Windows 10: Windows 10 - No start menu

Discus and support Windows 10 - No start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok, so I downloaded windows 10 a few days ago using the media creation tool. Everything has been working great up until this morning. I was watching a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheComedown00, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Windows 10 - No start menu

Ok, so I downloaded windows 10 a few days ago using the media creation tool. Everything has been working great up until this morning. I was watching a movie through VLC and shortly after getting done my laptop wanted to install an update. I ok'd it and it started doing so. While it was installing I fell asleep with the computer on my lap (it was like 3am). When I woke up 30 min or so later I noticed that the old start screen was back and I couldnt get my start menu and desktop to show. So I started looking around trying to figure out how to get it back. I had no luck so I got online and looked it up. I really couldnt find anything other than the directions on how to switch back and forth through the settings. I didnt know about this yet so I went into settings, personalization, and then start menu. The button was set in the off position for "Show full start screen". I had the laptop plugged into my tv with an HD cable so I clicked the button for the start screen on and off, unplugged the HD cable, and then restarted my computer. It came back on and there was still no start menu. I tried doing a system restore but the only restore point said it was done at the update. It should have been created before the update was installed though (right?) so I tried that. It did the restore successfully but the problem still persisted. Finally it was close to 5am and I was getting more and more frustrated so I put it down and tried again this morning. I went back through those steps but still cant get it to work correctly. That leads me to now. I need some help...
    I dont know if I hit something in my sleep and it is just something stupid that I dont know about or if something is actually wrong. One thing I came across online was that if windows 10 is on a device with a screen that is 10in or smaller that it wont have a start menu. Could something have happened that made it think it is on a smaller screen that what it is? I just dont know. I would very much appreciate any help that is given though. I hope to resolve this as soon as possible. I guess if I cant get it figured out I can just do a fresh install but I would rather not have to do that. I did do a fresh install of windows 10 though so there isnt much on here yet but I think it would still be a pain. If I do have to do that would it revert first back to windows 8.1 and then I would have to upgrade back to 10 after that? Or would it just revert back to a fresh windows 10?
    Ok this message is long enough now I think... *Smile I really do appreciate any help given. Thanks

:)

TheComedown00, Aug 4, 2015

2. Windows 10 - no start menu - no sound - no youtube

Hi Lukas,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the methods provided below:

Method 1: DISM TOOL:

• On the Search bar type “cmd”. Right Click on the Command Prompt option and select Run as Administrator. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow).
    • Type “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth”\

For more information about DISM click on the link below:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Method 2: Run a SFC (System File Checker) scan.

• Right click on Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
    • After the scan is complete, type “exit” and press Enter.

For more information about SFC scan, click on the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

I suggest you to install all pending Windows Updates and Drivers software and check if the issue persists.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - no start menu - no sound - no youtube

Hi everybody,

recently I've upgraded to Win10 from Win7 and since beginning I have persisting problem with start menu. For no (some) reason, it stops to popup when clicking the startmenu button and at the same moment, also sound crashes and I'm not even able to play streaming
    videos on youtube. I guess these issues relate somehow, because all the issues together happen at the same moment. I'm absolutely crazy about this, because the only solution I've found by now is a reboot, which is quite an annoying procedure to perform every
    20 minutes. I've already tried to reinstall sound drivers, I've tried to kill and reexecute explorer.exe however, after second manual execution, only a taskbar shows up and has no icons neither on the desktop. Anybody has some WORKING solution? I've found
    a plenty over the internet but none was working. Thanks!

LukasDurjan, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 - No start menu

1. Windows 10 - No start menu - Similar Threads - start menu

2. I can't organize the start apps list or get rid of the start menu tiles.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't organize the start apps list or get rid of the start menu tiles.: I click on start, I see a list of apps. I've tried moving several apps like the Calc, calendar, 3d viewer and many more. If I try to drag them to a folder, it shows a white box with a red circle with a diagonal line through it. I can't move these apps to a folder. NEXT, I...
  3. I can't organize the start apps list or get rid of the start menu tiles.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't organize the start apps list or get rid of the start menu tiles.: I click on start, I see a list of apps. I've tried moving several apps like the Calc, calendar, 3d viewer and many more. If I try to drag them to a folder, it shows a white box with a red circle with a diagonal line through it. I can't move these apps to a folder. NEXT, I...
  4. I can't organize the start apps list or get rid of the start menu tiles.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. My keyboard does not work in the Start menu, works everywhere else

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard does not work in the Start menu, works everywhere else: Hello there,I am running Windows 11 Home 23H2. I am using a Logitech G815 keyboard. All my apps and Windows are updated regularly. I checked a couple of videos of YouTube for help, but unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same issue. At this very moment, I am typing...
  6. My keyboard does not work in the Start menu, works everywhere else

My keyboard does not work in the Start menu, works everywhere else: Hello there,I am running Windows 11 Home 23H2. I am using a Logitech G815 keyboard. All my apps and Windows are updated regularly. I checked a couple of videos of YouTube for help, but unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same issue. At this very moment, I am typing...
  7. On my windows 11 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On my windows 11 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu.: I then looked up on the internet for solutions but when explored the control panel and the settings, the sleep option was not available in Settings>System>Power and Sleep. It also wasn't available in Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Choose what the power button...
  8. On my windows 11 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu.

On my windows 11 laptop, the sleep option simply disappeared from the start menu.: I then looked up on the internet for solutions but when explored the control panel and the settings, the sleep option was not available in Settings>System>Power and Sleep. It also wasn't available in Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Choose what the power button...
  9. Need help fixing right click IN the start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help fixing right click IN the start menu: While trying to fix a prior issue i descovered that my right click has refused to work in the start menu. To clarify i can click on the start menu just fine its in the search in the menu that the right click is not working. the menu that is supposed to pop up after the right...
  10. Need help fixing right click IN the start menu

Need help fixing right click IN the start menu: While trying to fix a prior issue i descovered that my right click has refused to work in the start menu. To clarify i can click on the start menu just fine its in the search in the menu that the right click is not working. the menu that is supposed to pop up after the right...