Windows 10: Windows 10 ok at first then issues appear

Discus and support Windows 10 ok at first then issues appear in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro, version 1709 Everything OK from bootup for several minutes/an hour or two/perhaps all day, then: Firefox browser won't start. Chrome... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mpeill, Mar 13, 2018.

1. mpeill Win User

Windows 10 ok at first then issues appear

Windows 10 Pro, version 1709
    Everything OK from bootup for several minutes/an hour or two/perhaps all day, then:
    Firefox browser won't start.
    Chrome browser won't start.
    Edge browser will start, but won't accept any keyboard input into any fields.
    Other applications run but are very sluggish.
    Starting task manager, both firefox and chrome are shown as running processes even though they haven't displayed on screen.
    CPU load about 10%, memory usage about 4Gb of the installed 8Gb.
    Any application that is minimised on the task bar now has a dormant icon which does nothing if clicked.
    Clicking the start button once does nothing, but then clicking a second time opens up the tiles menu.
    In task manager, selecting Windows Explorer process and restarting this clears the screen to black, apart from the task manager window which still shows.
    Nothing further can be done apart from restarting the computer. All is then well again, symptoms gone for several minutes/an hour or two/all day, then back to square one, all the above.
    Ran Malwarebytes scan which showed no problems.
    Ran full scan with Windows Defender, no problems found.
    Ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth from an elevated command prompt.
    Ran sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt. No issues reported.

Help! (please)

:)

mpeill, Mar 13, 2018
  2. gMemog92 Win User

Ok if know one wants to help me then can you at least answer this question?

Is a Gateway GT5670 even compatible? Most of the drivers are not supported on W10.

Right now i am running it and runs ok, but i start getting blue screens. This is not my computer this is my dads and i have backed up his info. I am just having bsods constantly every day. Should i just install W7?

gMemog92, Mar 13, 2018
  3. gMemog92 Win User
    Ok if know one wants to help me then can you at least answer this question?

Ah ok ... Edit: Got it working. Had to update my reply a little late. I got my dads computer working with Windows 10 32 bit. For some reason i was installing the 64 bit without realizing. The computer can't handle 64 bit so it was getting BSODS constatly.

I've been running the 32 bit Windows 10 for a year going two. I also had to installed a 4GB USB flash drive to run readyboost. My dads computer is very awfully low in RAM. It only has 2GB. So running readyboost boosted performance.

gMemog92, Mar 13, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Sounds both vexing and frustrating. When mysterious weirdness strikes my Win10 systems -- as it occasionally has, and probably will do again in the future -- if I can't readily diagnose and fix the problems, I usually try what Brink calls a "repair install" by performing what he also calls an "In-place Upgrade" of Windows 10. There's a peachy TenForums tutorial on this that he wrote called "Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade." You probably want to give it a try.
    HTH, and sorry for your troubles,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 13, 2018
  5. zbook New Member
    If the above works you are set. An additional option is to open the computers windows advanced troubleshooting menu > view available system restore points that predate the computer problems.

zbook, Mar 13, 2018
  6. mpeill Win User
    I would have got to the point of doing a clean install, but have one particular application that cost me approx. $1000 that is licenced to the current build, and the last thing I want to do is loose that app installation.
    Can you confirm that this In-place upgrade would preserve my apps?
    Or anything else to try first......

mpeill, Mar 13, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
    Please read the link that EdTittel posted. All applications should be preserved.

zbook, Mar 13, 2018
  8. EdTittel Win User

Just to confirm, given your entirely justifiable concern about keeping an expensive app around. The in-place upgrade repair install leaves all applications and most user settings untouched, unchanged, and still available. Your application should still be usuable after trying this fix. And if I could've thought of something else to try first, I would most definitely have shared that with you already.
    May you have a positive and workable outcome, whatever repairs you may try!
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 13, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    It says so in the tutorial...
    You could first try sfc /scannow then Dism's 'retorehealth' - tutorials on those too...

Run SFC Command in Windows 10
    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

Edit: I see you've already tried those.

But the very first thing to do is make an image of the current system so you can restore it should anything go wrong. Macrium Reflect (free) is often recommended for that.

10. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks for chiming in, Bree. It's always a good idea to make a backup before attempting repairs, especially those that involve a reboot (as the upgrade repair install involves several during the installation process, it's merely prudent to make an image backup of any system with such an install in its immediate future).
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 13, 2018
  11. mpeill Win User
    I have already run the DISM and SFC without indicating any problem, so will have a go at the in-please upgrade. I'll take an image backup first with Acronis, then attempt the upgrade. All that will now be tomorrow after a good night's sleep any heart breakfast....I'm gonna need it!

mpeill, Mar 13, 2018
  12. mpeill Win User
    in-place that is, a typo..

mpeill, Mar 13, 2018
  13. Bree New Member

Good to know you already make image backups. I've done repair installs a few times now, no issues to report. Sleep on it, and good luck for the morning.

14. zbook New Member
    When you perform the in place upgrade repair make sure that you do not click install as that is the method for a clean install.
    The in place upgrade repair is performed using file explorer and clicking on the iso and launching setup or setup.exe.

zbook, Mar 13, 2018
  15. mpeill Win User
    Oh dear, loks like my thoughts have to turn to hardware. I started an image backup by booting from an Acronis bootable CD. The image creation succeeded but hung while verifying. I then tired again, and this time image creation hung part way through.
    So, I can't be sure whether it's a motherboard, memory, or SSD failure, but would seem to rule out corruption of Windows 10 files.

mpeill, Mar 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 ok at first then issues appear - Similar Threads - issues appear

2. Touch keyboard and handwriting panel does not appear even though it's running tablet issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touch keyboard and handwriting panel does not appear even though it's running tablet issue: I have a Windows 10 tablet, where the Touch keyboard and handwriting panel service does not show up, even though it is running. The only way to fix this issue is to restart the device. However after a couple of restarts it randomly stops appearing. Things I already tried...
  3. Touch keyboard and handwriting panel does not appear even though it's running tablet issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touch keyboard and handwriting panel does not appear even though it's running tablet issue: I have a Windows 10 tablet, where the Touch keyboard and handwriting panel service does not show up, even though it is running. The only way to fix this issue is to restart the device. However after a couple of restarts it randomly stops appearing. Things I already tried...
  4. Audio driver issue on windows 11 devices appearing and disappearing repeatedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio driver issue on windows 11 devices appearing and disappearing repeatedly: Hey.I own a Windows 11 Pro license, and for some reason, about 2 months after the windows 11 update I got an audio driver issue.Every device that I plug in my PC just starts appearing and disappearing, regardless of what type is it headphones, audio interface, etc.. or what...
  5. Audio driver issue on windows 11 devices appearing and disappearing repeatedly

Audio driver issue on windows 11 devices appearing and disappearing repeatedly: Hey.I own a Windows 11 Pro license, and for some reason, about 2 months after the windows 11 update I got an audio driver issue.Every device that I plug in my PC just starts appearing and disappearing, regardless of what type is it headphones, audio interface, etc.. or what...
  6. WEIRD GRAPHICS ISSUES APPEARING OCCASIONALLY, IS IT GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER ISSUE OR IS IT...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WEIRD GRAPHICS ISSUES APPEARING OCCASIONALLY, IS IT GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER ISSUE OR IS IT...: Could somebody please explain why this weird graphics occasionally happens, it appears occasionally for few seconds and then gone, and then returns later but irregularly. I have read that it might be graphics card driver issue, but I do ask if it might be Windows 11 related...
  7. WEIRD GRAPHICS ISSUES APPEARING OCCASIONALLY, IS IT GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER ISSUE OR IS IT...

WEIRD GRAPHICS ISSUES APPEARING OCCASIONALLY, IS IT GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER ISSUE OR IS IT...: Could somebody please explain why this weird graphics occasionally happens, it appears occasionally for few seconds and then gone, and then returns later but irregularly. I have read that it might be graphics card driver issue, but I do ask if it might be Windows 11 related...
  8. Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results: Dear Microsoft Community,I am facing a perplexing issue on my Windows 11 Pro system. Several Microsoft Store applications, such as WhatsApp, Calculator, and Camera, are not appearing in Windows Search results. Oddly, this problem extends beyond Microsoft Store apps;...
  9. Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results

Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results: Dear Microsoft Community,I am facing a perplexing issue on my Windows 11 Pro system. Several Microsoft Store applications, such as WhatsApp, Calculator, and Camera, are not appearing in Windows Search results. Oddly, this problem extends beyond Microsoft Store apps;...
  10. Computer Shuts down randomly while gaming, appears to be a RAM issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Shuts down randomly while gaming, appears to be a RAM issue: My computer has been black screening frequently while playing video games. I originally thought it was a thermal issue because most of the time the computer display simply goes black, the sound continues to work for a moment and the fans begin running at a high speed....