Windows 10: Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive

Discus and support Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Good Day everyone, This is driving me crazy. I have an old,but new to me HP PC. I decided to buy a 3TB drive to add as a secondary drive. Just my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EBNUNO, May 10, 2016.

1. EBNUNO Win User

Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive

Good Day everyone,

This is driving me crazy. I have an old,but new to me HP PC. I decided to buy a 3TB drive to add as a secondary drive. Just my luck only 746gb show. I tried everything but all i can find on google is for intel chipsets. When attempting to run the driver it says my platform is not supported. I can not find any drivers for my pc to fix the issue.

Please help.
    Thank you

:)

EBNUNO, May 10, 2016

2. Max disk size for Windows 10

I know this doesn't answer your question about Windows 10, because I do not know.

However, the problem you're running into with your Windows 7 machine, and the 2TB limit, and the "wasted" 1TB on your 3TB drive.

I had this problem when I cloned a 2TB drive to a 3TB drive, and found 2TB (2047.9GB actual) in use, and 1TB wasted (746.52 GB actual) .

My HD was Seagate and the solution was Seagate's Disc Wizard. Information about this can be found at: Support for Disk Drives Beyond 2.2 TeraBytes (TB) and 4K Advanced Format Sectors | Seagate Support

With a youtube video at:

The Disc Wizard didn't allow me to have a 3TB partition, but did allow my computer to access the 746GB as another drive letter.

If you have another manufacturer for your hard drive, perhaps they have a similar hard drive manager.

Dan - 80010, May 10, 2016
  3. Windows 10 deleted partition - What I found out

I tired to update from Windows 10 build 10586 to Windows 10 build 14393 a few weeks ago and my HDD(a 3TB HDD) got wiped. Windows10 wiped the partition. Investigating what happened I found out the 2TB of a 3TB HDD was gone. I have not been able to find the
    2TB partition or recovery any file. The 3TB HDD only showed a 100MB recovery drive and 786GB of unallocated space because the HDD started out as a Windows 7 HDD. Using Mini Tool Partition Wizard I discovered 7 boot partitions 3MB in size, a 250 GB partition,
    and a 100 MB partition, all which were not visible using Drive Management under Windows 10. I attached this 3TB HDD using an enclosure to another Windows 10 computer. Basically Windows 10 turned this 3TB HDD to a 746GB HDD. The 2TB partition is not recoverable.
    So Windows 10 cost my not only the software I lost but 2TB of HDD space. Now I have to add that I have a Laptop and another computer that started out as Windows 7 that I have very little or no problem with Windows 10 or the updates but neither of these computer
    contain alot of additional software like the one Windows 10 killed the HDD on. I turned the unallocated drive to a logical drive and assigned it a letter and then it showed 273 GB of used space. I then looked a this partition using the Mini Tool software and
    it showed files, so I turned the logical drive into a primary where I was able to check the files in windows explorer. My point is I was able to recover files. This is what happened to me.

MCpbll_725, May 10, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

Two things: 1. you must use GPT format for HDD larger then 2 TB. 2. there are mobo/cpu limitations to the size of a HDD that can be used.

Depending on how old the PC is, it may just be able to use a 1 TB drive.

As a work around to use your new 3TB HDD, you could get an enclosure and install the HDD in that and then connect it to the PC via USB cable....aka an external HDD setup.

Plankton, May 10, 2016
  5. Dadicator Win User
    Did you install 32bit or 64bit OS --- www.PCIDatabase.com -- for drivers or intel driver downloads => Plankton is also correct <= Go to the device manager =>Select "System" => Right Click => Select "Properties" => Select "Details" TAB => Select "Hardware ids" => Look at info: i.e. "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E10&SUBSYS_05451028&REV_C4" ==> 8086 after VEN is the vendor code <==> 1E10 after DEV is the device code. USE this info at www.PCIDatabase.com to find the latest drivers for that device.
    Some hardware is just not Supported. It might be a driver issue or a hardware issue. This is a Tool for finding the latest Drivers.

