Windows 10: Windows 10 Not Booting - No Splash Page & Flashing Black Cursor

Discus and support Windows 10 Not Booting - No Splash Page & Flashing Black Cursor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm presently stuck with a flashing cursor after my BIOS has loaded. I'm assuming there's an issue with my BIOS loading the OS. I'm typing this from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by scjohnson1988, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Not Booting - No Splash Page & Flashing Black Cursor

I'm presently stuck with a flashing cursor after my BIOS has loaded. I'm assuming there's an issue with my BIOS loading the OS. I'm typing this from work and I was up most all last night tinkering with my PC, so I apologize for any poor grammar or prose due to sleep deprivation. My ideal outcome would be a restoration of system. However, I would accept using an older backup or doing some form of refresh/re-install. I'd be happy to provide any additional information.
    Specs:
    Tower PC / Non-laptop
    Asus Z170K
    Intel Core i5 6600k
    16 GB of DDR4 RAM from GSKILL
    Asus NVIDIA GTX 1070 STRIX
    Samsung Evo Pro 950 NVMe via M.2 -- The OS is installed on this drive
    Generic DVD Drive
    Some 2 TB HD that I used to store games/files/media.
    Corsair PSU (not over-taxed, but I forgot the specs off the top of my head)
    Likely Cause:
    I downloaded the update a few days ago and did "Update and Restart" (or maybe "Update and Shutdown"). I was having issues being unable to launch VMPlayer, so after the initial update & reboot, I entered my BIOS settings (Asus Z170K), enabled virtualization, and then rebooted again to launch Windows. Upon reboot, I was stuck with the black flashing cursor. I am not getting to the Windows splash page at all. I am fairly confident this is not a video card or display issue.
    Things I have checked/done already:

• My boot order is correct. I have my OS installed on a Samsung Evo 950 NVMe SSD on an M.2 slot and it had been functioning perfectly fine prior to the update. I also have a 2 TB HD on SATA and a typical DVD drive.
    • I am using the latest BIOS drivers, but I re-flashed it (which resets it to default/wiped my OC settings) to no avail.
    • In the BIOS, I have tried to: Disable fast boot, change CSM to both "Auto" and "Enable UEFI/Legacy" (may be a few words off on that setting), disable/re-enable virtualization, and a few other tweaks I can't think of without being at my BIOS.
    • I tried entering Ctr+Alt+Del four times to force a Windows boot to no avail. I read some posts where people had success loading Windows after using it four times.
    • I tried waiting on the cursor screen for roughly 90-120 minutes. As I have an Evo 950, my boots are typically extremely quick.
    • I created a repair drive:
      • The repair drive showed in my BIOS as both an UEFI and a typical/non-UEFI drive. I attempted to use both the UEFI and non-UEFI settings for all of these settings. The only exception would be that the non-UEFI boot did not have a prompt to go to my BIOS UEFI settings.
      • I attempted to use the "System Restore" settings. However, none were able to be located.
      • I attempted to use the "Startup Repair" settings. The UEFI setting said it could not work (or it may have said it found no problems - I cannot remember, but ultimately it provided no resolution), while the non-UEFI bootup just restarted my PC and sent it back to the boot order I had configured at the time. Similar to the UEFI boot, this did not provide a resolution.
      • I attempted to use the Command Prompt from the recovery media (syntax may be wrong below, but the commands ran successfully); these were all ONLY run on the UEFI USB:
        • I successfully ran sfc /scannow - no resolution
        • I successfully ran bootrec.exe /fixboot - no resolution
        • I successfully ran bootrec.exe /scanOs - My OS was identified on drive F (which is the SSD that has Win10 installed)
        • I successfully ran bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd - no resolution
        • I successfully ran bootrec.exe /fixmbr - no resolution
        • After running all of these commands, I was no longer able to boot into the UEFI boot of my recovery USB.
          • I suspect I may have ran the various bootrec commands in a bad order.
          • I ended up re-creating a new recovery media file on a different USB after the crash, but it did not resolve anything.
        • I used diskpart for a little bit, but I mostly did it to review the status on the drive. I was able to select/do anything I wanted, but I didn't take any real actions using it.
          • Is it possible to browse to my Windows installation in the C:\Windows directory and use that as image to boot from?
      • I attempted to use the Startup Settings to go back to a previous build. However, this option did not work.
        • I did see a blurb on a Microsoft support site about being unable to do this within 10 days of upgrading to Windows 10 or the Windows 10 anniversary update.
      • I attempted to use the System Image Recovery. I do have an older backup I created with the Windows 7 backup tool on Windows 10, but I am unaware of any other backups. Refer to the "Alternate Solution" section for more information on that.
    Additional Information:

