Windows 10: Windows 10 on VirtualBox

Discus and support Windows 10 on VirtualBox in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have installed my retail copy of Windows 10 on my main desktop. But before I did this I did the upgrade from Windows 8.1 and then converted the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by swarfega, Aug 27, 2015.

1. swarfega Win User

Windows 10 on VirtualBox

I have installed my retail copy of Windows 10 on my main desktop. But before I did this I did the upgrade from Windows 8.1 and then converted the install.esd file into an iso.

How can I activate this virtualbox copy? I thought it would have accepted the key from Windows 8.1?

:)

swarfega, Aug 27, 2015
  2. DXRID Win User

Check your PC - indicates Windows 10 can't be installed because of VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8

Those links do not address the reported issue - they apply only to actual hardware, not to VirtualBox. The problem is that the Windows 10 compatibility appraiser does not recognize the VirtualBox display adapter as being compatible with Windows 10. In
    fact, it is compatible - numerous people are running Windows 10 Technical Preview in VirtualBox using that configuration. Microsoft needs to update the appraiser application to recognize that the VirtualBox display adapter actually is compatible with Windows
    10. For reference, VirtualBox reports its display adapter to Windows as follows:

Manufacturer: InnoTek Systemberatung

Model: VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8

Device ID: 80EE-BEEF

Subvendor: 0000

Driver Version: 4.3.28.0

Until Microsoft updates the Compatibility Appraiser to recognize this device as being compatible with Windows 10, there is nothing a user can do to reserve Windows 10 for a Windows system running in VirtualBox. Users will be able to install Windows 10 after
    it is released, but they won't be able to reserve it in advance unless Microsoft adds the above adapter to its list of Windows 10 compatible devices.

DXRID, Aug 27, 2015
  3. vasosnikitaras, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 on VirtualBox

Hello Nick,

I'm afraid that the VM is considered a separate PC, and is why the registered activation of the free Windows 10 for your main desktop was not used to activate the VM. *Sad

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  5. swarfega Win User
    Anything I can do? I seem to remember back in Windows 7 you could extend the unactivated period.

swarfega, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You could try to activate by phone, but I'm not sure how that works without a product key.

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  7. swarfega Win User
    If I can get through to an actual person perhaps I can explain the situation.

swarfega, Aug 27, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 on VirtualBox

That part might be more fun.

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    If you have an old Technical Preview ESD version like 10074*, in the sources folder it contains a pid.txt file, which you can edit to remove the installation code and then enter the proper activation code: 6P99N-YF42M-TPGBG-9VMJP-YKHCF

It activates on installation, the several times I have tried it, then upgrade directly using the Media Creation Tool etc.

* download esd:
    Code: http://b1.download.windowsupdate.co...66F18800CFAC91EF0C329DF10F0299B4D.esd[/quote] You don't need an MSA for this, just a local account.

Fafhrd, Aug 27, 2015
  10. swarfega Win User
    Thanks for the idea but the reason why I'm doing this is to test out the latest insider builds.

swarfega, Aug 27, 2015
  11. lx07 Win User
    I installed 10120 in VBox a couple of days ago and activated it with the generic key. I then upgraded to 10240 RTM and is was fully activated with no expiry.

I then joined the insider preview and upgraded to 10525 and then 10528. After 10240 you get an expiry of June 15 next year.

My VBox also works fine when running on OSX host - not just a valid Windows 10 host (which I have). I've also tested Hyper-V and VMWare and all get activated OK if you upgrade from 10120 with no underlying OS.

Quite possibly they will get turned off at some point but for testing new builds it works fine. I'm sure another build will turn up before next June anyway.

12. Fafhrd Win User
    Once you have upgraded to the activated RTM, you can set your preference to receive insider builds, fast or slow ring, and sign in with a MSA. Then you should be able to join in with the latest insider builds, starting with the upgrade to 10532. Otherwise you will need an activated win7 or 8 on your VM to upgrade from.

