Windows 10: Manage Battery Usage by App in Windows 10

Discus and support Manage Battery Usage by App in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Manage Battery Usage by App in Windows 10 How to Manage Battery Usage by App in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 version 1607, you can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Manage Battery Usage by App in Windows 10

How to: Manage Battery Usage by App in Windows 10

How to Manage Battery Usage by App in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 version 1607, you can manage battery usage by app.

You will see a list of apps and the percentage of battery life that each app has consumed (out of the amount of battery life that has been used since the last charge).

You can also set apps on the list to have them managed by Windows or not for allowing them to Battery Saver is on.

Starting with Windows 10 build 16176, Microsoft leveraged modern silicon capabilities to run background work in a power-efficient manner, thereby enhancing battery life significantly while still giving users access to powerful multitasking capabilities of Windows. With Power Throttling, when background work is running, Windows places the CPU in its most energy efficient operating modes work gets done, but the minimal possible battery is spent on that work. You can opt individual apps out from Power Throttling by turning off Let Windows decide when this app can run in the background in Battery usage by app, and unchecking Reduce work app does when in background.

This tutorial will show you how to see and manage battery usage by app for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To See Battery Usage by App
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Managed By Windows for Battery Usage by App

OPTION ONE [/i] To See Battery Usage by App
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Battery on the left side, and click/tap on the See which apps are affecting your battery life link under Overview on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Manage Battery Usage by App in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Select 6 Hours, 24 Hours, or 1 Week to show battery usage of apps for the time period you want in the list. (see screenshot below)

4. Select Apps with usage, All apps, or Always allowed apps for which apps you want to show in the list. (see screenshot below)

5. You will now see the percentage of battery usage by app to the right of each app for the selected time. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Managed By Windows for Battery Usage by App
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Battery on the left side, and click/tap on the See which apps are affecting your battery life link under Overview on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Select 6 Hours, 24 Hours, or 1 Week to show battery usage of apps for the time period you want in the list. (see screenshot below)

4. Select Apps with usage, All apps, or Always allowed apps for which apps you want to show in the list. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on an app you want to change the management settings for. (see screenshot below)

6. Do step 7 (on) or step 8 (off) below to have the app managed by Windows or not.

7. To Turn On Managed By Windows for App
    A) Check Let Windows decide when this app can run in the background, and go to step 9 below. (see screenshot below)

8. To Turn Off Managed By Windows for App
    A) Uncheck Let Windows decide when this app can run in the background. (see screenshot below)

B) If available (UWP apps), check or uncheck the Allow app to run background tasks box for what you want.

C) If available, check or uncheck the Reduce work app does when in background box for what you want.

D) Go to step 9 below.

9. If you like, repeat step 7 (on) or step 8 (off) for any other apps you may want to manage.

10. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cluster Head, Mar 16, 2016
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Battery problem after Windows 10 Creators Update Installed

Thank you for the update. Have you tried checking which app are draining your battery? To do so, follow the steps below:

• Go to the Settings.
    • Now, go to System > Battery
    • And go to Battery usage by app.

If issue persists, we suggest rolling back to the previous build before the issue happened.

If anything comes up, don't hesitate to get back to us anytime.

Anne Ros, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Battery Usage App Not Displaying Anything

Hi,

I am trying to use the Battery Usage App via the settings menu on Windows 10. When I click on "See which apps are affecting your battery life", I get no information when look at the data over the past 6, 24 hours or 1 week. It simply says "We only track usage when your device is on battery power, not when it's plugged in. No apps used battery during the selected time period."

However, I've been on my battery all day, and I am still unable to get this info.

Any thoughts as to what is going on?

Thanks.

TheComeBacKid, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Manage Battery Usage by App in Windows 10

Battery Usage App Not Displaying Anything

Exact same problem on my windows 10 surface pro 4.
    even I tried powercfg /batteryreport /output “C:\battery-report.html” and I just get an error 0x408

Haxortnator, Oct 26, 2019
  5. clayto Win User
    Battery apps and battery report lack data

It gets even stranger. I have looked at the (some the same, some different) battery apps on my Windows Lumia Phone and found some display the usage stats for the phone but others do not. In particular the apps which should concentrate on the stats on the PC, show the same zero results on the phone. I do not know what this means but surely it suggests that the fault is not exclusive to my PC after all. So could it be yet another bug in Windows 10, on both devices?

clayto, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Battery use management

Open Start > Settings > Battery

Under 'Overview', click 'Battery usage by app'

Select the app or setting in the list then uncheck 'Allow the app to run background tasks'

Andre Da Costa, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Manage Battery Usage by App in Windows 10

1. Manage Battery Usage by App in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Manage Battery Usage

2. Battery usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery usage: In changing to a new battery, I noticed that it says: Battery usage per app: in use Win Exp 51% Background 0%. Microsoft Edge in use %..background 1%. As far as I know I am using Microsoft Edge as my browser. What does this mean. I am using Win 10....
  3. Battery usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery usage: In changing to a new battery, I noticed that it says: Battery usage per app: in use Win Exp 51% Background 0%. Microsoft Edge in use %..background 1%. As far as I know I am using Microsoft Edge as my browser. What does this mean. I am using Win 10....
  4. Battery usage

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. the Battery usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the Battery usage: I bought a Huawei Matebook D15 Core I3 10 Gen , and the labtop was on windows 10 it was very nice , fast , and the battery discharging during usage was cool and do not discharging fast but after I update to win 11 , I see some slowing in usage and also fast discharging...
  6. the Battery usage

the Battery usage: I bought a Huawei Matebook D15 Core I3 10 Gen , and the labtop was on windows 10 it was very nice , fast , and the battery discharging during usage was cool and do not discharging fast but after I update to win 11 , I see some slowing in usage and also fast discharging...
  7. Windows Battery Usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Battery Usage: Hi, I'm new to this community, I don't the fact that Windows 10 tracks battery usage by app, is there are way the turn off the tracking? The setting specifically is under System, then battery then the small link that says "see which apps are affecting battery life"....
  8. Battery Usage App Not Displaying Anything

Battery Usage App Not Displaying Anything: Hi, I am trying to use the Battery Usage App via the settings menu on Windows 10. When I click on "See which apps are affecting your battery life", I get no information when look at the data over the past 6, 24 hours or 1 week. It simply says "We only track usage when your...
  9. Battery Usage App Not Displaying Anything

in Windows 10 Support
    Battery Usage App Not Displaying Anything: Hi, I am trying to use the Battery Usage App via the settings menu on Windows 10. When I click on "See which apps are affecting your battery life", I get no information when look at the data over the past 6, 24 hours or 1 week. It simply says "We only track usage when your...
  10. Battery Usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery Usage: Hi all, I ran a battery usage report and the results are shown below. Is this considered normal? I've had my laptop for a little over two years now. Are there any ways in which I can prolong the battery life? Thanks in advance! [img] 35637