Windows 10: Windows 10 PC waking from sleep at same time each day

Discus and support Windows 10 PC waking from sleep at same time each day in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Recently I have been finding my PC powered up when it should be sleeping. Using powercfg -lastwake does not show a cause but looking at system events I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by geoffd, Oct 28, 2015.

1. geoffd Win User

Windows 10 PC waking from sleep at same time each day

Recently I have been finding my PC powered up when it should be sleeping. Using powercfg -lastwake does not show a cause but looking at system events I can that there are a series of events each day starting at 08:59:31. One of these is a Power - Troubleshooter event which says that the system has returned from a low power state but Wake Source is unknown. This and the other messages are ones that normally appear if I wake up the PC manually. There are subsequent events from Windows Update so I thought that might be the cause but it does not run immediately and I now believe that it is running because the PC has woken up and is not causing it to wake.

I have checked in Power Options Advanced Settings/Sleep and Allow wake timers is set to disabled.

I have checked that on my network adaptor, 'Allow this device to wake the computer' is not checked.

I have checked Control Panel/Security and Maintenance/Automatic Maintenance and Allow scheduled maintenance to wake my computer at the scheduled time is unchecked.

I had also checked in Task Scheduler and under WindowsUpdate there are 4 tasks but under Conditions, none are set to 'Wake the computer to run this task'.

Checking back through the event logs it seems that this problem first happened on 27th Sep and always happens at 08:59:31. I have looked at the event log for the previous day and can see some events relating to the installation or update of a device driver although I haven't made changes to the hardware for a long time. It is followed by an event relating to Disk 3 which I don't normally have so I assume these were as a result of plugging in a USB device. There are also events relating to a windows update of VCLibs 12.

Any suggestions how I can track down the culprit?

:)

geoffd, Oct 28, 2015

2. Windows 10 Movies & TV slow motion playback after sleep mode

Windows 10 Movies & TV app . Each time PC wakes from sleep mode , Videos playback in slow motion . Restart PC to resolve until PC enters sleep mode & wakes again . Any solutions for a permanent fix to avoid restarting always ?

LanceHaefliger, Oct 28, 2015
  3. How to keep computer awake after waking from a scheduled job.

I put my Windows 10 PC to sleep each night before going to bed and need it to automatically wake up at 8:00 AM each morning and
    stay awake until I put it to sleep at night. I have a scheduled job that dutifully wakes the PC every morning, but the problem is that it puts itself back to sleep within a few minutes. If I move the mouse during the few minutes it's awake
    it stays awake all day with no problem. If I wake the computer with the keyboard it stays awake all day.

This process worked fine in Windows 7. Any suggestions?

RickBell_CA, Oct 28, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, is it possible you have a scheduled task elsewhere than where you have looked set to wake the PC?

Since you know the time, you could run Sysinternals Process Monitor to record what's happening- albeit analysing the extensive log can be tedious.

dalchina, Oct 29, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Some computers can be set by the BIOS to switch on at specific time. Check the BIOS.

spapakons, Oct 29, 2015
  6. geoffd Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion. What I found was there was nothing significant at 08:59:31 when the PC first woke up but at precisely 09:00 there was a registry read for a scheduled task, the excellent SyncBack Free. I normally have its tasks running in the evening and set not to wake up the computer but somehow I assume they were set to what must have been default values of 09:00 and wake up the computer. Not sure how it happened but it is resolved now.
    Thanks for the help.

geoffd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 PC waking from sleep at same time each day - Similar Threads - waking sleep same

2. Windows 11 PC waking from sleep causes Windows 10 machine on same subnet to wake...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 PC waking from sleep causes Windows 10 machine on same subnet to wake...: Hi,I've got a Windows 11 PC which shares a printer with a Windows 10 machine on the same subnet. I print from the Windows 11 machine to the printer on the Windows 10 machine. It's connected to the Windows 10 machine via a USB cable.Both machines are sleeping overnight.When I...
  3. Windows 11 PC waking from sleep causes Windows 10 machine on same subnet to wake...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 PC waking from sleep causes Windows 10 machine on same subnet to wake...: Hi,I've got a Windows 11 PC which shares a printer with a Windows 10 machine on the same subnet. I print from the Windows 11 machine to the printer on the Windows 10 machine. It's connected to the Windows 10 machine via a USB cable.Both machines are sleeping overnight.When I...
  4. Pc waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc waking from sleep: So, I have this problem where my pc immediately wakes itself up from sleep. I have done everything like powercfg, power management to disable wake up but nothing works. Powercfg lastwake shows type: fixed feature and source: power button. But, I'm sure it's not happening...
  5. Set time wake Windows from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Set time wake Windows from sleep: Hi, I was searching about a way to set a time o wake my PC from sleep, but only found a bunch of links about creating a new Task with privileges to turn On and open a cmd. Some time in, I found this shell for Ubuntu: https://github.com/bagustris/suspend_until This is...
  6. Windows 10 pc will not wake from sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 pc will not wake from sleep.: My five month-old HP all-in-one has worked perfectly until yesterday. Then suddenly it would not wake up from sleep. No response to mouse or keyboard. Ultimately I touched short press the power button and the sign-in screen jumped to life, with mouse and keyboard normal. Not...
  7. BSOD every time PC wakes from sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD every time PC wakes from sleep mode: I wondered if anyone can provide any help with a very frustrating issue I have been having. My system is a fair few years old and I have never had any problems until recently. All of a sudden, a few weeks ago, I noted that every single time my PC wakes from sleep mode it BSOD...
  8. PC FREEZES when waking up from sleep and loses ethernet conntection at the same time

PC FREEZES when waking up from sleep and loses ethernet conntection at the same time: ok so i bought my cyberpower pre bulit last june ryzen 7 2700x nvidia 2070 rtx 220gb ssd 2 tb hdd asus b450 So far the past day now my computer as been freezing when i wake it up from sleep. i can intallity start up no problem and be on it for hours. but the second...
  9. WINDOWS 10 PC KEEPS WAKING FROM SLEEP

WINDOWS 10 PC KEEPS WAKING FROM SLEEP: PC continually wakes from sleep in Windows 10. powercfg /lastwake identified Intel(R)USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller-1.0 (Microsoft) Intel no longer supports host controller. Intel Driver Assistant, scanned and advised no updates for device. How do I stop this...
  10. Display drive failed to restart - Each time after waking laptop from sleep - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display drive failed to restart - Each time after waking laptop from sleep - Windows 10: Display driver failed to start. This happens everytime I wake up my laptop from sleep. That notification pops up.. laptop screen goes black for a bit and comes back but then it doesn't detect my external monitor anymore. I have to restart everytime so I can use my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what keeps waking my PC everyday at the same time?