Windows 10: Windows 10 not starting after installing Ubuntu 18.04

Discus and support Windows 10 not starting after installing Ubuntu 18.04 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my Lenovo laptop, hoping to be able to access both Ubuntu and Windows according to my needs. During the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rshieh, Jun 12, 2018.

1. rshieh Win User

Windows 10 not starting after installing Ubuntu 18.04

Hi,

I recently installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my Lenovo laptop, hoping to be able to access both Ubuntu and Windows according to my needs. During the Ubuntu installation I created a new partition on my HD and since then Windows entered on Automatic Repair mode. Ubuntu is currently working well and I do not want to uninstall it when trying to recover Windows, if possible.

I have searched extensively for other threads in here, but all of them refer to Ubuntu being installed on a different drive. On this thread, Avocado explains several options for restoring windows boot (post #24). I have tried running bcdboot D:\windows but after that I get an error code 0xc000000d (screenshot below) when booting Windows.

Windows 10 not starting after installing Ubuntu 18.04 [​IMG]

Would there be anyway to get Windows working again without having to uninstall any OS?

From what I understood, I could delete and recreate the EFI system partition, but I imagine that would erase the Ubuntu system files as well, which I am trying to avoid.

I am attaching below the screenshots of my disk volumes and partitions, in case this is helpful.

For reference, I have a Lenovo that came with Windows 8, but I recently upgraded it to Windows 10 (which was working fine before I installed Ubuntu and created the new partition).

Thank you very much!

:)

rshieh, Jun 12, 2018

2. Windows 10 boot menu only gives me 'turn pc off' option while installing Ubuntu Operating System on it.

Hi Alinaalam,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to refer to the suggestion provided by Linux website regarding the dual boot of Windows 10 and Ubuntu.

Dual-Boot Ubuntu 15.04/14.10 And Windows 10/8.1/8: Step By Step Tutorial With Screenshots

Welcome to the Ubuntu installation guide:

Installation - Community Help Wiki

If you still facing the further issues, then I recommend you to post your query in the
    Ubuntu forum for further support.

Ubuntu Forums

Please get back to us with an update on issue with installing Ubuntu in Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 13, 2018
  3. Installing Windows 10 alongside Ubuntu?

Ubuntu comes as an ISO file, that has it's own "Installer" that automatically can adjust partitions for running two Operating Systems along each other. My suggestion is to go ahead and make a bootable drive (USB, CD, etc), or buy one. Try to install Windows
    10, and if you fail, you can use the bootable drive to re-install ubuntu along with Windows 10.

IMAnonymous365, Jun 13, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 not starting after installing Ubuntu 18.04

1. Windows 10 not starting after installing Ubuntu 18.04 - Similar Threads - starting installing Ubuntu

2. Return to Windows 10 after Ubuntu was installed over it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Return to Windows 10 after Ubuntu was installed over it.: I installed Ubuntu over windows by accident. I do not care about my files I just want windows back. What is the quickest solution? I'm trying to mount the windows iso and it seems to get stuck at 37%...
  3. Return to Windows 10 after Ubuntu was installed over it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Return to Windows 10 after Ubuntu was installed over it.: I installed Ubuntu over windows by accident. I do not care about my files I just want windows back. What is the quickest solution? I'm trying to mount the windows iso and it seems to get stuck at 37%...
  4. Return to Windows 10 after Ubuntu was installed over it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows disappeared after installing ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows disappeared after installing ubuntu: Hello! I hope I'm in the right place. TL;DR - I have more than one hard drive and everything was just working. Added a new SSD and got windows set up on it. installed ubuntu on the old 250 gb SSD. Now I cannot access windows, it wont boot and does not show up in the MSI...
  6. Windows 10 not working after installing ubuntu 18.04

Windows 10 not working after installing ubuntu 18.04: I bought a laptop with windows 10 pre-installed in it. Yesterday I installed ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS by creating a new partition. Ubuntu is woeking fine now but when i boot into Windows, an error "winload.efi file missing or contains errors" pops up. Please help. I can see the...
  7. Performance Issue and Failed to install on ‎18-‎04-‎2019 - 0x8024000b

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Performance Issue and Failed to install on ‎18-‎04-‎2019 - 0x8024000b: I am using i3 7th generation dell laptop and it is performing really very slow, i contact shop from where i bought, they told me you need to update windows time to time , my current version is 1809 amd64 2019-04. what should i do to increase my laptop performance ? Another...
  8. Can't install Windows after installing Ubuntu

Can't install Windows after installing Ubuntu: Since I've installed Ubuntu Budgie 18.04.1 on my PC, the USB installer just doesn't boot, it gives me a black screen. [ATTACH] Any other Linux USB installer seems to be booting normally. It just happens with Windows installers. So I can't install Windows because the...
  9. Dual boot with windows 10 and ubuntu 18

Dual boot with windows 10 and ubuntu 18: Hi there I tried to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10 on a Dell XPS laptop. Originally it had Win10. After partitioning and installing Ubuntu, Windows now no longer booting. "no accessible boot device" I tried to change many settings in BIOS: SATA: AHCI UEFI...
  10. INSTALL UBUNTU 18.O4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INSTALL UBUNTU 18.O4: WHAT DO I HAVE TO KNOW TO INSTALL UBUNTU 18.04 WITH WINDOWS 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/install-ubuntu-18o4/e2757bc7-3571-4e3f-b49b-53eb48fb9e7c