Windows 10: Windows 10 - my dvd/cd drive is not recognised, at all

Discus and support Windows 10 - my dvd/cd drive is not recognised, at all in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, It really isn't my day. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and previously my DVD/CD Drive was working perfectly. Now, nowhere on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gallantfive, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Windows 10 - my dvd/cd drive is not recognised, at all

Hi,

It really isn't my day. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and previously my DVD/CD Drive was working perfectly. Now, nowhere on my PC, and I mean nowhere, is my DVD/CD drive recognised as existing. There is no DVD drive showing in Device Manager or in Settings>Devices.

I have taken the side panel off my PC and all cables are properly plugged in.

I have not tampered with the BIOS at all.

Please, can somebody help as I really need to burn a disk tonight?

Thanks, Charles.

:)

gallantfive, Aug 13, 2015

2. Dell Inspiron DVD drive not working after installation of Windows 10

I have installed Windows 10 and since then my CD/DVD drive is not recognised. When I reverted to Window 7 the drive was again functional. I have gone back to Windows 10 and again the CD/DVD drive is not there.

ArthurChater, Aug 13, 2015
  3. nickbenes Win User
    DVD/CD drive is not recognised

Original Title: DVD/CD player

After installing Windows 10 upgrade my internal DVD/CD drive is not recognised but my USB external hard drive is, does anyone know how do I fix this problem?

many thanks

nickbenes, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Windows 10 - my dvd/cd drive is not recognised, at all

I managed to fix this one myself. The fix was for Windows 8/8.1 but it worked perfectly for Windows 10.

1. Run Command Prompt as an Administrator.

2. Copy/type the following and enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

3. Reboot the system

My DVD drive was then automatically recognised. Yippee.

gallantfive, Aug 13, 2015
  5. I took the time to register, so that I could thank you for getting my DVD drive recognised. Bit of a poor show from Microsoft, but hey, it was a free upgrade. All the other "fixes" were nonsense. Thanks again.

daddydizzle, Aug 20, 2015
  6. jrfoleyjr Win User
    My computer is an upgraded Dell E510 with 4 gb ram from Win7 to Win10. The upgrade went off without a hitch until I discovered that my dvd drive had disappeared. The dvd drive worked before the upgrade.
    Now it does not show in the Device Manager and in fact cd/dvd drives are not even listed. There is no listing for atapi drives. I had VLC player installed to view movies so I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled. No help.

Windows 10 - my dvd/cd drive is not recognised, at all [​IMG]

An external drive works but what is the use of having an internal drive if the computer cant see it.

Hacking the Registry is not my thing. Bad things happen when wrong things get typed in there.
    I am seriously looking at rolling back to Windows 7 which was working fine..

jrfoleyjr, Aug 20, 2015
  7. *Smile Pleased to help. It can take time to trawl but forums such as this can be a great help. Hope you come back (says one newbie to another!).

gallantfive, Aug 20, 2015
  8. Windows 10 - my dvd/cd drive is not recognised, at all

Don't give up. My FREE upgrade seemed to work well but I found several glitches including the above. Most annoying for me is not being able to set a PIN password when logging in on ex-Windows 7 Home Premium upgrades followed closely by the upgrade messing up my folder permissions (due to setting up an MS account). Top tip, if anyone says you must run a 'clean install', ignore them.

gallantfive, Aug 20, 2015
  9. bobkn Win User
    When I did an upgrade to 10 from a Win 7 Home on an old laptop, it defaulted to a local account. When I switched to a Microsoft account in Settings, I automatically got the PIN associated with the MS Account. It also brought over the same desktop background as used on my other machines.

