Windows 10: Windows 10 Parition Question

Discus and support Windows 10 Parition Question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All Preparing for the Windows 10 Fall Creators update, wondered if my Partitions are correct, added the SSD when I got the new system, that is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AMDMan2016, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Parition Question

Hi All

Preparing for the Windows 10 Fall Creators update, wondered if my Partitions are correct, added the SSD when I got the new system, that is now my boot drive, and Drive 0 is the original boot drive

If it's not right this is probably best time to correct it as I suppose I could of another clean install onto SSD for the Fall Creators update in a few days

:)

AMDMan2016, Oct 12, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Disk Parition Question

Hi Jagster559, Windows and indeed DiskPart is very limited when it comes to partitioning a drive . . .

Click the link below to download the Free version of AOMEI Partition Assistant. That is a great free tool which can do all the partitioning jobs Windows will refuse to do, quickly and safely . . .

https://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-m...

DaveM121, Oct 12, 2017
  3. Disk Parition Question

If you have only one drive, there's not much point partitioning it to keep the media files separate. You'll still lose everything if the drive develops an issue. Why make things more complex than necessary?

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Oct 12, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 Parition Question

Well, you have system partitions on two drives, 2xEFI, 2 x recovery. I'll guess (and you can find out) the recovery partition on disk 0 is the old one.

Windows 10 Parition Question [​IMG]

Here are mine for comparison. Note that's using Minitool Partition Wizard which shows the System Partition. (D. Management doesn't by design).

Please post a screenshot using that, with columns expanded to show all text clearly.

Your C: is designated Boot- that should be the EFI partition.

When you added the SSD did you clean install to it? Is it using AHCI protocol (better performance?)

I assume Disk 1 is your SSD.

dalchina, Oct 12, 2017
  5. Ok will do, one moment while I get Minitool Parition Wizard and will post another screenshot with that

AMDMan2016, Oct 12, 2017
  6. Disk 1 is SSD that is correct, did clean install, is AHCI for better Performance

Disk 0 is The storage drive

So leave alone or perform a second clean install when Fall Creators update iso is available? I do experience occasionally boot up freezes for some reason, usually after uninstall of a program, like Antivirus uninstall/reinstall to fix issues with Avast

Made the same mistake I think when I originally installed this SSD into my old system almost a year ago, guess if I have to do another clean install, I will, even if the drive dies sooner than it should due to writes, I got money saved for afford a replacement SSD in the future, so not too worried if I was totally broke then i'd be really worried

AMDMan2016, Oct 12, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, on your SSD I have questions about these differences:

Windows 10 Parition Question [​IMG]

And on your data disk there are 3 system partitions.

Here's what I'd try:
    1. Disconnect your data disk.
    2. Check your system boots from your SSD.
    3. Check you can then get into safe mode/command prompt - Advanced Startup options. (this uses your recovery partition).

If all is well, delete the unwanted system partitions on your data disk. The presence of extra system partitions can confuse Windows when upgrading.

I would also take the opportunity to make sure you have at least 500Mb of unallocated space on your SSD- why? 'cos the upgrade may create a new recovery partition.

Also make sure you have no unallocated space on your data disk, to ensure no system partitions can be created on it.

dalchina, Oct 12, 2017
  8. Windows 10 Parition Question

Will do, will work on that first thing in the morning, and print out the info to check, so I know for sure proper way to do things *Smile

AMDMan2016, Oct 12, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can also check which recovery partition is active by opening a Command Prompt (Admin) and running:

reagentc /info

After you delete the EFI System and Recovery partitions on drive 0, use a program like MiniTool Partition Wizard to expand the data partition in both directions to fill the drive.

NavyLCDR, Oct 13, 2017
  10. Ok Results from reagentc/info

Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
    Information:

Windows RE status: Enabled
    Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition1\Recovery\WindowsRE
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: eb817fee-9cb3-11e7-9857-8ab9483a562f
    Recovery image location:
    Recovery image index: 0
    Custom image location:
    Custom image index: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

Not sure which drive that is, might be the SSD, not sure lol or might be the Storage drive active lol--

Also think I'm too addicted to one game, and I rushed setting up the new system when I received it in September, and therefore didn't properly disconnect storage drive before doing the clean install onto the SSD, so my fault, and I guess simple way to solve all this mess is clean install once more, but with storage drive disconnected this time probably be best, or swap in my 2tb storage drive from old system, that is blank (blanked with dban), and leave it disconnected til clean install done, then connect it, and get my files setup on it.