• From the recovery media's command prompt, I was able to see that my SSD was on the "F:" drive, while the recovery OS shell/prompt was on ":X" (I think). From what I could tell, the partition was "Healthy" and it had all the proper data. This leads to me to believe that the file structure is still in tact.
    Alternate Possible Solution:
    I have a Windows 7-style backup (created on Windows 10) that I created on August 26th. I would very much prefer to avoid using this. However, I also have a problem with this method of recovery. I have the backup file stored on my NAS. From the "browse" folder, I can get to the file where it says to point to the location where the image is stored. However, it is not accepting my credentials to even access my backup. I have another Windows 10 box at my apartment and I logged out and re-logged into the NAS to validate that my credentials are indeed correct. The NAS is running on a Linux flavor, so I don't know if there are complications with obtaining the file from a different OS. I would try to move it to my other Windows 10 box, but that computer's HD is only 750 GB, and my recovery file is .99 GB. I also have a 1 TB external HD with USB 3.0, but it's functionally available space is in the avenue of 922 GB. Is there anyway I can manually trim some files or split the recovery file up?
    I would also not mind losing all my Windows settings, but I'd really like to keep my files/data if possible. That's my overall goal. I am going to look into running my Kali or some sort of Ubuntu live boot and see if I can toss most of it onto my External HD if I need to nuke my OS. I'm also concerned if I can find where I actually wrote down my Windows CD Key.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    ==================
    I eventually solved this myself, but unfortunately, I'm not specifically sure what fixed it. I ended up having to unplug all my SATA drives (HDD and DVD-RW). I think the problem was that the various Windows recovery tools were ignoring the boot order in favor of SATA drives over the M.2 SSD. Once I removed those, I had more recovery options available from the recovery media. Although none of the options or commands I entered seemed successful, the problem somehow went away on a random accidental reboot.

:)

scjohnson1988, Aug 10, 2016

2. Stange FLASHES ON BOOT WINDOWS 10

When first booting up and the MSI Splash screen goes out there is a white flash and then a black screen then the wallpaper of windows 10.

The white flash has started since windows 10 upgrade. Seems there is some kind of bug as to the white flash.

Mark

MARKWIDERSTROM, Aug 10, 2016
  3. GFlat Win User
    Windows 10 June 2017 Update KB4022405 ISSUES

P.S. re: Cursor---When I boot from the Boot Media flash drive, I initially see a blinking white cursor at the top left of a black screen, but no cursor on the blue screen.

GFlat, Aug 10, 2016
Thema:

Windows 10 Not Booting - No Splash Page & Flashing Black Cursor

1. Windows 10 Not Booting - No Splash Page & Flashing Black Cursor - Similar Threads - Booting Splash Page

2. Black screen with flashing taskbaroccasionally and cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with flashing taskbaroccasionally and cursor: Hi all. As said in the title I am experiencing a black screen and occasionally a flashing taskbar along with it. I have tried mostly all of the recommended ways of clearing it up restarting, checking the user shell, reseting windows, cleaning up the boot, safe mode I have...
  3. Black screen with cursor and flashing squares

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen with cursor and flashing squares: Hey guys I could really use your help im kinda stressed out since imma streamer I can't open my laptop it keeps me on a black screen and you can also see some black squares i can see my cursor but thats it i can't even start up my computer anymore i been trying for two full...
  4. Black screen with No Splash

Black screen with No Splash: So basically what I did was that I opened my whole pc and cleaned the dust and then I reassembled it back but now, whenever I press the power button I dont get the splash screen [Dell] and my screen only shows blinking white cursor. I cannot even access Bios. My specs:...
  5. Black screen with cursor and flashing task bar

Black screen with cursor and flashing task bar: Hello. I was using my laptop as usual, but suddenly, the wallpaper turned black and my task bar disappeared. Think restarting would help, I held the power button to turn it off, and I turned it back on. I noticed my custom cursor was changed back to default. Weird. It had...
  6. Black Screen and flashing cursor

Black Screen and flashing cursor: I had a malware that opened up ads in edge. I downloaded a malware remover, ran it and then restarted my pc. But it never turned on. I gets stuck at this flashing cursor. What do I do?...
  7. Booting to black screen with cursor

Booting to black screen with cursor: Hello and thank you all for any help or ideas. In general, on startup my computer is 'scanning and repairing' drives, then booting into a black screen with cursor. I don't have a pc easily available to install usb boot programs but have tried a couple thus far. Refreshing or...
  8. HP Pavilion black screen and flashing cursor on boot

in Windows 10 Support
    HP Pavilion black screen and flashing cursor on boot: Hi, I have a HP pavilion that presents a black screen with flashing cursor top left from boot just after seeing to bios screen, My guess would be a failed update has caused a problem, The PC belongs to a relative who is worried sick about loosing all her photos (we have...
  9. Windows boots to black screen, no cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots to black screen, no cursor: Windows 10 Prof x64 Sager Laptop, i7 NVidia 980M<br /><br /> This morning I resumed my computer back from sleep and different programs started hanging. So, I decided to restart. I restarted my computer and it stayed on the restart screen for ages, like 30 minutes. So I...
  10. multi boot splash page control

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    multi boot splash page control: Hi, I would like to better control the boot screens for multi boot windows. If I remain in windows 10 then I get the new boot loader page, if I choose win7 then I get redirected to win7 boot loader page. Can I keep just one page to select from? Thanks, Keith 56755