Windows 10: Windows 10 - Pin to Start - icons disappearing & changing

Discus and support Windows 10 - Pin to Start - icons disappearing & changing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; problem still there and its happening on every reboot. very annoying. so i've moved my apps from the ext. USB drive onto an internal drive for now. i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by biker66, Apr 4, 2018.

1. biker66 Win User

Windows 10 - Pin to Start - icons disappearing & changing

problem still there and its happening on every reboot. very annoying. so i've moved my apps from the ext. USB drive onto an internal drive for now. i only have one app pinned to start thats on the ext USB drive. so i can test any Windows updates to see if MS fix the problem.

biker66, Apr 4, 2018
  2. biker66 Win User

i'm running v1803 17133.73 and been having problems with icons changing and even disappearing. when they do change they all change to the same icon so i'm unable to know by looking at the icons which app is which! only by hovering the mouse cursor over each one and waiting until the title is showing do i know.. i didn't have this problem using v1709 (RS3). The icons that do change are for apps that are all stored on a removable USB drive. I don't see why that should make any difference as the drive letter for that drive stays the same. Anybody else having this problem? for now i've moved my apps onto an internal SATA drive and pinned to Start from that drive. i don't expect any issues but i would rather have these apps stored on my USB drive.

:)

biker66, Apr 14, 2018
  3. cs127 Win User
    (2)

I had some folders including System32, SysWOW64, and my account folder pinned to start menu.

Once I opened the start menu and the icons of those three folders faded and disappeared.

I tried pinning my account folder although it was already pinned, then opened up the start menu, the icon appeared again but its name was changed from "" to " (2)". I tried pinning another folder twice, but nothing weird happened. I unpinned
    " (2)", and the System32 and SysWOW64 folders and pinned them again, System32 and SysWOW64 icons got fixed and their name didn't change, but my account folder still had a "(2)" at the end of it. The filename itself was still "" but on the start menu
    it would show up as " (2)". Someone help me. WTF.

EDIT: Nevermind, I right-clicked on it and clicked "Open file location", in the folder, there were two shortcuts "" and " (2)" which both lead to my account folder, "C:\Users\", but "" wasn't showing up, until I deleted " (2)" and
    "" replaced it in the start menu.

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / Start Menu)

cs127, Apr 14, 2018
  4. Windows 10 - Pin to Start - icons disappearing & changing

Pinned to start in win 10 but not visible

Upgraded to Win 10 and start menu worked fine for several days then I tapped mail icon and it disappeared. When check in apps list, it says already pinned to start. Have tried to un pin and then pin again, still same result. How do I get mail icon to show
    in start again?

John Oshoway, Apr 14, 2018
  5. pepanee Win User
    pepanee, Apr 14, 2018
  6. biker66 Win User
    ok i'll try running that as and when i need to. hopefully not. i just moved about a dozen or so apps back onto my USB drive where they were before.

biker66, Apr 14, 2018
  7. pepanee Win User
    You should still try it. It doesn't mess up anything really. It just makes Windows refresh all the icons in the database. It won't make you lose any icons pictures or anything. I use it on a frequent basis when one icon has issues remembering what it looks like. It won't reset anything. I recommend you try it right now. It could permanently fix that error to where you would never see that problem in the future hopefully.

pepanee, Apr 15, 2018
  8. biker66 Win User

i just used it 1st thing this morning. only the icons for apps on my external USB drive were messed up - they were all showing the same blank looking icon. when i ran the batch file it said there were 3 files it was denied access to. i should run the batch file as admin? i have a shortcut on my desktop to the batch file. if i right-click it there is an option "Run as admin". but it did work! all the icons re-appeared and before i rebooted. but i choose to reboot anyway. do you know if the reboot must be done?

biker66, Apr 15, 2018
  9. pepanee Win User
    Hi. I'm glad that it fixed your icons =)

