Windows 10: Windows 10 opens folder at boot; msconfig stuck at selective startup

Discus and support Windows 10 opens folder at boot; msconfig stuck at selective startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; 1. If I try to select normal startup in msconfig.exe, it doesn't stick; always reverts to selective startup. 2. When I boot to the Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by djbaxter, Oct 5, 2015.

1. djbaxter Win User

Windows 10 opens folder at boot; msconfig stuck at selective startup

1. If I try to select normal startup in msconfig.exe, it doesn't stick; always reverts to selective startup.

2. When I boot to the Windows 10 desktop, it always opens a Windows Explorer window at /windows/system/ which shows only a Speech folder in the right panel.

3. Checking my BootManager using BCDEdit, I see this but I don't understand what the entries mean or whether any of them are connected to the problems 1 and/or 2:

Code: C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier {bootmgr} device partition=C: description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit {globalsettings} default {current} resumeobject {657a150b-658d-11e5-99b6-8e17c296bef1} displayorder {current} toolsdisplayorder {memdiag} timeout 30 Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier {current} device partition=C: path \Windows\system32\winload.exe description Windows 10 locale en-US inherit {bootloadersettings} recoverysequence {6c229bec-6586-11e5-9bc2-4487fc95d11b} recoveryenabled Yes allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075 osdevice partition=C: systemroot \Windows resumeobject {657a150b-658d-11e5-99b6-8e17c296bef1} nx OptIn bootmenupolicy Standard[/quote] Any help appreciated.

:)

djbaxter, Oct 5, 2015

2. msconfig stuck on selective startup

I didn't ask if your current problem has "anything to do with those threads," I asked if this new thread concerned
    the same computer as your previous threads?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Oct 5, 2015
  3. bluecew Win User
    msconfig stuck on selective startup

it is not malware

bluecew, Oct 5, 2015
  4. SoxmisUK Win User

Couldn't there be other possibilities why the folder could be opening on the Windows start? Check task scheduler, and for any other programs that could be responsible for that, get a copy of CCleaner and take a look at your programs launched on start.. Just a couple more ideas to chuck at you .. (Sorry..)

SoxmisUK, Oct 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 opens folder at boot; msconfig stuck at selective startup - Similar Threads - opens folder boot

2. after selecting Normal Startup in MSconfig PC boot failed with 0xc000000e and missing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after selecting Normal Startup in MSconfig PC boot failed with 0xc000000e and missing...: I just wanted to try Normal Startup and had no idea a Blue screen was waiting for me...My windows version I think is 21H2.I have got as far as a command prompt from the repair option with the repair media.bootrec /fixmbr is successfulbootrec /fixboot gives access deniedI have...
  3. after selecting Normal Startup in MSconfig PC boot failed with 0xc000000e and missing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    after selecting Normal Startup in MSconfig PC boot failed with 0xc000000e and missing...: I just wanted to try Normal Startup and had no idea a Blue screen was waiting for me...My windows version I think is 21H2.I have got as far as a command prompt from the repair option with the repair media.bootrec /fixmbr is successfulbootrec /fixboot gives access deniedI have...
  4. Windows 10 stuck in Selective Startup mode in MSCONFIG

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 stuck in Selective Startup mode in MSCONFIG: System Configuration Utility, popularly known as MSCONFIG, allows you to configure the startup behavior of Windows. It allows users to troubleshoot the load time, stability, and performance problems. It has been reported that Windows 10 gets stuck in Selective Startup, which...
  5. What is a Selective Startup? How to run selective startup using MSCONFIG in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    What is a Selective Startup? How to run selective startup using MSCONFIG in Windows 10: When Windows boots up, it loads up files along with it and also starts services and launches applications that are registered with it when the user logs into his account. At times, some rogue applications may cause a slow boot or make Windows stuck in the middle of the...
  6. Windows Keeps Selecting Selective Startup In MSconfig Rather Than Normal Startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Keeps Selecting Selective Startup In MSconfig Rather Than Normal Startup: why does windows keep selecting selective startup rather than normal startup, when it picks selective startup it stops me from being able to launch certain programs as it disables most of them submitted by /u/DGW04 [link] [comments]...
  7. Help with changes in MSCONFIG Selective Startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with changes in MSCONFIG Selective Startup: I went into MSCONFIG - changed to Selective Startup in System Configuration. Now I am trying to change back to Normal- the apply button wont highlight for use [IMG]...
  8. Stuck in Selective Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck in Selective Startup: (Moved from EightForums, where I posted in error.) I was instructed to use Selective Startup to get Quicken installed (didn't work), and now I can't get out! This is a laptop that has been stuck with the Microsoft account login (cannot fix it as other options are grayed...
  9. MSCONFIG/General/ Selective startup

in Windows 10 Support
    MSCONFIG/General/ Selective startup: I can't get my PC to do a normal start up. When I select normal start up in MSCONFIG and hit apply and boot it reverts to Selective start up. However everything appears to be working normally. I'm not sure if it is or if it is actually doing a Selective start up. Any ideas?...
  10. MSConfig & Selective Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    MSConfig & Selective Startup: So msconfig is driving me nuts as whenever i just click normal or diagonstic boot it reverts to selective startup. I had this issue in Windows 7 and i fixed it somehow. Any help? 9138