Windows 10: Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

Discus and support Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; This suits me just fine because I was going to wait a few weeks until the initial rush was over and to read the reports of the Windows Insiders. Even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

This suits me just fine because I was going to wait a few weeks until the initial rush was over and to read the reports of the Windows Insiders.
    Even though I will be applying the upgrade to a separate image of my current Windows7, I still prefer to wait a bit...and it looks like that's what will happen.

dlwmacgregor, Jul 2, 2015
  2. linw Win User

Puzzled about waiting to see the reports of insiders. There are nine months of reports here, already!

We know it is stable, and the great majority know the upgrade process works flawlessly, so what's to wait for?

Let's be clear - win 10 has been produced in a much different way from any other version of windows. The "wait for SP1" mentality is no longer relevant.

However, it is good for a lot of people to wait as it will spread the (down)load*Smile

3. Cliff S New Member
    Like the Germans say: "Vorfreude ist der beste Freude", which translates as:: " Joyful anticipation is the best pleasure".

Cliff S, Jul 3, 2015
  4. Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

If you go here, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...nMore_win10faq it states.

What happens when I reserve?

When you reserve, you can confirm your device is compatible with Windows 10. Between reservation and when your upgrade is ready, the files you need for the upgrade will be downloaded to your PC to make the final installation go more quickly. Then, when your upgrade is ready after July 29, 2015, you get a notification that lets you get started with your upgrade.

How long does it take?

Plan for about an hour for the installation. Newer devices may only take 20 minutes, and older devices may take more than an hour.
    You’ll need to download the installation files before you begin. If you reserve, we’ll take care of downloading those files for you and let you know when you are ready to get started.

Read into it what you will. *Wink

alphanumeric, Jul 3, 2015
  5. If your currently running the preview you need to be logged in with the MSA you used to sign up as an insider, to update to the RTM. If your running Windows 7 or 8.1 I do believe you can still upgrade to Windows 10 with a local account. I did an upgrade from Windows 7 to the preview as was not prompted to setup a Live ID. It just let me continue with the local account that was setup in Windows 7. I rebooted once or twice after and wasn't nagged to switch to a Live ID. I did anyway, as I use one on all my Windows 8.1 PC's anyway.

alphanumeric, Jul 3, 2015
  6. Mel Jones Win User
    Without a doubt Windows 10 is the most anticipated operating system to come from Microsoft in decades… << [REWIND] Déj vu we have been here before with Windows 8 and we said the exact same thing all over again. But this time it is different, Because Microsoft have actually got it right this time… I’ve always put Microsoft in the same category as Lancia (it’s a sports car) Lancia did make some amazing sports cars.

Even when they actually got it right, they still managed to mess things up by making them available left hand drive only. Or only available for the European market. And it’s the same with Microsoft. Windows Me was a total disaster and cost the company millions in lost revenue. Windows XP looked like it was designed by Fisher Price. They got it right with Windows 7, which is why most people are still hanging onto Windows 7 even though it’s an OS that will soon be obsolete. But we still loved them nevertheless.

And it will be the same with Windows 10 Home, Pro, Enterprise (no reference to Star Trek) There is no doubt that Windows 10 upgrade will surpass a million downloads very quickly and the demand on the servers will be very high to the point that I would take a guess that things will not run as smoothly as Microsoft would like them to be. It is inevitable that the demand could be higher than the server and downloads might bottleneck on the network and could take hours.

Let us hope that everything runs smoothly and all goes to plan…

Mel Jones, Jul 5, 2015
  7. Dave44 Win User
    what not clear yet if a insider still using windows 7 or 8.1 will get first wave on 29th

Dave44, Jul 5, 2015
  8. Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

That's something I would like to know, I hope the answer is yes they will *Smile

paulsalter, Jul 5, 2015
  9. bromanbro Win User
    Doubt it. IF MS will let Previewers who upgraded from a valid 7/8 system revert to Final and leave the Insider Program, then that's a good way to get 10 on the 29th (since Insiders get it first) then leave the Insider Program by using the 7/8 license from the upgraded OS.

bromanbro, Jul 5, 2015
  10. I just wish they would make it more clear (not bothered about a delay, just would like to know)

as an insider, if
    I have 1 machine running 10 now
    I have 1 machine running 8.1 with 10 reserved for it

on the 29th, does only the one with 10 on it get the option of upgrading to the final release?, the 8.1 machine will have to wait till its turn (both machines use an ms id which is signed up to the insider programme)

paulsalter, Jul 5, 2015
  11. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . .source please. . .otherwise. . .

