Windows 10: Windows 10 partitions...

Discus and support Windows 10 partitions... in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My system has two drives with Windows OS 10 installed on them: [img] As the name indicates, one of them had been updated from Windows 7 while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Cr00zng, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Cr00zng Win User

Windows 10 partitions...

My system has two drives with Windows OS 10 installed on them:

Windows 10 partitions... [​IMG]

As the name indicates, one of them had been updated from Windows 7 while the other from Windows 8.1. This is not a dual-boot managed by Windows, instead, it is managed by BIOS "F8".

Initially, the Windows 7 OS on Intel 250GBs SSD did have a reserved partition, that I've moved in to the "C" drive and removed the reserved partition.

Initially, the Windows 8.1 OS resigned on a Samsung 250GBs SSD, where the reserved partition was also removed, and restored to the Samsung 1TB SSD 250GBs partition.

Both of the systems are backed up by Macrium Reflect images. Restoring the images works just fine, without changing the default boot order.

Will the lack of system reserve partition cause issues down the road for Windows 10? If it may, how would one go about creating one?

:)

Cr00zng, Feb 11, 2018
  2. neilpzz Win User
    neilpzz, Feb 11, 2018
  3. lth3po Win User
    Recovery Partition upgrading to Windows 10

My laptop came with windows 7 installed with 3 partitions:

System, Active, Primary Partition (200MB)

Recovery Partition (16GB)

Windows Partition (Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

I replaced the hard disk and did a clean installation of windows 10. It created 3 partitions by default:

Recovery Partition (450MB)

EFI System Partition (100MB)

Windows Partition (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Do I need to migrate the 200MB and 16GB partitions in windows 7 to windows 10 manually? Thanks!

lth3po, Feb 11, 2018
  4. Windows 10 partitions...

Hi,
    Not really a problem
    Win-7's was way too small anyway 100mb's where 8's was probably 450mb's
    As you notice 10 just adds a system recovery.. at the end of the partition which can be deleted if you don't want to revert back out of the update that created it
    Bad thing that might happen is 10 might create another restore partition instead if it were in front of the C partition where 10 might over write it.
    Not sure I just delete the partitions when 10 creates them and and delete the restore point 10 created for the update.

ThrashZone, Feb 11, 2018
  5. Cr00zng Win User
    The recovery partition is fine as it is, both drives have more than enough disk space available...

Worrying about booting was one of my concerns and thanks for clearing that up. Both Windows 10 have everything in their respective "C" drives. This system does not have the EUFI enabled and as such, it is the BIOS and not the GPT style partitioning on the drives.

What had been confusing in the image in my first posting is that one drive [SSD Win8.1 (C] had all the indication for the System, Boot, Page file, etc., while the other [SSD Win7 (C]. does not. Until I realized, that the other installation of Windows 10 needs to be booted up to see that:

Windows 10 partitions... [​IMG]

It's all good as it is...

PS: I've been working with EUFI/GPT on new systems and sort of missed it on on my old system, I guess...*Wink

Cr00zng, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 partitions...

1. Windows 10 partitions... - Similar Threads - partitions

2. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?: My laptop persistently fails to install an update as below: My research points to this being a problem with recovery partition. Investigating this I see I have two:So I can see that partition 5 is not in use and is a whopping 16 GB in size, but I am also puzzled that the...
  3. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?: My laptop persistently fails to install an update as below: My research points to this being a problem with recovery partition. Investigating this I see I have two:So I can see that partition 5 is not in use and is a whopping 16 GB in size, but I am also puzzled that the...
  4. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. There are 2 recovery environment partitions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There are 2 recovery environment partitions.: There is usually only one recovery environment partition but I have two. One is about 500 MB and the other is a gigabyte. I remember running the AOMEI partition wizard because I had to move files on my C: to create a partition, and I think that is what created the new...
  6. There are 2 recovery environment partitions.

There are 2 recovery environment partitions.: There is usually only one recovery environment partition but I have two. One is about 500 MB and the other is a gigabyte. I remember running the AOMEI partition wizard because I had to move files on my C: to create a partition, and I think that is what created the new...
  7. How to fix this we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one for more...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix this we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one for more...: we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one for more information see the setup logDrive 1 Partition 1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-this-we-couldnt-create-a-new-partition/7f11ab8b-6946-4428-9fb2-fcf13758d32c
  8. How to fix this we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one for more...

How to fix this we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one for more...: we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one for more information see the setup logDrive 1 Partition 1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-this-we-couldnt-create-a-new-partition/7f11ab8b-6946-4428-9fb2-fcf13758d32c
  9. How to fix this we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one for more...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Windows won't boot after partition management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't boot after partition management: Hello, on Windows 10 I recently used "Resize-C/IM-Magic partition resizer" to move my C: drive partition to the left where there was about 500mb of unallocated space. To apply the change it required a reboot, I was then going to extend the partition through Disk Management...