Windows 10: Windows 10 not asking for password when waking up

Discus and support Windows 10 not asking for password when waking up in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Dell XPS 8700 desktop, came with 8.1 Home, upgraded to 10 Home, then fresh installed 10 Home. Settings through the Settings menu and through Control... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Buffett, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Buffett Win User

Windows 10 not asking for password when waking up

Dell XPS 8700 desktop, came with 8.1 Home, upgraded to 10 Home, then fresh installed 10 Home. Settings through the Settings menu and through Control Panel both set to ask for password when waking up, but it doesn't. It does on boot, but not on wakeup. Latest bios, A11, installed. Clock is correct. Thoughts???

:)

Buffett, Aug 22, 2015

2. Windows 10 Not Asking for Password When Waking Up

Well, I just found the problem. Even though I had it set to ask me for a password every time in the "Settings" app, the "Require a password" setting was somehow turned off in the power options in the Control Panel.

Hopefully Microsoft will be able to consolidate all of the settings soon to avoid this kind of confusion.

CrownedMartyr, Aug 22, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Not Asking for Password When Waking Up

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the information with us. We are glad that your issue is resolved.

If you need any further assistance regarding Windows Operating Systems, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you.

Aswin_Anand, Aug 22, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 22, 2015
  5. Buffett Win User
    Thanks, Brink,

Yep, did all that. Even changed settings to disable PW selections, saved them, then redid them and still no luck...

Buffett, Aug 22, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 22, 2015
  7. Buffett Win User
    Tried it again, and.... No Joy!

Buffett, Aug 22, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Do all accounts have a password added to them?

Brink, Aug 22, 2015
  9. Buffett Win User
    Yep...

Buffett, Aug 22, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 22, 2015
  11. Buffett Win User
    Buffett, Aug 23, 2015
  12. Since this thread has anyone else had this problem? I've got 2 laptops in our office, both on Windows 10 Home Edition and both experiencing this exact same issue. I presume I must have set something incorrectly, but I've been over and over it (as has my colleague on his computer).

I've set power button to sleep - if I press it, I have to log in again
    I've set close lid to sleep - if I close it, I have to log in again
    I've set 3 minutes of inactivity to sleep - if I'm inactive the screen switches off after 3 minutes, but on jiggling the mouse (or whatever) the screen starts up again and I've not been logged out, its just the screen has gone inactive.

This laptop came with Windows 10 installed (as did my colleagues - he is on a HP laptop, I can find out the spec if required). I had previously done everything in the advice above (except the ctrl+alt+del advice, which I've now done and tested power button, closing lid, inactivity and switching computer off). I'm at a loss. If there is a known problem I can't find it on google, so hopefully someone out there can help me get to the bottom of it. If you need me to screenshot some screens (just to make sure I've not got option blindness from looking at the incorrectly set option over and over again), just let me know!

Thanks in advance.

lemonzorba, Apr 8, 2016
  13. Asamoday Win User

yes, I have same problem. I was worried it is security issue.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I have Lenovo desktop, came windows 8.1 installed. Upgradedto windows 10 recently. I tried to switch back to 8.1 and computer wont allow because am guessing a file was removed somehow. Now in just last week maybe wont ask for password on waking. Also wakes upon own sometimes.
    I want to ask if youhave elgato capture card? I have and installed software has caused sound problems. As in system is confused between front headphone jack and rear audio jack. No big problem, just has to be reconfigured sometimes which only takes a second. I was wondering if problem caused by elgato software.

its no big problem not asking for password. I am just worried there may be spy on computer.
    Sorry for poor english.

Asamoday, Jul 2, 2016
  14. Asamoday Win User
    Ok all of sudden is working perfectly. I changed nothing. Was not asking for password for weeks and now working. I have automatic updates turned off too.

Asamoday, Jul 13, 2016
  15. Buffett Win User
    Asamody,

Didn't know this thread was still alive. I had the same experience after all the above mentioned foo for all, just started working, and that was that!

Buffett, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 not asking for password when waking up - Similar Threads - asking password waking

2. Windows 11 Not Asking for Password on Wake from Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Not Asking for Password on Wake from Sleep: For some reason, even after changing options in GPEdit, the OS refuses to ask me for a password when I wake the computer from sleep without first locking the computer.For context, the user account is a local user account.I tried following the instructions from Claudeeera on...
  3. Windows 11 Not Asking for Password on Wake from Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Not Asking for Password on Wake from Sleep: For some reason, even after changing options in GPEdit, the OS refuses to ask me for a password when I wake the computer from sleep without first locking the computer.For context, the user account is a local user account.I tried following the instructions from Claudeeera on...
  4. **Windows asking for password after waking up from sleep**

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    **Windows asking for password after waking up from sleep**: Hello Microsoft Team,I am having some kind of issue related to passwords. My Computer does not ask for password when I turn it on. But after waking it from sleep it ask's for password, I want to disable that password after waking it from sleep. How can I do that?...
  5. Password on Wake Up not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password on Wake Up not working: No matter what settings I try my computer still does not require a password on wake up from sleep. I have changed the wake up option from Never to Require password on wake up and it still never askes for a password. I've tried different time out settings on screen and sleep...
  6. Win10 Pro PC Not Asking for Password on Wake

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Win10 Pro PC Not Asking for Password on Wake: Hello, I recently had to copy a bunch of files from ole external drive to a new external drive. I knew it would take several hours (if not more) so I changed my settings to sleep after 5 hours so there were no interruptions. Upon changing the settings back to 25 minutes, it...
  7. Win10 Pro PC Not Asking for Password on Wake

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Pro PC Not Asking for Password on Wake: Hello, I recently had to copy a bunch of files from ole external drive to a new external drive. I knew it would take several hours (if not more) so I changed my settings to sleep after 5 hours so there were no interruptions. Upon changing the settings back to 25 minutes, it...
  8. Require password at wake up.

Require password at wake up.: I have Windows 10 latest update on a new Lenovo laptop. I want it to require a password when I wake it up. I have it set to sleep after 10 minutes, which it does OK. Under "sign-in options", "require-sign in", I have chosen "when PC wakes up from sleep". But, when I wake it...
  9. require password when monitor wakes up

require password when monitor wakes up: require password when monitor wakes up display is only hibernated not computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/require-password-when-monitor-wakes-up/7cfcd0d1-253f-4dbe-a8b8-289d282d1b34
  10. sleep wake up with no password

in Windows 10 Support
    sleep wake up with no password: hello what im after is a way to start the computer when its in sleep mode in windows 10 when im not at home so i can use a remote to assess the computer but im getting stuck when restarting asking for a password. im using task scheduler to create task to start with no problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 ask for a password on wake up

2. windows 10 not requesting password

3. windows not asking for password

4. windows 10 not asking for password,
  5. windows 10 is not asking for a password when waking up,
  6. when waking up the computer. it doesnt ask for a password,
  7. WHEN WAKING UP MY COMPUTER ITS NOT ASKING FOR PASSWORD