Windows 10 not starting after installing Ubuntu 18.04

Discus and support Windows 10 not starting after installing Ubuntu 18.04 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my Lenovo laptop, hoping to be able to access both Ubuntu and Windows according to my needs. During the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rshieh, Jun 12, 2018.

1. rshieh Win User

Hi,

I recently installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my Lenovo laptop, hoping to be able to access both Ubuntu and Windows according to my needs. During the Ubuntu installation I created a new partition on my HD and since then Windows entered on Automatic Repair mode. Ubuntu is currently working well and I do not want to uninstall it when trying to recover Windows, if possible.

I have searched extensively for other threads in here, but all of them refer to Ubuntu being installed on a different drive. On this thread, Avocado explains several options for restoring windows boot (post #24). I have tried running bcdboot D:\windows but after that I get an error code 0xc000000d (screenshot below) when booting Windows.

[​IMG]

Would there be anyway to get Windows working again without having to uninstall any OS?

From what I understood, I could delete and recreate the EFI system partition, but I imagine that would erase the Ubuntu system files as well, which I am trying to avoid.

I am attaching below the screenshots of my disk volumes and partitions, in case this is helpful.

For reference, I have a Lenovo that came with Windows 8, but I recently upgraded it to Windows 10 (which was working fine before I installed Ubuntu and created the new partition).

Thank you very much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

rshieh, Jun 12, 2018
  2. Nyima Yonten Win User

Windows 10 boot menu only gives me 'turn pc off' option while installing Ubuntu Operating System on it.

Hi Alinaalam,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to refer to the suggestion provided by Linux website regarding the dual boot of Windows 10 and Ubuntu.

Dual-Boot Ubuntu 15.04/14.10 And Windows 10/8.1/8: Step By Step Tutorial With Screenshots

Welcome to the Ubuntu installation guide:

Installation - Community Help Wiki

If you still facing the further issues, then I recommend you to post your query in the
    Ubuntu forum for further support.

Ubuntu Forums

Please get back to us with an update on issue with installing Ubuntu in Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 13, 2018
  3. IMAnonymous365 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 alongside Ubuntu?

Ubuntu comes as an ISO file, that has it's own "Installer" that automatically can adjust partitions for running two Operating Systems along each other. My suggestion is to go ahead and make a bootable drive (USB, CD, etc), or buy one. Try to install Windows
    10, and if you fail, you can use the bootable drive to re-install ubuntu along with Windows 10.

IMAnonymous365, Jun 13, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 not starting after installing Ubuntu 18.04 - Similar Threads - starting installing Ubuntu

1. Start installation on one PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start installation on one PC: I'm in the weird position of having to reinstall Windows on a laptop with system password. So Boot Option not available. Is it possible to start install on one PC and finish it on another? 112760
  2. Start installation on one PC - finish on another?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start installation on one PC - finish on another?: I'm in the weird position of having to reinstall Windows on a laptop with system password. So Boot Option not available. Is it possible to start install on one PC and finish it on another? 112760
  3. Start Menu not displaying installed software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu not displaying installed software: Hi all, I'm sure that there will be a thread about this somewhere but I've been looking for hours so please forgive me if the answered is down a well trodden path. Recently updated a Win 10 laptop - it has been dormant for a long time (maybe 2 years+). All was working...
  4. Un-Installed Mixed Reality But Can't Get Rid of Icons in Start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Un-Installed Mixed Reality But Can't Get Rid of Icons in Start: win 10 pro. I successfully un-installed Mixed Realty using the link below: https://www.askvg.com/tip-how-to-uni...in-windows-10/ but I can not figure out how to remove the icons from the start menu. See attached pic. Look on the left of the picture the two entries after...
  5. New Install, Tray apps vanished completely, need manual start on boot

in Windows 10 Support
    New Install, Tray apps vanished completely, need manual start on boot: I wondered why my mouse profiles didnt work today and on closer inspection all my tray icons of programs which normally should autostart (not system icons, actual autostart programs) were completely missing from the tray. This includes my motherboard (realtek) sound panel,...
  6. Start menu search does not show installed apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search does not show installed apps: My start menu does not show any installed apps such as VLC, steam or you name it. It does show up things like calculator but for the most part it does not show any installed apps. I did not mess with the indexing option and dont know what im missing here. How do I have my...
  7. is it possible to start win10 from USB (without installing o.s.)?

in Windows 10 Support
    is it possible to start win10 from USB (without installing o.s.)?: I created a bootable usb key with windows10 following this procedure. How to create a Windows 10 USB bootable media with UEFI support | Windows Central but when i turn on the pc, it lets me choose between installing win10 with or without keeping my files.. I thought...