Windows 10: Windows 10 Photos app crashing upon opening

Discus and support Windows 10 Photos app crashing upon opening in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, First off, I've tried numerous fixes suggested in other threads with the same issue; they either didn't work or were not an option to me due... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gmteg, Mar 7, 2018.

1. gmteg Win User

Windows 10 Photos app crashing upon opening

Hi all,

First off, I've tried numerous fixes suggested in other threads with the same issue; they either didn't work or were not an option to me due to this being an issue with multiple computers/users across my organisation.

Quite a few users in my organisation have started crashing upon opening the Photos app (both when opening a photo to view it or simply opening the app) since around a week ago. I've tried reinstalling to no avail, I'm unable to do a system restore to a week ago (seems to have fixed it for others) due to this affecting many users.

Any ideas? Thanks

:)

gmteg, Mar 7, 2018

2. Windows 10 Photos crashes

Windows 10 Photos crashes upon opening. No error message appears. I double click on a photo to open it the black window or the Photos opens then immediately crashes.

MikeD_00711, Mar 7, 2018
  3. Having an issue with the Microsoft Photo App on Windows 10 Mobile

I am having an issue where my Microsoft Photo app on my brand new AT&T Microsoft Lumia 950 keeps crashing upon opening the app

the app needs to be updated to fix this issue

any help would be much appreciated

Stephen J. Mayer, Mar 7, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Photos app crashing upon opening

Hi gmteg. Welcome to the TenForums @gmteg

If you have access to one of these machines I think I would try a clean boot and see if Photos still crashes. Hoping this way you will be able to identify it is something within windows or if it is how windows is interacting with a third party software your firm is using.

If it still crashes with clean boot I might then try safe mode.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 10, 2018
  5. Steve C Win User
    Does the Photos app work in other accounts on the PC? If so you may have a corrupt account. You could try resetting the Photos app but you have already reinstalled it so this may not work either.

Steve C, Mar 11, 2018
  6. davidhk Win User
    May I suggest an alternative : Restore Windows Photo Viewer
    How to Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

davidhk, Mar 11, 2018
  7. gmteg Win User
    I'll try a clean boot tomorrow, thanks.
    ---
    I'll try it with another account tomorrow but it seems like a slim chance since this simultaneously happened for numerous users in my organisation across many machines and seemingly quite a few people on these forums. Also tried resetting and reinstalling Photos app to no avail. Thanks for your time.
    ---
    We're considering this but it could become a nightmare splitting our users across different photos apps including the various issues that can arise through using the old Windows Photo Viewer, I've read quite a few problems about using it. Thanks for sharing!

gmteg, Mar 11, 2018
  8. davidhk Win User

OK. How about this...... uninstall Photos app > go to Windows Store > reinstall Photo app.

How to uninstall Photos in Windows 10 :
    Uninstall Apps in Windows 10
    Use Option Two or Three.
    Scroll down to " (To remove Photos app from........) > copy and paste the command to your PowerShell (Admin) > Enter

Go to Windows Store > search for Microsoft Photos > install.

davidhk, Mar 11, 2018
  9. gmteg Win User
    Reinstalled already after removing the app with Powershell, unfortunately the issue remains. Thanks again.

gmteg, Mar 12, 2018
  10. How did clean boot go?

Caledon Ken, Mar 12, 2018
  11. gmteg Win User
    Still didn't work, unfortunately.

gmteg, Mar 12, 2018
  12. Might not yield much but I would try a safe boot as well, gets the basic video driver.

Caledon Ken, Mar 12, 2018
  13. Steve C Win User

You said you have many PCs having the same problem. Perhaps there is some common software you are using which conflicts with the latest Photo app? What antivirus are you using? If not MS Defender, try uninstalling the antivirus on one PC, just use MS Defender and see what happens.

Steve C, Mar 13, 2018
  14. gmteg Win User
    Meant to reply to you yesterday, Ken. The safe boot didn't resolve the issue either.

I really hope MS release a Photos app update soon.

gmteg, Mar 14, 2018
  15. gmteg Win User
    I'll give that a try when I get a chance, using Symantec just now. With that said, I have the same version as the affected users and my Photos app is working as intended.

gmteg, Mar 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Photos app crashing upon opening - Similar Threads - Photos app crashing

2. Chrome crashes upon opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chrome crashes upon opening: Whenever I open chrome on my windows 11 laptop it immediately closes within a moment I have tried reinstalling and restarting my computer but that only keeps it open for an extra second or two until I interact with the app. I need chrome for school and other work and this...
  3. Chrome crashes upon opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chrome crashes upon opening: Whenever I open chrome on my windows 11 laptop it immediately closes within a moment I have tried reinstalling and restarting my computer but that only keeps it open for an extra second or two until I interact with the app. I need chrome for school and other work and this...
  4. Native Window apps Microsoft store, photos, even wsreset.exe crash instantly upon opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Native Window apps Microsoft store, photos, even wsreset.exe crash instantly upon opening: Title says it all i've gone through multiple threads doing everything i can to fix this but nothing seems to work no matter what i do and i can't manage to figure out what to do to fix it. i'm on the latest update and i've tried so many powershell and command prompt things...
  5. Native Window apps Microsoft store, photos, even wsreset.exe crash instantly upon opening

Native Window apps Microsoft store, photos, even wsreset.exe crash instantly upon opening: Title says it all i've gone through multiple threads doing everything i can to fix this but nothing seems to work no matter what i do and i can't manage to figure out what to do to fix it. i'm on the latest update and i've tried so many powershell and command prompt things...
  6. PowerShell Crashes upon opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PowerShell Crashes upon opening: I have recently been facing a problem with PowerShell. Whenever i open PowerShell, it will crash and sometimes it will give out this error [process exited with code 4294901760 0xffff0000] I have tried running SFC /Scannow but it didn't work. I would be really grateful if...
  7. PowerShell Crashes upon opening

PowerShell Crashes upon opening: I have recently been facing a problem with PowerShell. Whenever i open PowerShell, it will crash and sometimes it will give out this error [process exited with code 4294901760 0xffff0000] I have tried running SFC /Scannow but it didn't work. I would be really grateful if...
  8. windows store apps crash upon opening

windows store apps crash upon opening: I've tried everything I can, this is a fresh install of windows and I've reinstalled the windows store through power shell. No matter what I do apps in the windows store close half a second after they're opened, and sometimes they don't even open at all...
  9. Apps Crash upon Starting In Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps Crash upon Starting In Windows 10: Hi Apps immediately crash upon launch in Windows 10. Apps I tried are Mail, Calendar and Store. Device is Surface Go. OS is Windows 10 Home. I tried Store, with the idea that I would uninstall Mail and Calendar, then re-install. But, I can't open Store. I tried...
  10. Windows 10 Mail and Calendar apps immediately crash upon opening

Windows 10 Mail and Calendar apps immediately crash upon opening: Windows 10 version 1709 Mail and Calendar apps crash immediately after opening. I see the window for the app appear briefly, and then is gone a moment later. I tried running the "Windows Store Apps" troubleshooter, which was able to detect the app crashing problem, but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 apps crashing upon opening