Windows 10: Windows 10 - Not Starting Up after Boot (Wanting to keep files but not programs)

Discus and support Windows 10 - Not Starting Up after Boot (Wanting to keep files but not programs) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello! So it all started when I came home from work and uninstalled NVIDIA GeForce Experience and then installed it again because it wasn't working to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by iAuthenticate, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Windows 10 - Not Starting Up after Boot (Wanting to keep files but not programs)

Hello!

So it all started when I came home from work and uninstalled NVIDIA GeForce Experience and then installed it again because it wasn't working to capture Watch Dogs 2 (game) footage. Then I restarted my PC, says it couldn't start up, cold booted once I got the sad face and the QR code screen. then it ended up not starting up. After the loading icon froze the next couple of times I repeatingly cold booted my PC not knowing at all what to do. Next, I then said I want to clean out my PC but keep the files and remove the programs (ideally I want to keep everything but as well all know Windows never gives us the opportunity to save work or keep files when we want [no offense but it's the absolute truth]). Now I'm stuck with "Installing Windows 26%" "Don't turn off your PC. This will take a while." "Your PC will restart several times." with the loading icon stuck. It's been this way ever since 3 PM EST and now it's 12:39 AM EST, so about nine hours. I would tremendously appreciate any help!

What I remember:

Processor: Intel i5-4450 3.00 GHz

Graphics card: GTX 700

RAM: 12 GB

Anything you need to know, I'll provide it ASAP. I am striving greatly to get my PC back to where it was as it had most of my insurance, health care, etc. and I cannot lose that information.

:)

iAuthenticate, Aug 22, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 22, 2018
  3. zinou Win User
    Slow boot, slow shutdown, and slow program starts.

Hi,

Can you take a boot trace ?

Here is the steps:

• Open a command line as an Administrator (Run As Administrator)
    • Type the following command in the command line Windows: cd %programfiles(x86)%\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit
    • Type the following command to start recording the boot trace: wpr -start GeneralProfile -start CPU -onoffscenario Boot -onoffresultspath c:\wpr -numiterations 1 -filemode
    • Compress the .ETL file generated under the C:\WPR path (very important)
    • Upload the boot trace file on Dropbox or on https://www.transfernow.net/en/

zinou, Aug 22, 2018
  4. Windows 10 - Not Starting Up after Boot (Wanting to keep files but not programs)

Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Aug 22, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 - Not Starting Up after Boot (Wanting to keep files but not programs)

1. Windows 10 - Not Starting Up after Boot (Wanting to keep files but not programs) - Similar Threads - Starting Boot Wanting

2. My start up programs keep disabling after booting up my PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    My start up programs keep disabling after booting up my PC: I had both Spotify and translucentTB enabled before I restarted my PC and it keeps disabling itself. I checked their settings and its told its enabled but in Task Manager they AREN'T. Any open suggestions?...
  3. My start up programs keep disabling after booting up my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My start up programs keep disabling after booting up my PC: I had both Spotify and translucentTB enabled before I restarted my PC and it keeps disabling itself. I checked their settings and its told its enabled but in Task Manager they AREN'T. Any open suggestions?...
  4. My start up programs keep disabling after booting up my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. start up program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start up program: How can i setup chrome as startup browser. It is used to be under task manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-up-program/e3c38ec5-6482-48eb-a63b-a14af3fa7cd8
  6. start up program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start up program: How can i setup chrome as startup browser. It is used to be under task manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-up-program/e3c38ec5-6482-48eb-a63b-a14af3fa7cd8
  7. My laptop is deleting various programs and files after booting up.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop is deleting various programs and files after booting up.: My other laptop is having issues where full programs are being removed from the computer along with picture files. The background image is being reverted to a stock image. It's happened twice now with no warning in advance. The computer is being turned off by clicking the...
  8. Programs keep disappearing from start-up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs keep disappearing from start-up: So currently a list of programs (f.lux, Mailbird, QuiteRSS, etc.) keeps randomly disappearing from my Start-up. They're all listed in my Start-up menu but every now and then (maybe once or twice a week) they keep disappearing from the Start-up for no reason which either means...
  9. I want to delete a start up program.

I want to delete a start up program.: Good afternoon everyone, I am running WIN10 Pro on a Hp ZBook. My question is...….. How do I delete a program that opens only on start up? I cant find the program anywhere but I do know that it only opens on startup. Thank you to any and everyone that can help me with this....
  10. Boot-up Programs

Boot-up Programs: As of late, I no longer have my email program auto-start at boot-up. Also I have never been able to solve the problem of no left click function on the Task Bar and no right click function on the Start button. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 27475