Windows 10: Windows 10 no longer recognizes my USB ports

Discus and support Windows 10 no longer recognizes my USB ports in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Widows automatically upgraded my Windows 10. Now I can no longer see USB ports E and F on File Explorer and when I plug in my camera to download my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by IvanJ, Sep 25, 2016.

1. IvanJ Win User

Windows 10 no longer recognizes my USB ports

Widows automatically upgraded my Windows 10. Now I can no longer see USB ports E and F on File Explorer and when I plug in my camera to download my pictures it says that the camera is not connected. I plugged in my Clickfree backup hard drive and it worked on drive E. How do I get my computer to recognize these USB drives so I can use them to download from my camera and other devises?

:)

IvanJ, Sep 25, 2016
  2. rick773 Win User

windows 10 not recognizing my Pantech Phone camera

windows 10 not recognizing my Pantech phone camera

It beeps when added via USB port but no longer gives a box to allow transferring pictures.

Recognizes Com5 in devices but file explorer does not see the device/files

rick773, Sep 25, 2016
  3. nhattan Win User
    Windows 10 not recognizing Windows Phone as storage device !

Hi Preeti,

I have the same problem. When I connected my Nokia Lumia 1020 to my HP EliteBook Revolve 810 G2 on Windows 8.1, there was no problem: the phone was recognized as an external storage device and I could manage my files. After upgrading to Windows 10, the phone
    is no longer recognize. During some attempts, it says "USB device not recognized: The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

I've tried all 2 laptop ports, and the 4 ports of the docking station.

Thank you for your assistance,

nhattan, Sep 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, you won't see USB ports as such in file explorer unless something is connected. The drive letter assigned is not fixed or associated with a given port, but normally allocated in sequence when something is plugged in (there is an exception).

- which implies your USB hub is ok.

Does that work on all your ports? If so, then from your description it appears your problem is that your camera is not recognised. Is that correct?

dalchina, Sep 25, 2016
  5. IvanJ Win User
    I plugged in a flash drive into what used to be my F drive. It showed up as E and I was able to read it. It didn't work in my E drive. I pugged in my camera into the new E drive and there was nothing. My computer doesn't recognize my camera. My camera did not malfunction at the same time as I downloaded the Windows 10 update.

IvanJ, Sep 25, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, of your two USB ports, is one USB2 and the other USB3 by any chance?

Note: you can't allocate a particular drive letter to a particular USB port.
    Assign Specific Drive Letters To A USB Port

I think you are only calling one port E and another F because you are in the habit of plugging devices first into one, then into another, such that the devices are allocated E & F in that order. If you start inserting devices in reverse order, the drive letter allocation will be reversed.

You can arrange to have a particular drive allocated a particular drive letter, provided that letter is free.

Do you need any particular software or driver to be installed for your camera?

dalchina, Sep 25, 2016
  7. IvanJ Win User
    I tried to plug in my camera into my laptop and got no response. You are probably right that there is something wrong with my camera. It seems to be a strange coincidence.

IvanJ, Sep 26, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

No, I wouldn't say and haven't said I suspect your camera.

Let's stay with just a USB drive for now.

If you still have problems with your USB ports (i.e. one doesn't seem to be responding) then try, in device manager, uninstalling your USB hub and then restarting.

Also see these and advise if anything helps:
    Solved USB Port Oddities - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved USB ports not recognizing drives, thumbrives or GPSs (Garmin) - Windows 10 Forums

more if you search the forum for
    USB ports not working

dalchina, Sep 26, 2016
  9. IvanJ Win User
    Thank you. I will try it when I get a chance.

IvanJ, Sep 27, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 4, 2016
  11. IvanJ Win User
    My computer seems to be operating as it should. I put the camera's memory card into a USB card reader and it downloaded my pictures with no problem. The problem is with my camera. When I plug in the cable from my camera nothing happens. There is no error message. It is as if nothing is plugged in.

Thank you for all your help.

IvanJ, Oct 6, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Good.. does your camera need specific driver software? Does it work on a different PC?
    Have you tried a different cable?

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 no longer recognizes my USB ports - Similar Threads - longer recognizes USB

2. USB PORT NOT RECOGNIZED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB PORT NOT RECOGNIZED: Can any help to solve this problem related to USB port. Previously the USB cable that I connected to my laptop with my phone it was working fine . But now it is not detecting that USB, it shows yellow colour reclamation in device manager with message unknown USB detection...
  3. USB PORT NOT RECOGNIZED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB PORT NOT RECOGNIZED: Can any help to solve this problem related to USB port. Previously the USB cable that I connected to my laptop with my phone it was working fine . But now it is not detecting that USB, it shows yellow colour reclamation in device manager with message unknown USB detection...
  4. USB port on pc no longer recognizes portable device.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port on pc no longer recognizes portable device.: I've tried uninstalling portable DVD device in device manager then reinstalling, turn off/on pc. USB port has worked in the past. Microsoft says it may be that driver needs updating but update is no longer available....
  5. USB port on pc no longer recognizes portable device.

USB port on pc no longer recognizes portable device.: I've tried uninstalling portable DVD device in device manager then reinstalling, turn off/on pc. USB port has worked in the past. Microsoft says it may be that driver needs updating but update is no longer available....
  6. External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...: So I have this legion 5 pro laptop and as what the title says, one of the usb port at the back is not recognizing my external keyboard or mouse.It started around January and got it fixed by then. Lenovo replaced the motherboard which fixed the problem. They think it was bad...
  7. External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...

External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...: So I have this legion 5 pro laptop and as what the title says, one of the usb port at the back is not recognizing my external keyboard or mouse.It started around January and got it fixed by then. Lenovo replaced the motherboard which fixed the problem. They think it was bad...
  8. USB Port not recognizing device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Port not recognizing device: I have an HP Revolve 810 Elitebook. One of the two usb ports will recognize a thumbdrive but not my plantronics head set. I can't seem to find where to do any troubleshooting on the usb port. The headset works on another computer just fine, is recognized and configured...
  9. Windows 10 no longer recognizing any USB ports on boot

Windows 10 no longer recognizing any USB ports on boot: I seached thru some of the questions and answers and didn't find a good answer to this perplexing problem. I have an Acer all-in-one that has worked quite well for 3 years. I keep Windows up to date as well as the other s/w on the computer. All of sudden this week when i...
  10. USB Port not recognizing USB Mouse

USB Port not recognizing USB Mouse: Hello, I have a Lenovo Ideapad500 14ISK running windows 10. From a few days my usb ports are not recognizing my usb mouse and does not even detect my usb fflash drive. If I plug in my phone it is just charging the phone from usb but there is no detection of any kind. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 no longer recognizes windows phone

2. windows 10 no longer recognizes phone