Windows 10: Windows 10 not booting with BSOD: Drive seems to have disappeared

Discus and support Windows 10 not booting with BSOD: Drive seems to have disappeared in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I bricked my system by (I think) interrupting sfc /scannow somehow. Whatever I did, Windows won't boot anymore and throws this error. I tried all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by guyyst, Feb 21, 2017.

1. guyyst Win User

Windows 10 not booting with BSOD: Drive seems to have disappeared

I bricked my system by (I think) interrupting sfc /scannow somehow.

Whatever I did, Windows won't boot anymore and throws this error. I tried all the usual things with recovery tools, like CHKDSK, sfc /scannow and the standard boot repair. But after entering Diskpart's List volume command, I noticed that the only volume listed is that of USB recovery drive.

If I go into the BIOS I can definitely see my 500gb SSD, so it's just not being recognized by Windows.

I already came across this post, suggesting that one could use TestDisk to recover bootable drives, but I felt like I should ask if this is even applicable to my situation, or if there's an easier solution.

Edit: Fixed it, see comments.

:)

guyyst, Feb 21, 2017
  2. guyyst Win User

Windows 10 not booting: Drive seems to have disappeared

I think I just fixed the problem,

due to a suggestion from the original "Reinstalling Windows" guide
    for the Dell XPS 15, I was using RAID mode instead of AHCI. So just out of curiosity I changed back to AHCI again.

When booting now, the PC immediately tried to repair itself, which ultimately failed, but at least it left me with access to the recovery tools and especially the console.

So I again tried, what was the first suggestion when
    googling my error code
    , and it worked much better (bootrec /scanos actually found an OS)

After I rebooted again I was now stuck at the Dell Logo, so I went to switch back to RAID mode to see what happens... And it worked! I'm back in Windows and everything is where I left it.

guyyst, Feb 21, 2017
  3. guyyst Win User
    Windows 10 not booting: Drive seems to have disappeared

I bricked my system by (I think) interrupting sfc /scannow somehow.

Whatever I did, Windows won't boot anymore and throws this error. I tried all the usual things with recovery tools, like CHKDSK, sfc
    /scannow
    and the standard boot repair. But after entering Diskpart's List volume command, I noticed that the only volume listed is that of USB recovery drive.

If I go into the BIOS I can definitely see my 500gb SSD, so it's just not being recognized by Windows.

I already came across this post, suggesting that one could use TestDisk to
    recover bootable drives, but I felt like I should ask if this is even applicable to my situation, or if there's an easier solution.

guyyst, Feb 21, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi guyyst,

Apologies for the huge delay.

You may want to download an ISO from this post, a Win10PE with preinstalled software that may help in recovering the partitions like the Minitool Partition Wizard *Smile

5. guyyst Win User
    No worries.

I used rufus to burn the Win10PE ISO to a USB drive and tried booting to it on my laptop (the corrupt machine) but wasn't able to select it as a boot option anywhere. Did the same thing on my main computer and it worked flawlessly. Had no luck with 2 other USB drives either.

I'll have to add that the laptop is definitely able to boot to USB in general, since I already booted to a live version of Ubuntu a couple days before.

On a side note: I tentatively tried to reinstall Windows to check if I would even be able to select my drive in the installation process.
    Following step 13 and onward, of this clean install guide for the Dell XPS 15, I loaded the driver for the for the PCIe SSD and saw all of these partitions from my drive. I don't know if this information is of any use use for the recovery of the current Windows installation, but at least it tells me that I could always just reinstall Windows if nothing else works c:

Attachment 123163
    (Had to just throw that image in here since Imgur is down :c)

guyyst, Feb 27, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    Seeing your booting with MBR, you may want to try this tutorial for repairing MBR (if it is corrupt or damaged).

7. guyyst Win User
    This wasn't successful for me either. 'bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr' failed with:
    Code: The system partition was not found: The requested system device cannot be found[/quote] That error does make sense though, seeing how the SSD isn't even listed if I do:
    Code: diskpart list disk[/quote] (Only shows the USB drive)

guyyst, Feb 28, 2017
  8. axe0 New Member

Did you find the Windows partition?

9. guyyst Win User
    Oh sorry, I should have added that I indeed used Ubuntu to look for the SSD, but didn't find it using fdisk or lsblk.

guyyst, Feb 28, 2017
  10. guyyst Win User
    I think I just fixed the problem,

due to a suggestion from the original "Reinstalling Windows" guide for the Dell XPS 15, I was using RAID mode instead of AHCI. So just out of curiosity I changed back to AHCI again.

When booting now, the PC immediately tried to repair itself, which ultimately failed, but at least it left me with access to the recovery tools and especially the console.

So I again tried, what was the first suggestion when googling my error code, and it worked much better (bootrec /scanos actually found an OS)

After I rebooted again I was now stuck at the Dell Logo, so I went to switch back to RAID mode to see what happens... And it worked! I'm back in Windows and everything is where I left it.

guyyst, Feb 28, 2017
  11. axe0 New Member
    Glad to hear you solved the issue *Smile

Thema:

1. Windows 10 not booting with BSOD: Drive seems to have disappeared - Similar Threads - booting BSOD Drive

2. Microsoft Store Seems to Have Disappeared

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Store Seems to Have Disappeared: For about a week now I've been having issues with my laptop bluescreen-ing so I decided to try troubleshoot it. Eventually I decided to do a fresh reinstall of windows to see if that could solve the issue it didn't. Not too long after the reinstall, my windows security app...
  3. Microsoft Store Seems to Have Disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store Seems to Have Disappeared: For about a week now I've been having issues with my laptop bluescreen-ing so I decided to try troubleshoot it. Eventually I decided to do a fresh reinstall of windows to see if that could solve the issue it didn't. Not too long after the reinstall, my windows security app...
  4. Microsoft Store Seems to Have Disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bluetooth seems to have disappeared from my device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth seems to have disappeared from my device: My ability to turn on and use Bluetooth seems to disappear from my laptop. I noticed the error when I tried to connect my wireless earbuds onto the laptop which I've done countless of times before. It simply said to make sure the device is discoverable, which it is since I...
  6. Bluetooth seems to have disappeared from my device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth seems to have disappeared from my device: My ability to turn on and use Bluetooth seems to disappear from my laptop. I noticed the error when I tried to connect my wireless earbuds onto the laptop which I've done countless of times before. It simply said to make sure the device is discoverable, which it is since I...
  7. Bluetooth seems to have disappeared from my device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Files Seem to Mysteriously Disappear from External Drive

Files Seem to Mysteriously Disappear from External Drive: My external 1TB hard drive was pretty full when I noticed it started being kinda slow. I then start to realize that a growing number of folders were inaccessible. I click on it, Windows Explorer "doesn't respond" for about 30 seconds or so, and then it just doesn't do...
  9. Webcam not working and camera driver seems to have disappeared

Webcam not working and camera driver seems to have disappeared: Hi, I have an Acer Aspire S 13 laptop on Windows 10. I've had it since about August of 2016 and the webcam has always worked. I used it this past July. Then this morning I tried to use it for a video chat app and it wasn't working. It doesn't work in the Camera app or...
  10. BSOD, Long boot time, seemingly random HD disappearance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD, Long boot time, seemingly random HD disappearance: Hello, Since updating (free, via download) from Win 7 to Win 10 I have had a few problems. I have 3 internal HD: (1) System drive (SSD, 500GB), (2), Media Drive (Seagate 3TB), (3) Documents Drive (500 GB). I also have a USB backup drive that the computer can see....