AMDMan2016, Oct 13, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You active recovery partition is on the SSD. You can delete the recovery partition on Drive 0. I would say you also have 90% chance the computer is booting from the EFI system partition on the SSD and you can delete the EFI system partition on Drive 0 as well.

NavyLCDR, Oct 13, 2017
  12. Oh ok flew lol

that's a big relief

Ok Paritiions deleted on Storage drive, paritions extended for all the data, restarted system, booted fine!!, So think i'm all set for Fall Creators update now

Thank you so much for that info, and all that

*Reason Drive 0 and 1 Backwards is the Sata Data wire wouldn't reach the Ssd drive location from Drive 0 Plug inside case, in the future when I get a newer Storage drive that is 2tb or above, then will rearrange drives in case, and then should be perfectly fine* A lot of work to redo, but would be worth It in the future. Do have less than year old 2tb drive in old system that was given to me last year, despite it got outdated fast lol, but not sure I wanna switch the 2tb drive now, plus do the Fall Creators install at same time.

Unless I clone current 1tb drive with say Maricum onto External 1tb drive and boot up with rescue disk on old system and restore the Clone, then use Mini ParitionWizard to extend the partition to take the full drive later on.

(Or Simpler solution in the future before clean install in the way future, just swap where the wires connect, and SSD would become Drive 0 and storage drive would be Drive 1

AMDMan2016, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Parition Question

1. Windows 10 Parition Question - Similar Threads - Parition Question

2. Large amount of paritions, which ones am I free to delete?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Large amount of paritions, which ones am I free to delete?: Hi, Ive already downloaded and installed minitool partition wizard. If someone would be so kind as to help me fix my harddrives partition minefield. When i installed windows 10 i did it with both other drives installed as well, and, for me at least, that usually results in...
  3. Can someone help me with this , i cant delete my G parition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can someone help me with this , i cant delete my G parition: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/p3gztjchn6n61.png?width=1344&format=png&auto=webp&s=945c9af03aad25c889f21e7968913198e837a83f submitted by /u/mi_nha [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m5j9lm/can_someone_help_me_with_this_i_cant_delete_my_g/
  4. Large amount of paritions, which ones am I free to delete?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Large amount of paritions, which ones am I free to delete?: Hi, Ive already downloaded and installed minitool partition wizard. If someone would be so kind as to help me fix my harddrives partition minefield. When i installed windows 10 i did it with both other drives installed as well, and, for me at least, that usually results in...
  5. Screwed up Windows 10 paritions/booting after dual-boot attemp

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Screwed up Windows 10 paritions/booting after dual-boot attemp: I tried to install my first dual boot since high school and it didn't all go according to plan.. I backed up all my important files on another computer fortunately, but I can't boot into Windows anymore. What I tried to do: Install Ubuntu 20.10 on my 120GB-SSD Cut an...
  6. Always having problem with re-paritioning/formatting flashdisks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Always having problem with re-paritioning/formatting flashdisks: When i use flashdisk, i have always some complicated bizzare issues with re-formatting/partitioning. Flashdisk had 2 partitions. I reformatted the main, but i noticed there was left 10MB efi partition. So i wanted to delete it, so it doesn't cause issues. Currently, there is...
  7. how can i add sort by date modified by default to all folders and paritions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can i add sort by date modified by default to all folders and paritions: Hi, i always use date modified instead of date in all of my work e.g. when i try open a folder or upload a file or import a file to an app as u can see here i can't find date choose i have to enable it from this shown menu then right click and choose sort by date modified....
  8. Paritioning and Identifying Hard-Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Paritioning and Identifying Hard-Drive: My new ASUS GL703GE Laptop has two hard-drive. C Drive is an SSD and D Drive is a spinning disc drive. I know that the D Drive is formatted because I made a test folder on it and put a text file in that folder. I erased both. What is the best easiest tool for partitioning...
  9. Dual Boot System -- Windows Disk Disappears From UEFI After A Handful of Parition Switches

Dual Boot System -- Windows Disk Disappears From UEFI After A Handful of Parition Switches: I have two separate 2.5" SSDs. One runs Windows 10 and is the original partition intstalled on the PC. The other contains Clover Bootloader & MacOS. The issue I started having is that after I switch back and forth between MacOS and Windows 10 a few times, I'll have a bootup...
  10. Why does Windows install System Reserved parition into an unallocated drive?

Why does Windows install System Reserved parition into an unallocated drive?: Last night I decided to do a clean install of Windows since the 1909 update came out. My setup is: Samsung SSD (Boot Drive) WD m.2 SSD (Storage) WD HDD (Storage) I wanted to assign letters to the drive after installing Windows so I left both the m.2 and HDD unallocated....