Windows 10: Windows 10: Permanent Custom Folder Icon on external USB Flash Drive?

Discus and support Windows 10: Permanent Custom Folder Icon on external USB Flash Drive? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello. My question is how can I customize the folder icons on a portable drive like a flash drive? I've learned how to change the drive icon itself,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RetratsRevo, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Windows 10: Permanent Custom Folder Icon on external USB Flash Drive?

Hello.
    My question is how can I customize the folder icons on a portable drive like a flash drive? I've learned how to change the drive icon itself, but I want to change the folder icons within the drive directory so that the set icons appear in whatever PC it's connected to.

I can customize a folder icon by right clicking the folder and selecting properties customize change icon... But this customization only appears on the original system (computer A). When I connect the drive to computer B, the folder icons revert back to the default folder icons. Obviously, computer A retains the setting information, but how do I make the drive retain the settings information so that it displays on computer B like computer A and so on and so forth?

Thanks for the help!

Windows 10

:)

RetratsRevo, Dec 9, 2017

2. how to set a permanent custom folder icon in windows 10?

in earlier version of windows, i can set the custom folder icon to permanent by editing the "desktop.ini" file, with simply erase some part of the icon file address into
    iconresource="icon name".ico,0. it works in win 7, 8, and 8.1. now i use windows 10, i can apply a custom folder icon, but it will revert to default folder icon if i copy or move the folder to another place. i don't like this, you can say, i HATE this
    side of windows 10. tell me! how to make it permanent?

Muhammad IsfanTauhid, Dec 9, 2017
  3. Permanent Custom Folder Icons

As the title suggests, I would like to know if custom folder icons can be made permanent in Windows 10. Like, I have changed a folder icon with my own .ico file placed in drive C. Now I move it to say drive D, or copy it to an external drive or send it
    via email, I would like it to show the same folder icon that I changed from the default one to. I have found older posts when searching the internet but they are all for Windows 7 or 8. I would like to know if this can be done in Windows 10.

Mohandas Murmu, Dec 9, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Windows 10: Permanent Custom Folder Icon on external USB Flash Drive?

Make sure the custom icon(s) resides in a folder on the usb drive itself.

Windows 10: Permanent Custom Folder Icon on external USB Flash Drive? [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 9, 2017
  5. am i missing something? the drive letter (and the path to the icon) would be different on another computer, I thought I made it clear I want the icon to appear on any and all computers the USB drive is plugged into

RetratsRevo, Dec 9, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    I only highlighted the path just to show that it is a thumb drive.

You need to put the custom icon, (.ico file), in a folder on the USB drive itself, apply it once on each machine you plug it into, then, after that, you're all set.

Edwin, Dec 9, 2017
  7. ok I wasn't sure before, but know I know YOU MUST BE JOKING! the reason i asked on the forum is to find out, if at all possible, how to make the icon stay/ do that PERMANENTLY! and not have to do it on each and every PC thats a fools errand, I thought I made that abundantly clear in the description, and apparently I did not, and for that im sorry!

RetratsRevo, Dec 9, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

Okay, then it's not possible!
    New found hardware will, in all probability, fall to defaults first.

Secondly, how many different machines do you intend to plug this thing into, on an ongoing basis, with the NEED to have custom folder icons?

Edwin, Dec 9, 2017
  9. not possible on windows 10? cause I did find some that supposedly work on windows 7, something involving a desktop.ini file, but when I tried it didn't work

around 7 machines on a weekly basis

RetratsRevo, Dec 9, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    It will create an Initialization file, but it has to point to a resource that resides on the drive itself!

I guess you'll have to customize the USB about 7 times! *Wink

Windows 10: Permanent Custom Folder Icon on external USB Flash Drive? [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10: Permanent Custom Folder Icon on external USB Flash Drive? - Similar Threads - Permanent Custom Folder

2. Custom folder icons on Networked drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom folder icons on Networked drives: I have literally hundreds of folders on several networked drives that I created custom icons for. As of the 22H2 Windows 11 Pro update, they have all disappeared. If I roll back the update, they all appear again. Has anyone else encountered this, and does anyone have a fix...
  3. Custom folder icons on Networked drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom folder icons on Networked drives: I have literally hundreds of folders on several networked drives that I created custom icons for. As of the 22H2 Windows 11 Pro update, they have all disappeared. If I roll back the update, they all appear again. Has anyone else encountered this, and does anyone have a fix...
  4. substitute USB Flash Drive with USB external SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    substitute USB Flash Drive with USB external SSD?: Can this be done to create Windows install media? Thanks! *Smile 167579
  5. Turning USB Flash Drive/External SSD into boot drive with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning USB Flash Drive/External SSD into boot drive with Windows 10: Hi Guys. I have a bit of a dilemma on my hand and I need help! First, background: I currently use a laptop computer at work but am thinking of migrating to a desktop because I just like the performance much better, that being said I still have use for my laptop since a few...
  6. USB Flash Drive Icon Incorrect

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Flash Drive Icon Incorrect: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/HuntersPad [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dt5g2q/usb_flash_drive_icon_incorrect/
  7. Custom usb drive icon not appearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom usb drive icon not appearing: hello all I'm trying to make my usb drive icon reappear using an "autorun.inf" file. this is what my file contains : [AutoRun] Icon=Omid.ico Label=Omid and it is copied to the flash drive as well as the icon file. the name of the icon is exactly as written above. so what is...
  8. Permanent Custom Folder Icon Problem

Permanent Custom Folder Icon Problem: Hi Guys need help OS Windows 10 Windows anniversary version updated so the problem is with folder ico customisation it is not staying permanently first i downloads a regular ico file from online source then i uses this method How to apply Permanent Icons -...
  9. Custom Folder Icons in Windows 10

Custom Folder Icons in Windows 10: I hope everyone is fine. I want to assign custom icons to my folders related to Movies, TV Series etc. I know how to do it but how do i make these custom folder icons permanent so wherever i copy paste the folder the icon goes along with it. I researched about it and did...
  10. Losing Custom Folders Icon When Moving To USB Flash

Losing Custom Folders Icon When Moving To USB Flash: Dear All, I used to customize my icons specially for Movies and TV Collection to give it a nice look. While using Windows 8.1 i used the below to keep the icons shown even if i transferred the folder to any other USB Flash or other computer at the desktop.ini file and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 associate icon to folder usb

2. persistent custom folder icons

3. usb to permanent drive wibdows 10

4. MAKE PERMANENT ICON ON FLASH DRIVE,
  5. how to keep custom icons folder on flash drive