Windows 10: Windows 10 now decided to not let me use Firefox anymore as default

Discus and support Windows 10 now decided to not let me use Firefox anymore as default in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Windows 10 now decided to not let me use Firefox anymore as default browser, although in Settings Firefox IS indicated as the default browser, as it... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Airider, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Airider Win User

Windows 10 now decided to not let me use Firefox anymore as default

Windows 10 now decided to not let me use Firefox anymore as default browser, although in Settings Firefox IS indicated as the default browser, as it has been for many months now.

How can I FORCE Win10 to really restore Firefox as the default browser?

:)

Airider, Jul 6, 2017

2. Edge not let me use Norton as my default browser .

Thanks I did and they said Edge don't allow extensions. Thanks anyway

RancidfanTC, Jul 6, 2017
  3. Edge not let me use Norton as my default browser .

I suppose but it's dutch to me. All I know is that on Win 7 I could set Norton as search engine and could use Norton toolbar but on win10 I can't seem to set toolbar on any of them

RancidfanTC, Jul 6, 2017
  4. Windows 10 now decided to not let me use Firefox anymore as default

Have you checked your Default Apps setting ? (Settings->Apps->Default Apps).

storageman, Jul 6, 2017
  5. mrgeek Win User
    Check the Options/Advanced/System Defaults in Firefox, as well, to over-ride. Then check in current default browser, to ensure it's disabled there. Reboot.

mrgeek, Jul 6, 2017
  6. Airider Win User
    Tried System Restore 2x, continually re-setting in Firefox options many other things. Finally noticed in the default apps selection Firefox was there twice, clicked on one (as I had today done umpteen times!) .... and this time Firefox & Win10 made friends again.

Done/FIXED (so far, at least I now know it's fixable)

Airider, Jul 6, 2017
  7. Yep. This happened to me. I noticed two Firefox app selections. I "fixed" mine by selecting a different browser, and then tried again, and only one Firefox was there allowing me to set it as default. Don't know why it created two Firefox selections to begin with.

Bobby Phoenix, Jul 7, 2017
  8. Airider Win User

More clues

The issue showed up again and was solved again and I think I know the cause: I am using Classic Shell so WinX has some things stored in several places, for ex. Documents, User Documents, etc, (I am the only Admin.). One clue: Firefox is on the Taskbar and also on Desktop ... but a different version, perhaps from Firefox update or whatever (WinX gets easily confused with so many possibilities apparently).

Since Firefox was again NOT Default only on the only similar-seeming version on Desktop (no prob w/ the version on the Taskbar) I had to try different internal (to WinX/ Classic Shell, etc.) versions of Firefox to place on Desktop, dragging from Start Menu and other places.

THAT worked on the Firefox "versions" in both the Taskbar AND Desktop even though the Default App drop-down still shows TWO Firefox choices!

Airider, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 now decided to not let me use Firefox anymore as default - Similar Threads - decided let Firefox

2. Minecraft wont let me play anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft wont let me play anymore: I've had minecraft for years and have played it thousands of times but recently it wont let me play at all and is telling me to purchase it again even though ive already bought it, i bought the game when i first got my xbox and have never had issues like this, it wont let me...
  3. New Laptop won't let me set firefox as default

in Windows 10 Customization
    New Laptop won't let me set firefox as default: Hi,I have just bought a new Dell Laptop running Windows 10 and it will not allow me to set anything but Edge as my default browser. I have approached this from the request when i open the alternative browser and via Set defau;lts by app, but when i do these things either...
  4. Let Me Decide for Each File is Missing in win 10 !?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Let Me Decide for Each File is Missing in win 10 !?: I am trying to copy files with the same name into the same folder in Windows 10, but I can not find the the third optionLet Me Decide for Each File which allow me to"keep both files". thanks a lot ,,...
  5. Windows doesn't let me open Firefox

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows doesn't let me open Firefox: Usually, this may be because Windows is blocking the program but this is something completely different. Windows tells me that I need to ask an adult's permission to open Firefox as if I was in a Microsoft Family group. This happens with no other application. Just Firefox....
  6. had microsoft, now it wont let me use it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    had microsoft, now it wont let me use it: I bought Microsoft word to go with my laptop. It was still the time where you bought the box with downloading instructions. However since the new update I haven't been able to write in my word. Why is it not letting me use microsoft when I already paid for it? is there...
  7. win 10 won't let me install firefox as default app

in Windows 10 Customization
    win 10 won't let me install firefox as default app: win 10 won't let me install firefox as default app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-wont-let-me-install-firefox-as-default-app/f9aca82f-ef24-4ba5-8218-44ec28735046
  8. Windows 10 used to let me log in using facial recognition but now it doesn't work.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 used to let me log in using facial recognition but now it doesn't work.: When I got this computer it used to log me in using facial recognition but it has stopped working. Now it looks for me but never succeeds. My camera is working fine. Thoughts?...
  9. windows 10 photos will not let me change default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 photos will not let me change default: Hi In windows 10, Windows app “photos” will not allow me to change the default to another media viewer like VLC or Windows media player (my preference). It will only let me change to an editing program like Photo elements, or Paint. I have removed Photo from windows but then...
  10. windows 10 photos will not let me change default

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 photos will not let me change default: Hi In windows 10, Windows app “photos” will not allow me to change the default to another media viewer like VLC or Windows media player (my preference). It will only let me change to an editing program like Photo elements, or Paint. I have removed Photo from windows but then...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 and MS Edge wont let me use Firefox as my browser

2. windows 10 wont let me use fire fox