Windows 10: Windows 10 not recognizing default mail app - wants to use old one

Discus and support Windows 10 not recognizing default mail app - wants to use old one in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I switched over to using Outlook about six months ago on one of my PCs (what? doesn't everyone have more than one?) from using Thunderbird. On the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Chris_Wheeldon, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Windows 10 not recognizing default mail app - wants to use old one

I switched over to using Outlook about six months ago on one of my PCs (what? doesn't everyone have more than one?) from using Thunderbird. On the Default Apps page in Settings, the default is Outlook. Yet, if I right-click a file and select "Send to mail recipient" it picks Thunderbird and not Outlook.

The only associations with Thunderbird (looking at File Type and Protocol Associations) are: .eml (Thunderbird document), .wdseml (Thunderbird document) and MAILTO (Thunderbird URL) which actually maps to Outlook. It's also not clear why MAILTO is shown as a Thunderbird URL because it should be a windows thing.

On my laptop, MAILTO is described as "URL:Mailto Protocol" so I suspect this is the root of the problems but it's not clear how I should fix it. Suggestions?

And, no, I don't want to uninstall Thunderbird because I have an archive of email in there I sometimes need to look at.

Thanks!
    Chris

:)

Chris_Wheeldon, Jul 25, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. *Smile

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Jul 25, 2018
  3. puma99dk| Win User
    Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Windows 10 not recognizing default mail app - wants to use old one :(

puma99dk|, Jul 25, 2018
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 not recognizing default mail app - wants to use old one

Default Mail Client

Scenario 1

Possibly, whatever he/she used to access their email, that client asked if they wanted to make it default and you are not setup in that to send or receive email.

Look through your email client settings and make your default or, if, you are using Windows.
    See here:
    Change the default e‑mail program
    and
    How To Change Default Email Client

Or, you can try to re-install the email client/app.

Scenario 2

You are saying you had to Dban your desktop; I will assume you wiped your drive and re-installed the O/S and apps. If this is the case you will need to setup your email, again... make sure you have used the proper settings for your email provider (incoming and out going server addresses, ports, pop3, SMTP, SSL and security settings, passwords, log-ins, etc.).
    If you overlook one little item, you may receive (or not) mail, but the server may reject your sent mail.

Goto the providers site and look instructions on setting up different email apps.

It would have helped, if, you would have stated what O/S, email client, and provider you are asking about.

95Viper, Jul 25, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 not recognizing default mail app - wants to use old one

1. Windows 10 not recognizing default mail app - wants to use old one - Similar Threads - recognizing default mail

2. windows 10 Mail App default calendar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 Mail App default calendar: Hi, When I set up calendar new event in my windows 10 mail app on desktop, the default calender is from for example gmail. My question is whenever I set up a calender event, can I pre set the default calendar, for example icloud?...
  3. mail app as a default

in Windows 10 Customization
    mail app as a default: Why would I use "mail" in windows 10 when I already have a gmail account? What is the purpose of "mail"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mail-app-as-a-default/5633cbb2-8eb8-45a8-a6d6-9540d17f450d
  4. Windows 10 Mail app, old emails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Mail app, old emails: I want to keep my old emails in the inbox but I don’t know how https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-mail-app-old-emails/18d8ac60-c5c1-49ce-a076-d594e3c34abd
  5. default mail app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default mail app: Every time I start up my PC since I updated to 1903 I get a message that there is no mail app associated. I do not have Outlook, only the Mail app from the app store. When I look at file associations or default programs I see Mail but I still get the weird message every...
  6. Windows 10 default email App not recognized

Windows 10 default email App not recognized: How do I make Windows 10 pro recognize Windows Mail as the default app for sending emails in programs such as Word? When I am in a word document and hit share via email I get a message that says I have not designated a default email app. I have designated Mail as the...
  7. Windows 10 not recognizing default mail app - wants to use old one

Windows 10 not recognizing default mail app - wants to use old one: I switched over to using Outlook about six months ago on one of my PCs (what? doesn't everyone have more than one?) from using Thunderbird. On the Default Apps page in Settings, the default is Outlook. Yet, if I right-click a file and select "Send to mail recipient" it picks...
  8. Use mail app as default mail client

Use mail app as default mail client: Hi I would like to use the Windows 10 built in email client and make it available in the "send to" menu. Now i have read that this is not possible but i dont understand why it would be a selection for default e-mail...
  9. Default Mail App on Windows 10 not secure?

in Browsers and Email
    Default Mail App on Windows 10 not secure?: I signed in my yahoo inbox using windows's default mail app, and yahoo keeps complaining about. [img] Question: Is window's default mail app really not secure, or is yahoo just trying to get me to use their app somehow? Window's fault, or yahoo being evil? Thanks....
  10. No default mail app

in Browsers and Email
    No default mail app: I want to right click on a file and send it to a mail recipient but Windows 10 PRO 16299.309 tell me there is no default mail client. I have looked at the Windows default mail app and it is set to Outlook 2016, no success. I have opened Outlook 2016 and made sure that I...