Yes, run it as Admin. I think you won't see the 3 access denied errors, and it would run fully to do what it needs to do to fix the error with the icons.
    The reboot isn't really necessary, yet I would still reboot to make sure that the icons still appear as being fixed. And also, I'm assuming that your machine has to eventually be turned off at a later time in the future anyways (and on again). =)

I hope this fixed your icon error.

pepanee, Apr 15, 2018
  10. biker66 Win User
    still have this problem in the 17134.1 build.

biker66, Apr 17, 2018
  11. pepanee Win User
    Oh. I guess maybe someone else can pitch in on this one. I don't know what else you could do.

pepanee, Apr 17, 2018
  12. biker66 Win User
    its not happening too often. i'll live with it until MS hopefully fix it in an update. problem wasn't there in RS3 and i'm still running on the same computer hardware.

biker66, Apr 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - Pin to Start - icons disappearing & changing - Similar Threads - Pin Start icons

2. PDF File Icon- Change Icon and Pin to Start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF File Icon- Change Icon and Pin to Start: I have a PDF file on my desktop of the manual/ user guide of my laptop. How can i change the icon from the pdf icon to the manufacturer's icon which I have already downloaded and then how to pin this to my start menu? Thanks....
  3. Change Pinned-to-Start Icons (Is it Possible?)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Pinned-to-Start Icons (Is it Possible?): I was updating some of my programs and figured I'd get a different frontend for my pcsx2 emulator than PCSX2Bonus, so I downloaded spectabis and pinned it to start, then I saw it had a cool looking tile, which leads to my question: Is there a program out there that will let...
  4. Pinned items disappear in start menu

Pinned items disappear in start menu: I'm facing a problem recently. I pinned some softwares in start menu. But when I turned on my PC again, I saw that they are missing !!! I've pinned again and they disappeared again Would you like to tell me that what's the problem and how can I fix it?...
  5. Icons on start menu disappears

Icons on start menu disappears: Hi! I'm having an issue where some the icons of the programs/apps I have pinned in the start menu disappears. Usually it's the chrome icon missing but it can change and be different ones every time I restart the computer. The icon shows up again after I select properties...
  6. Start menu icons disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu icons disappear: Some-to-most of my start menu icons keep disappearing. There's still a box there and if I hover over it, it will identify, and I can open the program by clicking on it. But the icon itself is gone. 112866
  7. Disappearing Windows 10 Icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Disappearing Windows 10 Icon: I have updated my Windows 10 quite some time ago and I thought i could ignore this problem but I guess i could not. I can't see any of the Window's application icon in my file explorer or task bar. Here's the screenshot of the problem. Imgur: The magic of the...
  8. Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed: I have a laptop with a 4k 17.3" display. When set to native resolution, 3840x2160, some programs do not display their dialog boxes and menus in usable form. In an attempt to correct this I have tried setting the display resolution to 1920x1080. Then setting the magnification...
  9. Start Menu Icons Disappear and colour changes

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Icons Disappear and colour changes: As per title. I'm thinking this might be video driver related as it happens mostly when I'm windowing a game and opening other apps etc. Problem: [img] Usually it looks like this: [img] 21358
  10. Icons disappeared from the Start screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons disappeared from the Start screen: All of the icons for the desktop apps have suddently disappeared from my start menu. This morning, upon logging into my account I was presented with this: [img] No desktop app - except for Microsoft Word, god knows why - had an icon. Instead, they're all blank. The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my pin to start changes everytime i restart will back to old ones

2. windows 10 missing icon pin to start

3. icons pinned to start disappear

4. windows 10 pin to start dissappearing,
  5. pin apps disappear every time after restart pc,
  6. pin to start menu windows 10 disappearing,
  7. windows start pinned titles disappearing,
  8. windows 10 pin icon disappearing,
  9. Windows 10 Office pinned to start keep disappearing,
  10. windows 10 why do my pinned start menu keep disappearing