 10 laptop, the devices connected to the hotspot said "wifi doesn't have a vaid IP configuration". The computer gets its own wifi through an ethernet cable. I have tried reinstalling drivers on both devices(the...
  10. [Windows 10] Mobile Hotspot is not working.

[Windows 10] Mobile Hotspot is not working.: So I have a Lenovo Y700 laptop with Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.165) running on it. I cannot connect my mobile phone (or any other device) to the Mobile Hotspot's network. I can turn on/off Mobile Hotspot, edit network name, password, and band but my mobile phone...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 mobile hotspot not working firewall