Windows 10: Windows 10 no longer dual boots properly

Discus and support Windows 10 no longer dual boots properly in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Okay, I've clearly managed to mess something up, but here goes... Prior to a couple days ago, my system was setup in a dual boot configuration, with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Niccador, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Niccador Win User

Windows 10 no longer dual boots properly

Okay, I've clearly managed to mess something up, but here goes...

Prior to a couple days ago, my system was setup in a dual boot configuration, with Windows 8.1 (not set as Default, but technically my "primary"), and the Windows 10 Technical Preview (Default) which I used to play around with as a sort of clean work environment. OS's were installed on physically separate drives.

A couple days ago, I successfully updated my 8.1 installation to 10. Dual boot still functioned properly, although this upgrade reset the 8.1-now-10 to Default OS.

Shortly after, I decided to wipe the Technical Preview drive, and do a clean install of the now-released 10, and reset my whole little work environment. After installation was completed, I immediately noticed that no boot menu presented itself, even for a moment. Additionally, in the Advanced System Options/Startup & Recovery, no other OS choices appear.

For some odd reason, there was ONE thing I did differently during this installation though:
    Normally, on a clean install, I will delete ALL existing partitions on a given target drive, and allow the setup to recreate them. However, this time -- possibly because the new-ness of 10 had me slightly confused -- I deleted only the primary data partition that contained the Tech Preview install, but left the System Reserved and OEM Reserved partitions.
    I'm unsure if this is the source of my troubles or not.

Regardless, as of right now, I'm unable to access my original 10-upgraded installation, and would greatly appreciate some help in getting this restored.

As I'm sitting on a clean install of my 2nd OS, I've no problems with wiping it and trying again, but I thought I'd wait for a little expert advice first.

:)

Niccador, Aug 2, 2015

2. How do I restore dual boot capability after Windows 10 clean install removed it

My computer was dual-boot with Windows 7 boot partitions on two separate drives. After upgrading to Windows 10, the dual boot provision worked fine. However after a clean install of Windows 10, dual-boot capability is no longer available. The boot partition
    for the remaining Windows 7 syBistem is intact. Only the dual boot option is gone.

I tried the changing the default operating system under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, but the only choice is Windows 10. Windows 7 isn't a option. I'm guessing that the clean Windows 10 install wiped out access to the dual-boot menu.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade no longer accessable

The machine came with Windows 7 installed. When the upgrade to Windows 10 came out, I installed Windows 10 as a separate boot so I could boot either operating system. The dual boot worked for a while but I haven't checked it recently. I can no longer
    see the option for the dual boot.

I will follow up on the links and see where that goes.

Thanks.

RossPeterson1, Aug 2, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

A screenshot of disk management would help to identify the problem.

topgundcp, Aug 2, 2015
  5. Niccador Win User
    Windows 10 no longer dual boots properly [​IMG]

Although it's probably obvious, Disk 0 is the current Clean 10 install, and Disk 2 is the other 10 upgrade install.

Niccador, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Niccador Win User
    No ideas? Anyone?
    Short of physically disconnecting Drive 0, I've no idea how to get back to my other OS. (And I'm not keen on the idea of having to install a swappable bay to get around this issue for now.)

Niccador, Aug 3, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    From what I saw. Disk 0 is your new upgrade to Windows 10 and Disk 2 is the other Windows 10. Disk 1 should be marked as inactive.
    From the upgraded Windows 10. Open the Admin Command Prompt and type:
    bcdboot E:\Windows

topgundcp, Aug 3, 2015
  8. Niccador Win User

Thank you for the response.
    Just prior to reading it, I poked around with EasyBCD and -- while not the pretty graphical interface it once was -- was able to add back the option for the upgraded 10. (I was stuck in the clean install.) It booted slow as snot, and for a moment, I thought I was in for a host of other issues, but once it settled, I switched back and forth a couple times to make sure it stuck. All seems well for the moment.
    Thank you all for the assist.
    Marking as Solved for now. *Smile

Niccador, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 no longer dual boots properly - Similar Threads - longer dual boots

2. Windows 10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 dual boot: I have Windows 10 dual boot on my Acer Nitro 5 PC. 1st SSD has as OS Windows 10; 2nd SSD has as OS Windows 10 optimized for audio recording. When I shut down the PC and reboot later, the first boot bypasses the GRUB and boots straight to the last OS used. I then restart, the...
  3. dual boot windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dual boot windows 10: Hi,I have windows 10 dual boot now running with windows 7.I want to start a 3rd dual boot entry. This will be a clean install of windows 10 on the same computer on a different HD. So I will have 2 versions of windows 10.I then want to slowly migrate to this new clean install....
  4. Dual Boot windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dual Boot windows 10: Hello after a lot of research i didnt find any solution to my problem. I wanted to make a second clean windows boot option to install some programms because i felt my old disk was getting overloaded.I downloaded easybcd 2.4 and made a boot menu for 2 windows, it all seemed to...
  5. Dual Boot Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Windows 10: I have dual booted both windows 10 on my one solid state drive. They are both the professional edition and are version 1909. My question is I thought you could only activate ONE copy of windows on one pc. I have two Windows installations on my one ssd. Why is it that both of...
  6. No longer able to dual boot win 10 and 8.1 ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No longer able to dual boot win 10 and 8.1 ?: So I used to have windows 10 and windows 8.1 dual boot on my laptop pc. However after a serious mistake I made, I ended up having to start fresh. with windows 10. But now I can't install windows 8.1! It always says a needed driver is missing! I tested my windows 8.1 iso in...
  7. After upgrading graphics card, Windows 10 no longer boots properly

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    After upgrading graphics card, Windows 10 no longer boots properly: I recently tried to upgrade my graphics card (Geforce GT640 to a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 mini). However, after switching to the new card, Windows 10 Home Edition no longer booted properly - instead of Windows starting, I would get a blank (black) screen with a blinking...
  8. Need help to PROPERLY install dual boot: Windows 10 & Windows 10

Need help to PROPERLY install dual boot: Windows 10 & Windows 10: @essenbe and @strick: Perhaps you might remember that you helped me do this once before. I want to keep my current Windows 10 (which is faulty) and do a clean install (as you previously advised). There was something to do with the boot manager that you helped me correct. When...
  9. Windows 10 Dual boot?

Windows 10 Dual boot?: I have heard that because of windows 10, you cannot dual boot. 1- Can you dual boot with Ubunto or Linux Mint? 2- If yes, must they be set in a partition alongside the Windows partition. Thanx 92289
  10. Win 8.1 dual boot no longer works.

Win 8.1 dual boot no longer works.: Hi all, Thanks for the assist in diagnosing in advance I have 4 partitions. 1 => System Reserved 2 => Win 10 3 => Win 8.1 4 => Storage When I try to boot into the win 8.1 it gives me an error. Even after restoring the win 8.1. partition from a Macrium image....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows no longer dual boot choice

2. windows 10 no longer dual boots