Haven't noticed any folder permission issues yet. My favorite maxim: "It's better to be lucky than smart."

bobkn, Aug 20, 2015
  10. akasha23 Win User
    sorry I not a technical person.. or I am sort of.. but how do I : Run Command Prompt as an administrator? I am not sure where to find things with window 10. thanks.

akasha23, Aug 24, 2015
  11. This worked for me, thanks gallantfive

sillygamer, Aug 25, 2015
  12. After a couple of weeks of panic looking for a simple solution, I found yours and it worked. Genius!
    Bill
    =======

bill flury, Aug 27, 2015
  13. amcgall Win User

Windows 10 - my dvd/cd drive is not recognised, at all

This did not work for me. I should point out that my two DVD drives were working fine after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro. However, after a forced couple of updates (Windows 10 does not permit you to opt out) my DVD drives disappeared.

I was forced to do a system restore to a date&time previous to the installation of the update(s). After that my drives reappeared.

Hopefully Microsoft will come out with an update that fixes the bad update.

amcgall, Aug 30, 2015
  14. Right click mouse at start pane read list.

Sicnarf 10, Sep 14, 2015
  15. Wobblyo Win User
    Need to add more characters apparently.

Wobblyo, Sep 21, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 - my dvd/cd drive is not recognised, at all

1. Windows 10 - my dvd/cd drive is not recognised, at all - Similar Threads - dvd drive recognised

2. CD/DVD Drive just not recognised at all

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CD/DVD Drive just not recognised at all: I built my PC 3 years ago and installed a DVD drive because my part time job requires the burning and ripping of DVD's. It was working perfectly as usual last night until I turned on my computer this morning and my DVD was not recognised. I went into device manager and when...
  3. cd/dvd drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cd/dvd drive: I have a new/used laptop and can't see the files from my cd/dvd drive. Device manager says drive is working properly, but it's not. Can someone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/4a1c6a9a-0e94-4804-9a7f-b7f99b2d551a
  4. CD-DVD DRIVE NOT RECOGNISING DISC

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    CD-DVD DRIVE NOT RECOGNISING DISC: HI Peeps just bought a recon computer, everything is up and running and works great. I just dug my old CD+G discs out of my shed because I want to put together some backing track playlists. for some reason when I put a new disc in it will only play the first track then...
  5. CD/DVD drive is not recognising

CD/DVD drive is not recognising: cod/dvd rom was not visible in my laptop. when i checked for it, an error code 45 occurred. acoording to microsoft to solve it, i had to uninstall the drives and after restarting the laptop a message should have popped to install it again. but it didn't. now i don't know how...
  6. CD/DVD RW Drive not recognised

CD/DVD RW Drive not recognised: Hi all. I have an Acer laptop with built in DVD/CD RW drive, running Win 10 For some reason, the laptop has stopped recognising it. When I put a disc in it whirs, spins and clicks as usual as if it were reading it normally, then stops. Have gone through all the usual...
  7. DVD does not recognise cd's or dvd's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD does not recognise cd's or dvd's: I have an asus laptop (ROG Gamer) with windows 10 and cd's nor dvd's can be recognized from the dvd drive, also windows media player does not show it, can someone help me?...
  8. CD's not recognised in DVD/CD Samsung drive

CD's not recognised in DVD/CD Samsung drive: I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 and alll is working well except for the CD/DVD drive does not automatically recognise a CD when its inserted. With previous Windows 7 when I put a music CD in drive wiith itunes open then itunes would ask if i wanted to import CD. The...
  9. DVD drive not recognising CD

DVD drive not recognising CD: Hi all, my first ever post in my first ever forum so I'm sorry if I do things a bit wrong. I'm very frustrated. I brought a Video editing software package to put my old videos onto the laptop but my DVD driver is not recognising the CD. It sort of starts to spin, then stops...
  10. DVD/CD Drive not recognising media on new Dell laptop (Windows 10)

DVD/CD Drive not recognising media on new Dell laptop (Windows 10): Dell Inspiron 5000 series, brand new Originally the DVD drive would not show at all in File Explorer, despite Device Manager recognising, drivers up to date, etc. Dell diagnostics reported various feedback ranging from perfectly ok (SupportAssist, on-line smart diagnostic...