Windows 10: Windows 10 Not Receiving 5GHz Wi-Fi

Discus and support Windows 10 Not Receiving 5GHz Wi-Fi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have recently upgraded to a 150 mbps Wi-Fi plan, and have noticed that my laptop barely scratches 50. Apparently, this is due to the fact that my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by themaster402, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Not Receiving 5GHz Wi-Fi

I have recently upgraded to a 150 mbps Wi-Fi plan, and have noticed that my laptop barely scratches 50. Apparently, this is due to the fact that my laptop uses, and can only use, the 2.4 GHz, despite both the laptop and the Wi-Fi stick supporting 802.11a/n. I'm guessing this is a problem with the OS now, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Windows 10 Not Receiving 5GHz Wi-Fi [​IMG]

:)

themaster402, Sep 10, 2016
  2. neilpzz Win User

I am only showing my 2.4 and one channel can I change the channel to use the 5Ghz only I am very close to the modem

Depends on your Wi-Fi capability. If you are sure your router is providing 2.4 & 5GHZ band then you also need to be sure your Wi-Fi device in your PC/Laptop is able to use both 2.4 & 5GHZ.

neilpzz, Sep 10, 2016
  3. ensum Win User
    5ghz support on Lumia range

Hi, I want to get a Windows phone and am looking at the Lumia range but it has to support 5ghz wi-fi.

The phone specs only list the wi-fi bands supported which isn't overly helpful, so is there a list of Lumias that support 5ghz, or if you have one could you tell me if it supports it?

Thanks in advance,

Colin

ensum, Sep 10, 2016
  4. sml156 Win User

Windows 10 Not Receiving 5GHz Wi-Fi

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I though 5ghz is called Wi-Fi standard, 802.11ac

sml156, Sep 10, 2016
  5. Bastet Win User
    Does the router broadcast a 5G wifi signal? I use a modem & router combined & the 2.4G & 5G SSID's are different (ie routername & routername_5G), make sure the wifi adapter is set up with the 5G SSID name.

Bastet, Sep 10, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    As this ExpertReviews article states, both 802.11n and 802.11ac support dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) networking. 802.11ac does it faster.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 10, 2016
  7. Samuria Win User
    Your card is only n type is your router only n type to get top speed you need a Ac type router that supports both 2&5 gig and can in theory do 3 gig speeds what is you upload speed if your net is only 30meg having a fast wifi won't help it's only of use in local network speed your limited to you net speed

Samuria, Sep 10, 2016
  8. Windows 10 Not Receiving 5GHz Wi-Fi

The router is broadcasting A/N/AC, and all I need is my card to pick up at least one of them. It is currently broadcasting 5G.

themaster402, Sep 10, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    are you sure you are not confusing mbps and mb/s ? 150mbps is about 18-19mb/s (so same as a 20mb down plan....)

Bandwidth conversion calculator | toolstudio

That is the theoretical maximum of the connection remember ...NOT what YOUR laptop can sustain or obtain, even if the Hardware is capable due to interference , walls, etc in the way.

Is the Router Dualband ? perhaps it only does 2.4 or 5ghz not both at a time ?

Just because the Linksys is capable of 450mbps on N (3x3) does not mean your Router Supports that speed on N , your Router maybe only 2x2 or only 1x1 even perhaps ? The 1x1 wireless card means it has 1 receive antenna and 1 transmit antenna and can do a theoretical max transmission rate of 72Mbps. A 2x2 has 2 antennas for both receive and transmit and can do a theoretical max of 150Mbps. A 3x3 card has 3 antennas for both receive and transmit with a theoretical max of 450Mbps.

So the problem your having is maybe an antenna issue ? ie it only has 2 antennas total (1x1). so only 60mbps with inference/range etc.

OR Doctor9Fan maybe right , if both SSID's are named the same it maybe hooking upto the 2.4 Band as the signal is stronger and you can't tell it is on 2.4 not 5g. (see the link EdTittel posted)

KB

Kbird, Sep 10, 2016
  10. Adalwar Win User
    150 Mbps is 802.1n, SINGLE Band.
    802.1n can go up to 300Mbps.
    802.1n is 2,4GHz ONLY.
    802.1 AC is Dual Band, so 2,4 Ghz and 5GHz.
    150Mbps=4MB/s max. transfer rate .
    4MB/s=32Mbit/s=150Mbps

In Picture you see a Home Networking speed 300Mbps in Windows 10 . So, it is not Windows

Adalwar, Sep 10, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    802.11n is NOT 2.4 GHz only. It works on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, but the latter requires newer, more capable (and expensive) 802.11n hardware (routers, interfaces and so forth) than original 802.11n implementations. Here's a snippet from the 802.11 page at wikipedia to buttress my assertion (I also have a later generation Asus 802.11n router in my office right now that's running on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands):