12. bromanbro Win User
    You've probably already read it, but here: Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds [UPDATED 6/22] | Blogging Windows

Here's the quote:
    Obviously subject to change, but MS HAVE confirmed that Insiders get Final first (ON THEIR TP PCS, MS WONT UPGRADE YOUR 7/8 PC AS THE OS ISN'T AN INSIDER BUILD - by all considerations 7/8 PCS are lumped together, Insider MS account or not).

So it will PROBABLY be possible to convert to Final AS LONG as you upgraded from 7/8 to the TP. Obviously subject to change.

So Insiders get 10 Final on 29th, and those eligible 7/8 upgraders may have the option to leave the Insider Program WITHOUT lolformatting (according to that post).

Anyways, I'm planning to find out by upgrading my 7 OEM system to 162 TP, then see if I can leave the Insider Program after getting Final on the 29th (I have a separate partition with a clean installed TP that I plan to leave in the Insider Program)

ps: Another quote:
    Being on an Insider account in 8 (you can't even do that in 7) MEANS NOTHING! Read the part in bold. The ONLY way to get Final earlier is to upgrade your 7/8 installation to a TP build, then opt out after getting Final (unless MS edit this post again lol)

bromanbro, Jul 5, 2015
  13. Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

The way I read it is, if your an insider running the preview, you get it first. If your PC is still running Windows 7 or 8.1, your in the queue with everybody else that reserved your free upgrade. Insider or not.

alphanumeric, Jul 5, 2015
  14. bromanbro Win User
    This. Only difference is clean TP installs vs valid 7/8 upgrades>TP. 7/8 Upgrades still get Final first, and should be able to opt-out of the Insider program then and remain activated.

bromanbro, Jul 5, 2015
  15. Yes, I agree. Valid upgrades from 7 or 8.1.

alphanumeric, Jul 5, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

1. Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices - Similar Threads - Preparing Upgrade Billion

2. CPU Upgrade Preparations

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU Upgrade Preparations: Hello,I have finally committed to upgrading my current cpu i7 4790k to an i7 10700k. Doing so will require that I replace the ram and motherboard. Are there any preparations that need to be made in windows before I replace my processor? Any help is appreciated!...
  3. Microsoft: Windows 10 is now on 1.3 billion monthly active devices

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft: Windows 10 is now on 1.3 billion monthly active devices: Windows 10 is heading closer towards the next big milestone of the 1.5 billion mark, with Microsoft announcing that the operating system is now being actively used on 1.3 billion devices monthly. That’s according to Satya Nadella, Chief Executive Officer at Microsoft, who...
  4. Billions upon billions of OpenWith.exe processes...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Billions upon billions of OpenWith.exe processes...: OK, not really billions, but probably like 100+ "OpenWith.exe" processes keep popping up over time. This has been happening since I built my new machine. I don't recall this happening with my previous build and I am at a loss as to why this is happening at all. I've scanned...
  5. preparation for upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    preparation for upgrade to Windows 10: I need to know details about backing up the data on my PC before I begin to download and install the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10... is there a "recovery" or "restore" procedure that I should follow first? is there a program that I can run to confirm that my system is...
  6. Developing for all 1 billion Windows 10 devices and beyond

in Windows 10 News
    Developing for all 1 billion Windows 10 devices and beyond: This year, Microsoft Build 2020 is a digital-only event that we all get to experience from the comfort of our homes. We hope you enjoy learning about the new features and technologies that matter most to you. Today, I will have the privilege of sharing how developers can...
  7. Windows 10: Powering the world with 1 billion monthly active devices

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: Powering the world with 1 billion monthly active devices: [ATTACH] From the launch of Windows 10, our focus was on moving people from having, to choosing, to loving Windows. With the release of every new build of Windows 10, we have seen customer satisfaction improve as we have made fixes and added new capabilities and...
  8. preparing to upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    preparing to upgrade: Finished the w10 d/l. Now it's says 'preparing to upgrade'. It's been 'rolling' on this screen for several hours now. Is that how it's suppose to work? Does 'preparing to upgrade' really mean it's installing? 38516
  9. Windows 10 won't hit 1 billion devices by mid-2018

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 won't hit 1 billion devices by mid-2018: A little over a year ago, with much fanfare, Microsoft execs drew a line in the sand, predicting that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. But Microsoft officials conceded today, July 15, that they likely won't make that deadline. My ZDNet...
  10. Microsoft's big Windows 10 goal: one billion or bust

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's big Windows 10 goal: one billion or bust: For Windows 10, Microsoft is aiming for a 10-digit installed base. That's a 1 followed by 9 zeroes: 1,000,000,000. One billion devices running Windows 10. At the Build developers' conference in San Francisco earlier this month, Microsoft's Terry Myerson declared that...