Windows 10: Windows 10 not in MSCONFIG boot menu

Discus and support Windows 10 not in MSCONFIG boot menu in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, So I was dual booting windows 7 and 10, and when I go into msconfig it used to always shows 7 and 10 in the boot menu. I deleted my windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mitchell, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Mitchell Win User

Windows 10 not in MSCONFIG boot menu

Hi,
    So I was dual booting windows 7 and 10, and when I go into msconfig it used to always shows 7 and 10 in the boot menu.

I deleted my windows 7 partition and wanted to make sure windows 10 is set to default OS, but now it shows nothing in the boot menu.

I'm to scared to turn off my PC incase it wont boot Windows 10 not in MSCONFIG boot menu :p

:)

Mitchell, Nov 1, 2015

2. how to stop booting from windows boot manager windows 10

Is it a WIndows Boot menu? Can we see a picture? If a WIndows Boot menu doesn't show up in msconfig then install EasyBCD which will always catch it.

Unless it's a BIOS/UEFI Boot menu popup?

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 1, 2015
  3. MSConfig in Win10 breaks startup recovery (Safe mode etc)

After running MSConfig on Windows 10 (any version including the latest anniversary update) and making any changes to startup services, booting into recovery options no longer allows me to get to the 'Startup' menu (The menu with the Safe mode options where
    you choose a number). It boots straight past it back into normal Windows startup. It no longer boots to the startup selection screen after choosing to startup with that screen in the recovery options.

The only way to get into safe mode is by using MSConfig and the only way to get back to normal startup is also with MSConfig.

This occurred before the anniversary update but after doing an in-place-upgrade with the anniversary update I was then able to enter recovery and select Startup options under troubleshooting and it did indeed boot into the startup selection screen. However.
    Upon running MSConfig, making a few changes like disabling a service or app and applying it I was then unable to get that menu ever again.

Can anyone confirm that making changes in MSConfig in Windows 10 causes the loss of the startup screen once selected and rebooted from the recovery options?

**** Van Dyke, Nov 1, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Your boot files were on your Windows 7 partition, so now you don't have any. I would recommend installing Macrium Reflect Free, creating a Rescue USB/DVD, and booting from that to create the boot files on your Windows 10 partition.

Or you can do this - just substitution Windows 10 for Windows 7:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2004518

NavyLCDR, Nov 1, 2015
  5. Mitchell Win User
    I've already mucked up as now it says MTLDR is missing.

Press crtl alt del.

I don't have any OS at the moment :/

Mitchell, Nov 1, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Looks like you may be facing a clean install.
    Got any bootable media?

Edwin, Nov 1, 2015
  7. Mitchell Win User
    Yep, but no idea how to merge partition into one.

Mitchell, Nov 1, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

If you're going to go ahead with a clean, ('bare metal'), install, boot from your install media, follow the prompts and choose 'Custom Install'; at the 'Disks' window delete desired partitions and 'Extend' them into one, then click next and follow the normal install procedure.
    Before you do, make sure you've exhausted all your options first and make backups of anything you can!

Edwin, Nov 1, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Nov 1, 2015
  10. Mitchell Win User
    Well all my content is stored on a HDD as I use a SSD for OS.
    so I'm happy with a clean install.

Does everything else look alright.
    should I format on the windows 10 dsk. Looks like something is on it
    i now however get this message
    Windows 10 not in MSCONFIG boot menu [​IMG]

Mitchell, Nov 1, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You still have all of the OS, but like I said, the boot files were on the partition you deleted. You can rebuild the boot files by booting from a Windows 10 installation USB/DVD.

NavyLCDR, Nov 1, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    @ Mitchell:

Try the other guys suggestions and try repairing the boot loader first.
    If you've got data somewhere in there, may not want to lose it.

Edwin, Nov 1, 2015
  13. Mitchell Win User

Oops
    i figured how to do it, so I went ahead with a clean install *Redface

everything seems ems to be fined, I'm to get getting critical updates screen.

then I guess I just need to install all my programs

Mitchell, Nov 1, 2015
  14. Edwin New Member
    K, good luck!

Edwin, Nov 1, 2015
  15. Mitchell Win User
    Everything seems fine, however I ran a sfc scan and it says I have corrupt files.

How do I fix it?

Edit:
    When I run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I get the error the source files could not be found

Mitchell, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 not in MSCONFIG boot menu - Similar Threads - MSCONFIG boot menu

2. Second windows and msconfig boot entry

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Second windows and msconfig boot entry: Hello,This happened after i tried creating new bootfiles by bcdboot c:\windows. Is there a way i can undo this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-windows-and-msconfig-boot-entry/a9ca9db4-c97f-41de-b23c-b2fac8eb8607
  3. msconfig regedist boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    msconfig regedist boot: hello today i tried to fix the mouse from regedist and then from msconfig but it didn't work and please how can i fix the black screen at startup pc and nothing works for me from microsoft or windows update please help...
  4. WINDOWS won't boot. Changed msconfig startingconfiguration.

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOWS won't boot. Changed msconfig startingconfiguration.: Hallo, I made a Fatal mistake. Inside of the Windows+R"msconfig" I changed the windows starting configuration. There was "WINDOWS 10 C:\Windows current operating system" and something else, I clicked on it. Saved the option and restartet my pc. It doesn't boot now :....
  5. MSConfig Advanced Boot Option, Boot Cores

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MSConfig Advanced Boot Option, Boot Cores: What is the MSConfig boot with more cores options, mine choose 6, and there is an available option of 12? What is that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msconfig-advanced-boot-option-boot-cores/fab83286-4884-4526-8e42-91b40302196c
  6. Windows not booting after changing something in msconfig.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows not booting after changing something in msconfig.: Hi I went into my msconfig to change the cores for my cpu and memory now I keep getting a blue screen and windows whe. I try to boot won't I have already tried some advanced options and made a windows restore so far nothing work can someone help me please and thankyou....
  7. What are Boot Advanced Options in MSCONFIG in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    What are Boot Advanced Options in MSCONFIG in Windows 10?: [ATTACH]MSConfig or System Configuration Utility is an inbuilt tool in Windows that allows you to manage startup items, boot options, Services & boot in Safe Mode, etc. Under […] This article What are Boot Advanced Options in MSCONFIG in Windows 10? first appeared on...
  8. Windows 10 doesn't boot after msconfig change.

Windows 10 doesn't boot after msconfig change.: I cannot boot into the desktop. How do you reinstall without loosing the data / files? My PC was originally a Windows 7 and then run the Windows 10 free upgrade when my notification popped-up. It's been working fine for years and currently in 1803 as 1903 keep failing to...
  9. Multiple copies of Windows 10 in MSCONFIG Boot tab

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple copies of Windows 10 in MSCONFIG Boot tab: For as long as I can remember the General tab in MSCONFIG always had the Selective Startup option checked with the Use original boot configuration not checked as follows. [img] When I check the Use original boot configuration option the default switches to Normal startup...
  10. Windows 10 boot menu

Windows 10 boot menu: After reversing a dual boot with Linux I would like to discover how to bring the boot back to just booting into windows w/o a menu to choose from. Linux is completely removed including the boot entry in the EFI partition and is not in my BIOS anywhere. When I now boot I have...