Windows 10: Windows 10 - No start menu

Discus and support Windows 10 - No start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok, so I downloaded windows 10 a few days ago using the media creation tool. Everything has been working great up until this morning. I was watching a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheComedown00, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Windows 10 - No start menu

Ok, so I downloaded windows 10 a few days ago using the media creation tool. Everything has been working great up until this morning. I was watching a movie through VLC and shortly after getting done my laptop wanted to install an update. I ok'd it and it started doing so. While it was installing I fell asleep with the computer on my lap (it was like 3am). When I woke up 30 min or so later I noticed that the old start screen was back and I couldnt get my start menu and desktop to show. So I started looking around trying to figure out how to get it back. I had no luck so I got online and looked it up. I really couldnt find anything other than the directions on how to switch back and forth through the settings. I didnt know about this yet so I went into settings, personalization, and then start menu. The button was set in the off position for "Show full start screen". I had the laptop plugged into my tv with an HD cable so I clicked the button for the start screen on and off, unplugged the HD cable, and then restarted my computer. It came back on and there was still no start menu. I tried doing a system restore but the only restore point said it was done at the update. It should have been created before the update was installed though (right?) so I tried that. It did the restore successfully but the problem still persisted. Finally it was close to 5am and I was getting more and more frustrated so I put it down and tried again this morning. I went back through those steps but still cant get it to work correctly. That leads me to now. I need some help...
    I dont know if I hit something in my sleep and it is just something stupid that I dont know about or if something is actually wrong. One thing I came across online was that if windows 10 is on a device with a screen that is 10in or smaller that it wont have a start menu. Could something have happened that made it think it is on a smaller screen that what it is? I just dont know. I would very much appreciate any help that is given though. I hope to resolve this as soon as possible. I guess if I cant get it figured out I can just do a fresh install but I would rather not have to do that. I did do a fresh install of windows 10 though so there isnt much on here yet but I think it would still be a pain. If I do have to do that would it revert first back to windows 8.1 and then I would have to upgrade back to 10 after that? Or would it just revert back to a fresh windows 10?
    Ok this message is long enough now I think... *Smile I really do appreciate any help given. Thanks

:)

TheComedown00, Aug 4, 2015

2. Windows 10 - no start menu - no sound - no youtube

Hi Lukas,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the methods provided below:

Method 1: DISM TOOL:

• On the Search bar type “cmd”. Right Click on the Command Prompt option and select Run as Administrator. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow).
    • Type “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth”\

For more information about DISM click on the link below:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Method 2: Run a SFC (System File Checker) scan.

• Right click on Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
    • After the scan is complete, type “exit” and press Enter.

For more information about SFC scan, click on the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

I suggest you to install all pending Windows Updates and Drivers software and check if the issue persists.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - no start menu - no sound - no youtube

Hi everybody,

recently I've upgraded to Win10 from Win7 and since beginning I have persisting problem with start menu. For no (some) reason, it stops to popup when clicking the startmenu button and at the same moment, also sound crashes and I'm not even able to play streaming
    videos on youtube. I guess these issues relate somehow, because all the issues together happen at the same moment. I'm absolutely crazy about this, because the only solution I've found by now is a reboot, which is quite an annoying procedure to perform every
    20 minutes. I've already tried to reinstall sound drivers, I've tried to kill and reexecute explorer.exe however, after second manual execution, only a taskbar shows up and has no icons neither on the desktop. Anybody has some WORKING solution? I've found
    a plenty over the internet but none was working. Thanks!

LukasDurjan, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 - No start menu

1. Windows 10 - No start menu - Similar Threads - start menu

2. Unable to open settings through start menu icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to open settings through start menu icon: Unable to open settings through start menu. I can open the settings through the search but the icon doesn't appear on the taskbar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-settings-through-start-menu-icon/205c969e-57b1-4dfb-b299-323bb113a65b
  3. Start Menu gets its own process and a performance boost in Windows 10 19H1

in Windows 10 News
    Start Menu gets its own process and a performance boost in Windows 10 19H1: The next version of Windows 10, Windows 10 19H1 delivered as the May 2019 Update at the end of May 2019, features several Start Menu improvements. Some of these improvements fall on the usability side of things: Microsoft changed the default Start Menu layout to a...
  4. When trying to search on Windows ten, the start menu keeps auto scrolling to the top.

in Cortana
    When trying to search on Windows ten, the start menu keeps auto scrolling to the top.: Hey guys, I'm very confused about how to fix this. When I hit the windows key to search for a program and the start typing it auto scrolls to the top and I can't stop it. For example, if i hit the windows key and then start typing "Visual Studio" it will highlight visual...
  5. Weird graphical Start Menu Search bug

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird graphical Start Menu Search bug: When typing something to search for in the Start Menu, the search results don't show up and a graphical bug is visible instead. This happens randomly and only gets fixed after a reboot. The last time it occurred was after updating a Store app through the Microsoft Store....
  6. non functioning start menu / windows icon after glitchy update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    non functioning start menu / windows icon after glitchy update: I assume Windows 10 downloaded an update yesterday because today I cannot open Windows explorer, or Cortana or Task View on the taskbar. Windows key not working but I never use it anyway. Cannot get to 'settings' due to non functioning start menu button on desktop. Would...
  7. Searching from Start menu: unfathomable behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching from Start menu: unfathomable behaviour: If I search for "so" in the Start menu, I get the sound settings suggested. If I search for "soun" in the Start menu, I get a different result, even though both results contain both "so" and "soun". Why aren't both results presented? That would be ideal. Is there a way to get...
  8. Why can't I drag a folder to the right side of the start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why can't I drag a folder to the right side of the start menu?: I'm in the process of trying to put a shortcut to a folder on the right side of the Start menu. The most obvious approach to me is to drag it from Windows File Explorer onto the rightside of the Start menu which gets me the below response denying the action. Why is this? A...
  9. Windows 10 start menu folder suddenly empty

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 start menu folder suddenly empty: I frequently use Windows PowerShell, and this morning when I went to start it by right-clicking on the start menu button and selecting "Windows PowerShell", I'm getting an error: "Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\(this comp)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start...
  10. Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and...: Hi I performed a windows reset on my Surface Pro (2018 edition) as I was having some DNS/VPN issues (I didn't have much installed on the PC, so figured a reset would be the most straight forward fix). Since I have performed the reset, my start menu, search bar and action...