Windows 10: Windows 10 PC keeps freezing/crashing - hard disk 'has a bad block'?

Discus and support Windows 10 PC keeps freezing/crashing - hard disk 'has a bad block'? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For the past week or so my laptop has been freezing after about 20-30 mins of use. The freeze is unrecoverable and often the screen just goes black,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rooty94, May 5, 2017.

1. rooty94 Win User

Windows 10 PC keeps freezing/crashing - hard disk 'has a bad block'?

For the past week or so my laptop has been freezing after about 20-30 mins of use. The freeze is unrecoverable and often the screen just goes black, and I have to switch it off and on using the power button.
    Have been looking in event viewer and there are numerous Errors - but not sure which (if any) are relevant. However one which sticks out are errors from Source=disk, saying 'The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.'
    Any ideas? Thanks

:)

rooty94, May 5, 2017

2. Windows 10 Freezes during update.

Hello Windows 10 keeps freezing during an update that it tries. The two that do it are updates 1607 and 1709. It gets to around 56% and then turns black screen, I hard crash it, then it starts again at 75% and freezes again at 82% forcing a second hard
    crash. It has continued this way for awhile now. I have attempted troubleshooting, and deleting my cache. Nothing works. Can anyone help me with this.

JonathanDerby, May 5, 2017
  3. *Original Title: PC freezing and crashes; Disc usage 100%

*Original Title: PC freezing

My PC for the last week has been freezing.

1) Program crashes (usually)

2) Disk usage goes to 100% and doesn't change

3) Cannot use Windows Explorer - taskbar, start menu, notifications, desktop icons, but I can move my mouse usually

4) Have to hard restart which is killing my PC - I must have done this over 50 times in the last week.

My PC has frozen 3 times in 15 minutes today alone! Please help me, I made a thread for this but no one is helping.

ChickenStrike, May 5, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

Recommend usb or dvd booting Macrium Reflect or anything similar and making either a one-pass sector by sector clone or full image of the source HD onto any trustworthy, affordable, external HD today if not yesterday. At the very least, copy your data folders and files onto any reliable external media today if not yesterday.

RolandJS, May 5, 2017
  5. rooty94 Win User
    So I take it your suggesting the hard drive is likely to die soon? Are there any steps I can take to correct this/avoid it? Thanks.

rooty94, May 5, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    There is no way to predict when a HD fails completely. I just recommend doing routine OS and Data partition backups -- as a habit.

RolandJS, May 5, 2017
  7. rooty94 Win User
    Issues is that even if I have my data backed up - my laptop is still pretty much unusable as after half an hour or so it will become unresponsive. If I were to replace the hard drive with a new one (or SSD), is this likely to fix this issue?

rooty94, May 21, 2017
  8. EdTittel Win User

If the drive that's throwing errors is replaced with a new, good working drive, it will probably end those errors. It could, but might not necessarily, restore your system to normal operation. Only way to find out is to try. You don't want to keep using a drive that's producing such errors, that's for sure. I hope you have a backup (or a low amount of data to backup) because a failure rate of "every half hour" may not leave you enough time to create a good backup between failures! I'd suggest an SSD rather than an HDD, if you can afford one.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 21, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    First thing is to save all of your files. Then you can do whatever you want to troubleshoot and fix.
    After you are backed up place your computer in safe mode with command prompt and run

Safe mode in Win 10 - Microsoft Community

1) command prompt: sfc /scannow (checks the integrity of the operating system and makes repairs)

2) command prompt: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (checks the integrity of the operating system and makes repairs)

System file check - Microsoft Community

There is free software from downloads.com or directly from publishers to check hard drives and SSD drives. Check the hard drive with seatools for windows so you can see the results of SMART, short, and long generic. If it fails the SMART test there are lots of software programs such as crystal disk mark that can give you visuals and data.
    This would give you information on the drive. (No repairs are made, pass fail is provided)

One of my old HP computers has a normal SMART and failed short and long generic. So having all three scans is useful.

3) command prompt: chkdsk (read only mode provides information about bad sectors, unindexed files, orphaned files, etc.

Then plan to be without the computer for at least 8 hours (run overnight) and sometimes it can take substantially longer.
    4) command prompt: chkdsk /f /r (this will require a Y and a reboot) (it can fix the files on a drive)

Again you should back up any and all important files before the troubleshooting and fixes. Some of the troubleshooting steps that work routinely can sometimes have pitfalls such as making a marginal operating system unbootable.

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 PC keeps freezing/crashing - hard disk 'has a bad block'? - Similar Threads - keeps freezing crashing

2. PC keeps crashing/freezing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC keeps crashing/freezing.: First off I want to thank you for your time and assistance.For months I've been dealing with my comp crashing maybe once a day and it was annoying but I could deal with it. Here lately it has been crashing multiple times within a couple hours and still getting different BSOD...
  3. Pc keeps freezing/crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc keeps freezing/crashing: Title says it all... My pc keeps freezing/crashing randomly multible times a day..... i suspect that its my GPU but im not sure it has done this since summer of 22. bough pc 02/22I link my mini dump to this post so if someone can analyse it and tell me what my problem is and...
  4. pc keeps freezing and crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc keeps freezing and crashing: Hey, for a while I have had problems with my computer and nothing seems to fix it, while using my computer for doing anything it just freezes and forces me to restart, crashes, or the screen just goes black , I changed my os from an HDD to SSD a while ago and that fixed it...
  5. pc keeps freezing and crashing

pc keeps freezing and crashing: Hey, for a while I have had problems with my computer and nothing seems to fix it, while using my computer for doing anything it just freezes and forces me to restart, crashes, or the screen just goes black , I changed my os from an HDD to SSD a while ago and that fixed it...
  6. PC keeps crashing/freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC keeps crashing/freezing: My pc has been crashing whenever I play a game and sometimes even when I am just doing a simple task like searching something or watching youtube. The screen either freezes and then restarts or the screen turns white and restarts. I have used whocrashed and it says:On Tue...
  7. PC keeps crashing/freezing

PC keeps crashing/freezing: My pc has been crashing whenever I play a game and sometimes even when I am just doing a simple task like searching something or watching youtube. The screen either freezes and then restarts or the screen turns white and restarts. I have used whocrashed and it says:On Tue...
  8. Pc keeps crashing/freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc keeps crashing/freezing: My pc has been crashing whenever I play a game and sometimes even when I am just doing a simple task like searching something or watching youtube. The screen either freezes and then restarts or the screen turns white and restarts. I have used whocrashed and it says: On Tue...
  9. PC keeps on freezing and crashing

PC keeps on freezing and crashing: hi, ever since the update of the new windows 10 late july, this year, my computer keeps on crashing freezing, bluescreen while playing. it really irritates me that i am on the point of throwing this pc, such a trash, it is new. audio is distorted when ever i use my razor...
  10. PC Keeps Freezing, Crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Keeps Freezing, Crashing: I have had persistent problems recently with my computer freezing/crashing, and I just wanted to air this issue for possible solutions should anyone recognise the problem. This is an HP Pavilion, model 500-123a, running Windows 10 (recently upgraded from Windows 8). What's...