This is generic info that can be used to find out info on the your devices in your system and what the Vendor and the Device codes are. You will be looking "SYSTEM DEVICES" and "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" drop down because that is where the Chipset info will be. most these days are Intel, but there are others.

Dadicator, May 10, 2016
  6. EBNUNO Win User
    i installed 64 bit windows 10. I am sorry i cant find what you are asking me look for.

I go to device manager but there is no system to select. Is it the IDE ATA?

EBNUNO, May 10, 2016
  7. EBNUNO Win User
    Oh ok looks like its nvidia nforce

EBNUNO, May 10, 2016
  8. Dadicator Win User

EBNUNO -- Then when you go to the "Device Manager" => "System Devices" & "IDE ATA/ATAPI"=> Nvidia Nforce Controller => right click open "Properties" => Select "Details" TAB => in the Dropdown Select "Hardware ids" --

Read Post #3 The i.e. is a SAMPLE of what you will see. => For every Driver there will be a VEN(Vendor) & DEV(Device) "Hardware ids" Use this to find the latest drivers available.

Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive [​IMG]

Dadicator, May 10, 2016
  9. Mystere Win User
    nforce is a very old chipset, and may not support drives larger than 2TB.

Mystere, May 10, 2016
  10. EBNUNO Win User
    Is there anyway to partition the drive into 3 1tb partitions or this wouldn't make a difference?

EBNUNO, May 10, 2016
  11. EBNUNO Win User
    Doesnt look like windows supports it. I created a live disk with ubuntu and used gparted to partition the drives into 3 1TB partitions.
    In Linux i am able to access the drives and write to all of them. But in windows i see the ntfs drives but i can only access the first partition.

Sucks. Looks like i might have to go the linux route.
    =(

EBNUNO, May 10, 2016
  12. Linux sees that drive & all partitions - your hardware seems to support the drive.

A Windows driver might solve this for you.

Please follow this tutorial to provide the current operating environment of your machine.
    Speccy - Publish Snapshot of your System Specs

Thanks

Slartybart, May 10, 2016
  13. EBNUNO Win User

EBNUNO, May 11, 2016
  14. Don't take any action yet ... I need confirmation from other members.

What I found in Speccy:

WD drive is SATA gen3 (6.0Gb/s) - Speccy also only sees what Windows sees (746 GB)

Mother board: PEGATRON CORPORATION VIOLET6 (CPU 1)
    Pegatron m2n78-la (HP)

Chipset: Nvidia n720a rev
    NFORCE DRIVER VERSION 15.56 (WHQL)
    Release Date: 2011.5.2
    Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit
    *Sad The nForce driver is quite old.

GPU: GEforce 9100
    NVIDIA GeForce 9100
    GPU: C77/C78
    Device ID: 10DE-0847
    Revision: A3
    Subvendor: HP (103C)
    Driver version: 9.18.13.4195
    BIOS Version: 62.77.2f.00.06
    There are a few reasons why I want comments from other members.
    1) I don't trust my focus on such things at this time. I might have missed something.
    2) The nForce supported products lists 720a / 8100 - your Speccy identified the components as 720a /9100
    - this might be he same chip with a different product # (8100 AMD bd v 9100 Intel bd) but I can't be certain
    3) Speccy doesn't seem to let me compare versions (A2/A3 versus what Nvidia provides)

Sometimes a System Information report (WinKey+R msinfo32) provides data that is more easily compared ... but it alos contains sensitive info (OS license key)
    Please do NOT publish that report on a public forum. If you see version numbers comparable to the Nvidia versio, please post only that version inofrmation.

Sit tight for a while and let other members chew on what I posted.

