Windows 10: Windows 10 Network Discovery Problem with Ubuntu/Samba Server

Discus and support Windows 10 Network Discovery Problem with Ubuntu/Samba Server in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a problem that has me stumped. I have a Ubuntu Media Server (OS Version 14.04.1) running Samba 4.1.6. I have a Win 10 laptop (upgraded in August... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mosscomes, Jan 13, 2016.

1. mosscomes Win User

Windows 10 Network Discovery Problem with Ubuntu/Samba Server

I have a problem that has me stumped. I have a Ubuntu Media Server (OS Version 14.04.1) running Samba 4.1.6. I have a Win 10 laptop (upgraded in August from 8.1) and Win 10 desktop (upgraded Jan 11th from Windows 7). The laptop doesn't (or very rarely) discovers the Samba shares. Windows sees the two other Windows PC's under the Network section. It doesn't seen to recognize the printer attached to the server. Print jobs seem to disappear into nowhere even though the printer is "there" under devices. It is also seen in Belarc Advisor. It does, however, always recognize the mapped drives of the 3 individual Samba shares on the server. It also discovers the Plex Media Server I have installed. It is under the Media Devices Section in Network. The desktop under both Win 7 and 10 discovers both the Network shares and the samba shares (and the network printer) connected to it as well as the Plex Media Server. I've attempted to match setting for setting from the desktop to the laptop (Advanced Sharing Options), but that hasn't solved the problem. Because it works on one system and not the other, I don't see where my Samba configuration is the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

:)

mosscomes, Jan 13, 2016
  2. FerdiL Win User

Windows 10 cannot browse my local network or see/connect to mapped drives

So I found a fix for this - The issue here is a Windows 10 machine that I log onto using a PIN, and trying to connect to shares on an Ubuntu/Linux SAMBA server

Go to Control Panel / Settings and search the Control Panel (top right) for "Credentials", click on the "Manage Windows Credentials" link

Then Add a Windows credential for the machine you are trying to connect to as follows:

Internet or network address: MACHINENAME

Username: WORKGROUP\USERNAME

Password: PASSWORD

replacing MACHINENAME, WORKGROUP etc. with your own values.

NB - For Username you must use the WORKGROUP or DOMAIN name of the machine you are trying to connect to (an Ubuntu Linux Samba server in my case) followed by the backslash followed by the username

Once you have done this, you can connect to \\MACHINENAME\SHARENAME using a mapped network drive or adding a "network location" to the share you are trying to connect to. I'm not sure if one is able to browse the server, but at least I can connect to my
    shared data now.

Hope this saves someone some frustrating time when trying to connect from Windows 10 to a Linux Samba server.

FerdiL, Jan 13, 2016
  3. FerdiL Win User
    Windows 10 cannot browse my local network or see/connect to mapped drives

I'm having the same issue here, and I can't find if anything has changed w.r.t. Samba/Lan Manager in Windows 10 that would prevent a Windows 10 machine (which does not belong to a "HomeGroup" cause I don't want to use "homegroups") from seeing other machines
    on the network.

I have a very simple LAN at work with 2 Linux servers both running Samba that can browse each other using SMB fine, but the Windows 10 machine simply does not see any servers on the network (All are configured with the same WORKGROUP)

A Windows 7 machine can see the Linux servers

I have a Apple Mac on the network and it can browse the Linux Samba servers fine.

DNS etc. is all working fine. I can ping the server's IP address and their name, but cannot connect to any shares on the machines.

Most frustrating

FerdiL, Jan 13, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

There is a fix to disable SMB 2 & 3 on Windows. It is on a past thread and should be in the tutorials.

bro67, Jan 13, 2016
  5. mosscomes Win User
    mosscomes, Jan 13, 2016
  6. I wanted to blame M$ for it as well however after some research I found several servers were claiming to be Master Browsers. I logged on to those servers (yes Linux boxes) and set local master = no in the global confs and the rest of my network browse function worked.

The program I used to discover this was Scottie's LANscanner v1.63... You can run the tool and check your net. Thanks Scottie....

thedead106, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Network Discovery Problem with Ubuntu/Samba Server - Similar Threads - Network Discovery Problem

2. Network discovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network discovery: I am using Windows 10. I have set up a disk drive on the Wi-Fi router, but I cannot see it on Windows file explorer under Network. Even though I turn on network discovery, I still cannot see my network devices. Please help! Thank you so much.b...
  3. network discovery problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network discovery problem: Windows Pro 10, with latest updates applied. I have an annoying problem. Sometimes when I click on network in the file explorer ap, I get shown a computer on the network that is not part of my local network. One such name is PIX-STAR-70d09. If I click on that computer, I get...
  4. Network Discovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Discovery: I have a server running windows server 2008 r2 and the network discovery is on. On why windows 10 pc I don't see it. I can see my windows 10 machine on the server-side but not the other way. Any solutions, or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. submitted by...
  5. Network Discovery

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Network Discovery: Hi I wanted to know more about network discovery and can someone view files when turned on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-discovery/fe481712-64da-43d8-94af-2b05f88c1d13
  6. network discovery

network discovery: I am trying to add a printer connected to another PC, both win10Pro although I can see the other pc when I try to connect the printer get a message saying contact network admin for permissions. Pc #2 has been shared, same with printer, files and sharing activated, I read...
  7. New computer network discovery problem

New computer network discovery problem: I have a wireless home network that involves a desktop running Windows 7 and 2 laptops running Windows 10 Home, version 10.0 18362 Build 18362. Everything works good between these 3 computers. I have tried to add a 3rd Laptop, also running Windows 10, and there is where my...
  8. Network discovery problem

Network discovery problem: I have 4 computers all connected to a switch via ethernet cable. The switch is ethernet connected to the router/modem and all IP address are reserved/administered in the router by the individual MAC address of each computer. All computers are win 10 pro, either ver 1803 or...
  9. Network Discovery.

Network Discovery.: Network Discovery. I added a USB memory stick to my router (as suggested by Computer Active) I tried to access it from my laptop by trying \\192.168.1.1 (My router default gateway) as suggested in the article. It came back with Network Discovery must be switched on - - - - -...
  10. Network Samba Problems Please Help

Network Samba Problems Please Help: ok here is my situation. I reformatted clean install on my desktop. Had some hiccups but everything ok. I use in the living room this streaming box from element company,love this box. Anyway after i share with everyone this folder for movies, everything was working great with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to turn on discovery on ubuntu without samba