Windows 10: Windows 10 on SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 on SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All, Not sure if this has already been asked, but I'm waiting for my upgrade to my installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. It's running on an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dumfy, Jul 31, 2015.

1. dumfy Win User

Windows 10 on SSD

Hi All,

Not sure if this has already been asked, but I'm waiting for my upgrade to my installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

It's running on an SSD as opposed to a hard drive and due to space limitations of the SSD, all my libraries for docs, pictures, music etc are located and set up on a secondary standard hard drive.

My questions are . .

When the upgrade takes place, will I need to set up the library paths again, or will everything stay in place with upgrade?

Normally I find it's better to do a clean install of an OS rather than an upgrade. Is this still the case?

Can I chose when to upgrade? I'd rather download Win 10 and wait awhile before installing. Is this possible?

Many thanks for the help.

:)

dumfy, Jul 31, 2015

2. Clone from SSD to SSD and HDD to SSD on Windows 10

Hello,

This is a two part question, I am currently running Windows 10, I wish to put a new SSD in my computer going from a 128gb to 240gb(minimum) I am looking for the best way to do this with Windows 10.

I then wish to put the old SSD into my girlfriends PC to help hers speed up. They are both running Windows 10 and I don't know if windows 10 has built in function or whether there's easy to use software for this.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

ScottCowie, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Clone from SSD to SSD and HDD to SSD on Windows 10

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to post your query at Microsoft® TechNet Forums:

Technet forums - Windows 10 IT Pro

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Lomai Win User

Windows 10 on SSD

Lomai, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Lomai Win User
    Have a look at this tutorial by Kari:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

And the following for the Clean Install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Lomai, Jul 31, 2015
  6. dumfy Win User
    Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome and the info. Much appreciated.

I've read through the links and am pretty confident I understand what to do when the time comes. It has thrown up another question though . . .

I would much rather do a clean install than upgrade, but am I right in thinking that I first need to upgrade and then do a clean install? I read on the Microsoft site that to do a clean install of Windows 10 I'll need a Windows 10 product key which I'd need to purchase?

Many thanks

dumfy, Aug 2, 2015
  7. swarfega Win User
    Yes, you will need to upgrade first, then you can do clean install. Remember to back up! If clean install asks for key, skip it, you can check once install is done to see if its properly accepted the key.

The reason for doing the upgrade first is so that the key can be associated with your copy of windows.

swarfega, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 on SSD

1. Windows 10 on SSD - Similar Threads - SSD

2. Windows 11 Freezes with a new computer Same C Drive SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Freezes with a new computer Same C Drive SSD: Hi there, I was having computer freezes on my previous Windows 11 computer, so I upgraded everything except for the C Drive SSD and Video Card NVIDIA 4090. What is weird is that I can play some games and use windows at times with no issues but some instances it freezes...
  3. Windows 11 Freezes with a new computer Same C Drive SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Freezes with a new computer Same C Drive SSD: Hi there, I was having computer freezes on my previous Windows 11 computer, so I upgraded everything except for the C Drive SSD and Video Card NVIDIA 4090. What is weird is that I can play some games and use windows at times with no issues but some instances it freezes...
  4. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...
  5. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...
  6. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  8. Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer

Slow thumbnail loading on SSD with Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  9. Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...
  10. Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer

Slow thumbnail loading in SSD on Windows Explorer: I have 4 drives. 1xKingston KC600, 1x970 Evo Plus and, 1x2TB HDD Seagate and a new 2TB PNY CS900 I just swapped my old HDD for. I tested this new SSD in some scenarios. Crystaldiskmark, which showed normal results 550mb/s read and 500mbs write and in loading Cyberpunk 2077,...