Please update your system specs with the exact model of your machine it should be identified on the case or on a sticker) Take a look at other members specs to get an idea of what helps (hopefully you'll pick a member who has filled in their specs) *Wink

Slartybart, May 11, 2016
  15. EBNUNO Win User
    Ok i found my pc it looks like its a HP Desktop PC Pavilion P6320Y(AY748AAR)

HP Desktop PC Pavilion P6320Y(AY748AAR) Phenom II X4 820 (2.80 GHz) 8 GB DDR3 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce 9100 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Newegg.com

this is what i received on the msinfo32. I hope this is enough:

Name NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
    Manufacturer NVIDIA Corporation
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AD4&SUBSYS_2A9E103C&REV_A2\3&267A616A&0&48
    I/O Port 0x0000C480-0x0000C487
    I/O Port 0x0000C400-0x0000C403
    I/O Port 0x0000C080-0x0000C087
    I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000C003
    I/O Port 0x0000BC00-0x0000BC0F
    Memory Address 0xFCE76000-0xFCE77FFF
    IRQ Channel IRQ 21
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvstor64.sys (11.1.0.33, 236.03 KB (241,696 bytes), 8/4/2009 1:45 PM)

EBNUNO, May 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive - Similar Threads - sees 746gb 3tb

2. External 3TB Drive broken?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External 3TB Drive broken?: Yesterday I received an external 3TB drive from a friend of mine. It worked perfectly after I formatted it. Just this morning, after restarting my computer( for an update), it wouldn't open. Whenever I try to do anything with it, it gives me this error. As I said, it worked...
  3. New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB: I bought the Seagate barracuda 3TB and it shows as 746GB on my another computer with Windows Vista SP2 32-bit in GPT mode. I have asked this problem at Seagate forum and the one guy who replied didn't know how to solve it. I am using the 3TB Seagate drive in my Rosewill...
  4. New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB

in Windows 10 Support
    New 3TB Drive Only Shows 746GB: I bought the Seagate barracuda 3TB and it shows as 746GB on my another computer with Windows Vista SP2 32-bit in GPT mode. I have asked this problem at Seagate forum and the one guy who replied didn't know how to solve it. I am using the 3TB Seagate drive in my Rosewill...
  5. 3tb drive works in win7, win 10 no.

3tb drive works in win7, win 10 no.: I have this drive working fine in win7 on the same PC. I formatted it as GPT, and win7 sees the entire 3tb space and is usable. I copied many gb of video files onto the drive. I boot win10 with this drive, it does not appear in file manager. disk management shows the...
  6. New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB

New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB: Hi, I recently acquired a second-hand PC that had everything working fine but lacked a hard drive. I bought a 3TB HDD and installed it. Afterwards, I installed Windows 7 (because I had a key for it), and then I upgraded to Windows 10 because I prefer it. I noticed as...
  7. 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix?

3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated how can i fix?: ok i got a 3tb hard drive that has 746gb unallocated and computer management wont let me do nothing with it. i dont care what i got to do with this drive i just want access to the full size of the drive. can someone please help me out on how i might get this done? 104457
  8. Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive

Windows 10 only sees 746gb on 3tb drive: Good Day everyone, This is driving me crazy. I have an old,but new to me HP PC. I decided to buy a 3TB 49877
  9. Why is only 2TB of my new 3TB drive showing up ?

Why is only 2TB of my new 3TB drive showing up ?: I bought a 3 TB drive today, to replace my, existing 1 TB drive which was 95% full. This is my "D" drive and is data only, no OS on it. Its actually all my WEB server data, for IIS. My plan was to use Paragon Hard Disk manager and clone my existing 1 TB, D drive to the new...
  10. Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive: I recently purchased a internal 3.5 inch SATA Seagate 3TB Hard Drive from Amazon as it caught my eye because it was on sale. *chuckle I'm trying to install Windows 10 64 bit, and my problem is that my desktop, a Dell OptiPlex 3010, is only seeing 2.7 TB (2,794GB under...