Windows 10: Windows 10 Not Booting Correctly

Discus and support Windows 10 Not Booting Correctly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Dell 3252 Desktop. Pentium N3700 1.6 GHz, 8 GHz RAM. I am currently dual-booting Windows 10/Ubuntu 17.04. I had booted into Ubuntu and was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rocklock, Sep 6, 2017.

1. rocklock Win User

Windows 10 Not Booting Correctly

I have a Dell 3252 Desktop. Pentium N3700 1.6 GHz, 8 GHz RAM. I am currently dual-booting Windows 10/Ubuntu 17.04.

I had booted into Ubuntu and was doing an update. The update hung, so after about an hour I shut down and rebooted into Ubuntu. The update finished successfully and I again rebooted. I selected Windows 10 and...nothing. That time and every time since I just get a blank screen. If I go F12/Boot Options and select boot from hard disk I get nothing but the blue widow for 10-15 minutes, then the log in screen. I enter my password and after another 10 minutes if finishes loading.

Once i'm into Windows the fun starts. If I delete a file or folder, the name stays until I go to another directory and come back. If I renames a file or folder, it reverts back to the original until I go to another directory again.

Shutdown, Hibernate, etc. no longer work. Any suggestions?

:)

rocklock, Sep 6, 2017
  2. Babu V Win User

Windows 10 not booting correctly

Hi Kathy,

You may refer to the following suggestions and check if they fix the issue.

Method 1:

Step 1: Start your computer in safe mode and check if you get the error.

Refer this link to start the computer in safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/changing-the-start-up-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

If it works fine in safe mode, perform clean boot.

Step 2: Perform clean boot.

Clean boot will help us identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

To do this, follow steps from this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After checking the functionality in clean boot, follow the suggestions under “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting”.

Method 2: Login to the different user account and check if the same issue persists, if you do not have different user account, please create a new user account.

To create a new user account, refer to these suggestions:

• In start menu search type user, click
      Add, delete, manager other user account

• Click Add user, follow on screen instructions.

If you face any further issues, you may reply to this post and we'll be happy to assist you further.

Babu V, Sep 6, 2017
  3. Windows 10 not booting correctly

I updated to Windows 10 - Today when i sign in it boots up, then goes black, then boots, then goes black. Start button doesn't work, no icons show up in the task bar. Any fix?

KathyM_945, Sep 6, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Hi rocklock and welcome to Tenforums.

In Windows, check the health of your drive:
    Crystal Disk Info

Run chkdsk /r on the OS drive

Open an admin command prompt/Powershell and run - sfc /scannow

Turn off Fast Startup and give it a few real shutdowns.
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

simrick, Sep 9, 2017
  5. rocklock Win User
    Tried all the above...no joy.

rocklock, Sep 11, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    Okay so your hard drive health is good, chkdsk and sfc found no problems, and turning off Fast Startup didn't help.
    Perhaps you could try a repair install using an in-place upgrade. This will keep all your programs and files intact.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

It's also possible that your user account has become corrupted. Creating a new one may be in order.

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Not Booting Correctly - Similar Threads - Booting Correctly

2. My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot: What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-cant-start-correctly-and-keeps-restarting/b643ab73-a523-4d98-b297-f62a61e70d8e
  3. My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot: What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-cant-start-correctly-and-keeps-restarting/b643ab73-a523-4d98-b297-f62a61e70d8e
  4. My PC can't start correctly and keeps restarting after I enabled all processors on boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. correct or recommended boot order.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    correct or recommended boot order.: Can someone help me out with the correct or recommended boot order. I have an HP 5ap8mp 17- can3xxx running Windows 11..... UEFI Boot Order 1. OS Boot Manager 2. Internal CD/DVD ROM drive 3. USB flash drive /USB hard drive 4. USB CD/DVD ROM drive 5. Network adapter...
  6. correct or recommended boot order.

correct or recommended boot order.: Can someone help me out with the correct or recommended boot order. I have an HP 5ap8mp 17- can3xxx running Windows 11..... UEFI Boot Order 1. OS Boot Manager 2. Internal CD/DVD ROM drive 3. USB flash drive /USB hard drive 4. USB CD/DVD ROM drive 5. Network adapter...
  7. Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation: I want to add a second installation of WIN 10 to my laptop with dual boot. I’ve made a new partition and created a USB installation drive with the MediaCreationTool. When I go to instal, I select the new partition, but get the following message: "The Partitions on the disk...
  8. Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation: I’ve made a new partition and created a USB installation drive with the MediaCreationTool. When I go to instal, I select the new partition, but get the following message: "The Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order. For additional information about installing to...
  9. Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation

Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation: I’ve made a new partition and created a USB installation drive with the MediaCreationTool. When I go to instal, I select the new partition, but get the following message: "The Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order. For additional information about installing to...
  10. Windows seems to not fully boot correctly on occasion

Windows seems to not fully boot correctly on occasion: Desktop computer running windows 11 23H2 works fine most of the time but sometimes when i turn my computer on it boots normally but doesn't fully work or load things that normally load. Ex: file explorer works and opens but Microsoft edge wont open, or most other...