It would be best to take a snapshot of the RTM before joining insider, so you can go back to scratch if something inevitably fails.

Fafhrd, Aug 27, 2015
  13. lx07 Win User

Windows 10 on VirtualBox

I know that is the theory but it not what happens to me. If I make clean install of a new VM it is automatically activated. Because my underlying system is activated? Who knows.

14. Fafhrd Win User
    As you say, who knows. Is it because that instance of a Virtualization host has already had an activated Win 10, and is therefore registered with Microsoft for Win 10 activation?
    Perhaps windows 10 is not yet enforcing this:
    - because users are, for the present, or perhaps for the month after installation, considered as "Insiders", or as running Windows 10 as trial software?

Fafhrd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 on VirtualBox

1. Windows 10 on VirtualBox - Similar Threads - VirtualBox

2. Can't Uninstall VirtualBox 6.1.5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Uninstall VirtualBox 6.1.5: This is a Screenshot of the Error:I can't seem to find the "'r18kd76rlxc34qi901lhjdp5.msi'" file, which is causing this error. Also I check the "VirtualBox" folder, it doesn't contain the "uninstall.exe" file. I checked around for solutions followed this link :...
  3. Can't Uninstall VirtualBox 6.1.5

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Uninstall VirtualBox 6.1.5: This is a Screenshot of the Error:I can't seem to find the "'r18kd76rlxc34qi901lhjdp5.msi'" file, which is causing this error. Also I check the "VirtualBox" folder, it doesn't contain the "uninstall.exe" file. I checked around for solutions followed this link :...
  4. Unable to install VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver: I am Unable to install VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver. I keep getting the error :Could not add the requested feature. the error is: The specified module could not be found.Can someone help me in resolving the issue as I am unable to connect my virtual boxes to the...
  5. Unable to install VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver

Unable to install VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver: I am Unable to install VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver. I keep getting the error :Could not add the requested feature. the error is: The specified module could not be found.Can someone help me in resolving the issue as I am unable to connect my virtual boxes to the...
  6. How to install Kali Linux in VirtualBox

in Windows 10 News
    How to install Kali Linux in VirtualBox: [IMG]Are you interested in exploring the world of cybersecurity? Installing Kali Linux in VirtualBox is a fundamental step that offers a convenient and safe environment to do so. It is a specialized Linux distribution designed for digital forensics, penetration testing, and...
  7. Convert a VirtualBox Fixed Disk to a Dynamic or vice versa

in Windows 10 News
    Convert a VirtualBox Fixed Disk to a Dynamic or vice versa: [IMG]When creating a virtual machine, you are asked to select a disk type, you can either go for Fixed Disk or Dynamic Disk. What if you went for a Fixed Disk and later on realized that you need a dynamic one, or vice-versa? Well! You can convert one into another. In this...
  8. How to increase Disk size in VirtualBox [Guide]

in Windows 10 News
    How to increase Disk size in VirtualBox [Guide]: [IMG]How often have we encountered a situation where the predefined disk size lacks space to accommodate more data? If you require more space on your virtual machine’s hard disk at a later stage, you will have to expand the virtual hard disk and partition. In this post, we...
  9. Unable to install Guest Additions in VirtualBox

in Windows 10 News
    Unable to install Guest Additions in VirtualBox: [ATTACH]It may happen that you are unable to install Guest Additions to a virtual machine in Oracle VirtualBox. When we click on Devices > Install Guest Additions CD Image, it does nothing but throw an error as follows: VirtualBox – Error: Unable to insert the virtual optical...
  10. Update Issues Relating to VBox VirtualBox

Update Issues Relating to VBox VirtualBox: I currently am using an HP ELITEX2 with a processor of "IntelR CoreTM M-5Y71 CPU @ 1.20 GHz 1.40 GHz" I have 8 GB ram, 7.88 GB is usable, my system type is "64-bit operating system, x64-based processor". I am using Windows 10 Pro version 1909. I am facing a difficulty in...