Windows 10 Not Receiving 5GHz Wi-Fi [​IMG]

--Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 10, 2016
  12. Adalwar Win User
    @EdTitel - My understanding of that table is, if a Device supports 802.1 AC then it is also possible to use 802.1n mode on 5GHz band.
    If a device is pure 802.1n then it will work on 2,4GHz band ONLY. My router is a 300Mbps and is a 2,4GHz only device.
    Worldwide most of devices that are not AC are 2,4GHz only.
    It is pointless to put a Router working on 5GHz Band and expecting that 2,4GHz devices somehow will work like that.
    I feel that many people sometimes are hopping a "miracle" will happen.

Adalwar, Sep 11, 2016
  13. Haxcid Win User

It is a Linksys AE3000 card which is capable of doing N900 but the router type is not listed, if it not a N900 capable router then you will only ever see between 50 to 150. If your router can do AC then get a new adapter, one specifically designed for AC. What router do you have?

Haxcid, Sep 12, 2016
  14. EdTittel Win User
    OK, now I understand where you're coming from. Newer 802.11g products are advertised/described as "dual band" and do indeed go to both frequencies. Older devices do not. People need to be aware of what they've got, or take the time to dig into device info for the NIC or router to see what's what. "Nuff said.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Not Receiving 5GHz Wi-Fi - Similar Threads - Receiving 5GHz

2. What to do when you haven't received verification code?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do when you haven't received verification code?: When I login to my account I have to verify by a code they send to my phone number but I don't receive the code I have tried multiple times it has been hours and it seems to be the only way to access my account. The customer service is so bad I can't access anything and...
  3. What to do when you haven't received verification code?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What to do when you haven't received verification code?: When I login to my account I have to verify by a code they send to my phone number but I don't receive the code I have tried multiple times it has been hours and it seems to be the only way to access my account. The customer service is so bad I can't access anything and...
  4. unable to send or receive emails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to send or receive emails.: windows live 2012. cannot send or receive emails. error code showing :- Unable to send or receive messages for the Blacksmith account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period...
  5. unable to send or receive emails.

unable to send or receive emails.: windows live 2012. cannot send or receive emails. error code showing :- Unable to send or receive messages for the Blacksmith account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period...
  6. Hey,.! Wins 10 users : Did you. started to receive a Pop up. With the - End of support cycle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hey,.! Wins 10 users : Did you. started to receive a Pop up. With the - End of support cycle: What this all about : Everybody, who using windows 10know that in - Oct. 14 : 2024 - windows 10 willreach its end - of support : Do we really need areminder .. Yes - N0 My answer is - No really,.I logged on my PC at 4 : 30 PM - Today and what asurprise that, instead of...
  7. Hey,.! Wins 10 users : Did you. started to receive a Pop up. With the - End of support cycle

Hey,.! Wins 10 users : Did you. started to receive a Pop up. With the - End of support cycle: What this all about : Everybody, who using windows 10know that in - Oct. 14 : 2024 - windows 10 willreach its end - of support : Do we really need areminder .. Yes - N0 My answer is - No really,.I logged on my PC at 4 : 30 PM - Today and what asurprise that, instead of...
  8. Hey,.! Wins 10 users : Did you, started to receive a Pop up - with the End of support

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hey,.! Wins 10 users : Did you, started to receive a Pop up - with the End of support: What this all about : Everybody, who using windows 10know that in - Oct. 14 : 2024 - windows 10 will reach its end - of support : Do we really needa reminder .. Yes - N0 My answer. No,. I logged on my PC at 4 : 30 PM - and what a surprisethat, instead of display my "Wins 10 -...
  9. Hey,.! Wins 10 users : Did you, started to receive a Pop up - with the End of support

Hey,.! Wins 10 users : Did you, started to receive a Pop up - with the End of support: What this all about : Everybody, who using windows 10know that in - Oct. 14 : 2024 - windows 10 will reach its end - of support : Do we really needa reminder .. Yes - N0 My answer. No,. I logged on my PC at 4 : 30 PM - and what a surprisethat, instead of display my "Wins 10 -...
  10. Some of my contacts are receiving e-mails from gabrielcagfoc.hotmail.com using my name as...

Some of my contacts are receiving e-mails from gabrielcagfoc.hotmail.com using my name as...: Some of my contacts are receiving e-mails from gabrielcagfoc.hotmail.com and stating it's from me, Tony Bartolotti. The e-mail states its Pictures. Please check into this matter, so I can stop getting calls from my contacts wanting to know what's going on....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot receive 5 ghz wifi