Windows 10: Windows 10 not detecting TV when hooked to HDMI

Discus and support Windows 10 not detecting TV when hooked to HDMI in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I am having a problem with Windows 10 not detecting my TV when I hook it up to my Tablet via HDMI. I initially though this was a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by BranBro, Jun 19, 2017.

1. BranBro Win User

Windows 10 not detecting TV when hooked to HDMI

Hello everyone, I am having a problem with Windows 10 not detecting my TV when I hook it up to my Tablet via HDMI. I initially though this was a video/graphics card problem so I went to the Intel site and they had me update the driver. So my graphics driver is up to date and it recognizes the TV, but Windows 10 is not detecting the TV. I plug the HDMI cable into my tablet then pug it into the TV, and then turn on the TV, and Windows doesn't detect it. I tried all the different ways of displaying, like duplicating the screen, extending, or 2nd screen only, but it still doesn't detect it. The TV is an older model from I think 2005 it doesn't have a digital tuner, but it does have an HDMI port. The TV is a Toshiba 23HLVA running at 50/60 Hz and is 720p. Can someone help me with this problem, because I really want to be able to hook my tablet up to my TV, and don't want to have to buy a TV since this one works fine.

:)

BranBro, Jun 19, 2017

2. TVs as monitors

I hooked up the two TVs with HDMI cords the one I'm using works but, the other TV can't be detected for some reason

Gamewarrior077, Jun 19, 2017
  3. cant detect tv with hdmi

Last night I upgraded to Windows 10 and have always had my laptop hooked up to my TV using HDMI and now that I upgraded it says it can't detect the TV is there anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

ChrisTekulve, Jun 19, 2017
  4. Windows 10 not detecting TV when hooked to HDMI

Hi BranBro. Welcome to the TenForums @BranBro

Could I ask you to check that model again. Toshiba USA does not like that model number.

Does this HDMI port support sound or are there sound jacks associate with the Source number. I ask as I have an old Sony, glass tube, and its HDMI is so old it does not support sound, or at least I could get it to work.

It's likely this TV is to old to be detected per say. It was built before Vista.

Anyway if you could check model maybe the manual will give some insights.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 22, 2017
  5. kimkl Win User
    If the TV is that old is a refresh rate problem and therefor it will not work i tried the same with a old no name TV it would not accept my laptop or find it so not sure you will get it working

kimkl, Jun 23, 2017
  6. Helmut Win User
    You say it is now detected, but not where exactly.

What does the Device Manager say in the monitor branch ?

What does the Graphics Driver say(Intel control panel) ?
    Do the monitor options show up in the Intel Graphics properties > Intel HD Graphics Control Panel > Display
    1) General Settings. can you select Display ? Is the Resolution and Refresh Rate correct ?
    2) Multiple Displays. Is it showing here ?

Windows 10 Notification area > Project method, you seem to be saying this is the one that does not work ?

Helmut, Jun 23, 2017
  7. BranBro Win User
    It is showing in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, but under Control Panel>Display>Change Display Settings, when I hit detect it doesn't detect the TV and when I hit project to a 2nd monitor it doesn't detect a 2nd monitor. It is not showing in Multiple Displays.

BranBro, Jun 24, 2017
  8. BranBro Win User

Here is all the info off of the back of the TV.
    Toshiba: LCD Color TV
    Power: AC/CA 100-240V-50/60 Hz 95W
    Model No:23HLV85
    FCC ID: BEJT23HLVA
    Manufacture Date: October 2005
    Serial Number: DX105017451

Also it does accept audio through the HDMI port. I have a digital converter hooked up to the TV with just a HDMI cable and I get audio and video through that, no audio cables are needed. The TV does have a VGA port but my tablet does not, so i would have to buy a mini HDMI to VGA cable which I don't want to do.

BranBro, Jun 24, 2017
  9. Still can't find on Toshiba site. Real long shot... within the TV setup menu is there anything to update firmware?

It may just be too old. Wish I had something better to offer.

Caledon Ken, Jun 25, 2017
  10. Helmut Win User
    I don't have the Display Icon in the Control Panel anymore, I presume that was due to the 1703 update. Moved to Settings, but it is there, no worries.

My oldest TV is from 2012 which is OK as a Monitor. Your 2005 TV may just be too old for Windows 10, on an early version of HDMI.

It maybe that the TV does not send any info back that is required by Windows 10. Modern TVs & Monitors do that.
    That's as far as my knowledge goes.

It would seem to be a Windows 10 problem.

I have retired all PC/Display hardware from that era, all of it still working, but now no longer compatible. Sad but what can you do, consumer technology moves on.

Helmut, Jun 25, 2017
  11. munk1955 Win User
    I don't know if this helps you or not but when I bought a new Vizeo 55" 4K in 2015 and hooked it up by HDMI from my desktop PC it would say NO INPUT DETECTED......I found out that I have to turn on the tv first and then after it gets to the no input screen then I can bring my PC out of sleep mode and it would detect my PC and everything worked fine but if I turned on the PC first then the TV it will never recognize my PC.

Don't know why it does that but I just figured it out after many trial and errors of messing with it!

munk1955, Jun 26, 2017
  12. ArnoldLayne, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 not detecting TV when hooked to HDMI - Similar Threads - detecting hooked HDMI

2. Windows 11/10 not detecting HDMI TV

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11/10 not detecting HDMI TV: [ATTACH]In some cases, as a PC user, on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer, you may encounter the issue whereby your PC can’t project to another screen, Surface does not connect to TV or Second screen, or Windows cannot detect the second monitor. In this post, we provide...
  3. hdmi tv

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hdmi tv: I had hdmi for two years. I cleaned my laptop and now on my tv screen only shows image of my laptop back ground. It will not let me use my tv as a screen, but I do have sound that comes from my tv that is from the laptop. Can anybody explain to me what happen or how to fix...
  4. hdmi tv

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hdmi tv: I had hdmi for two years. I cleaned my laptop and now on my tv screen only shows image of my laptop back ground. It will not let me use my tv as a screen, but I do have sound that comes from my tv that is from the laptop. Can anybody explain to me what happen or how to fix...
  5. hdmi tv

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. HDMI device detected Windows 10 producing sound but no sound on TV

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI device detected Windows 10 producing sound but no sound on TV: Hello, I've recently fresh-installed Windows 10 Home on my Alienware 15 laptop. I've had it working with an external TV connected through HDMI. before the fresh install. In short, hardware wise nothing should be wrong. Cable, the TV and HDMI jack were working just fine a few...
  7. Now no sound from tv when hooked to HDMI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Now no sound from tv when hooked to HDMI: I'm going to try to ask this question as concisely as possible and I would like a response that answers the question fixing the problem once and for all. do not direct me to some other random web page, do not give me instructions using buttons that do not exist on my...
  8. hdmi to tv

in Windows 10 Customization
    hdmi to tv: i cant see all of my screen it seem that it is streched both top and bottem cant see the bottem half of my task bare https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-to-tv/17330edf-3ace-49fa-8d45-1a831895338b
  9. Hooking up the computer to the tv

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hooking up the computer to the tv: I just got a new Acer Computer with an HDMI port. Question #1. On my tv does it matter which HDMI I use, like the one marked out? Now that it's hooked up what I see is my desktop background picture and in the lower left is the taskbar. I can hover over a browser and, in this...
  10. hooking up a TV

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    hooking up a TV: I want to hook up video from my video card (NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT) to my TV (making it my second monitor). My card has 2 DVI ports and one is for my monitor. I have no more HDMI ports on the TV so I need to use RCA or S-Video to connect the computer and the TV. I've tried a...