Windows 10: Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

Discus and support Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Just upgraded a clean OEM 7 install to 10 10162 (after accepting the 10 reservation) Some things I noticed: OEM info is retained, under "about"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 1, 2015.

1. bromanbro Win User

Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

Just upgraded a clean OEM 7 install to 10 10162 (after accepting the 10 reservation)

Some things I noticed:

OEM info is retained, under "about" in Settings and "System" in CP

Upgraded 7 Home Premium to 10 Home. Had option under "Activation" (Windows Update area) to update to 10 Pro. Was free, and labeled as a test for the TP to make sure it works. It worked. OEM info still there after upgrade. Dunno if I'll have to Downgrade to Home if I opt out on this install after the 29th... (it's possible that people on Home will have the option to pay $40 or whatever to upgrade to Pro after release, thus why MS is testing that function in the TP).

Everything else is the same...

bromanbro, Jul 5, 2015
  2. linw Win User

Can you please explain the OEM info you found? I can't see anything like it on my recent OEM 7 win 10 update.

3. bromanbro Win User
    In Control Panel, under System (the info section) I have manufactorer, model, shows the vendor logo on the right side, etc (like in Win7)

Under About in Settings app - I see my laptop model at the top, with my Laptop vendor under "Support" with the vendor phone number and site.

I don't know if any of this matters. It obviously still uses the Insider Win10 licence, so dunno if it keeps info about my Win7 licence or just copy pasted my OEM info for fun.

bromanbro, Jul 6, 2015
  4. linw Win User

Looks like it is hardware info that I wouldn't have on my home build PC. I thought you were referring to the previous OS install.

5. groze Win User
    @bromanbro

It does at least according to showkeyplus there is a link somewhere on this forum or windows 7 forum

Windows Product Key Information
    Product Name: Windows 10 Home Insider Preview
    Product ID: Removed for privacy
    Installed Key: Removed for privacy
    Original Key: Removed for privacy
    Original Edition: Windows 7 HomePremium OEM:SLP
    OEM Key: Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware

Couldn't really test windows 7 retail key because of the OEM marker. The way I did the upgrade using windows 7 retail key may have messed it up & confused windows 10 install. What I did was change the product key to windows 7 retail key, rebooted upgraded to windows build 10 10162 but it would never activate even when Microsoft got the activation fixed. So, what I had to do is start over and upgraded the oem version to windows 10 and it activated without any issue. Then I put windows 7 retail back on and it is also working without any issue and activated without any issue. I can tell you it was not easy to say the least.

There is one method I haven't tested.
    Doing a clean install of windows 7 retail, after installing some software upgrade to windows 10 and then re-install the oem version but that could take a long time, I don't know if I am up for the challenge plus we have storms this week and maybe next week and I like the computer unplugged during that.

Primary Partition 1 would become windows 7 oem eventually
    Primary Partition 2 would become windows 10 upgraded from windows 7 retail almost clean install
    Logical Partition 5 would remain Xubuntu
    Logical Partition 6 would remain Linux swap partition.

groze, Jul 6, 2015
  6. bromanbro Win User
    eh for me I'm running 10 TP/10 Final (will be)/Arch Linux. Have another machine with 8 that I'm not sure if I'm upgrading yet, since 8 is still supported for a long ass time (and is better then 7 imo). On that one mite just run 8/10 TP

bromanbro, Jul 6, 2015
  7. Yeah, on a factory OEM install you'd see the OEM logo, Dell or HP etc and some other info added to the System page. There is other branding hidden around in Windows too. That all carries over when you do the upgrade to 10. If you installed Windows with a normal off the shelf DVD you don't get that branding. Even if its an OEM DVD. Have a look at this.

Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices [​IMG]

This was an upgrade from Windows 7. I add this info myself, I code it into my install media.

alphanumeric, Jul 6, 2015
  8. Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html I saw the same thing, the original windows 7 OEM key is stored in the registry, even after the upgrade. Same thing on my Windows 8 laptop. It listed the 8.0 OEM key in the BIOS, the 8.0 Pro key I actually installed with, and the Windows 10 key.

9. bromanbro Win User
    so clearly 10 TP keeps that info.

Hopefully I won't have to restore my 7 system image to upgrade then *Smile.

bromanbro, Jul 6, 2015
  10. On an upgrade install yes, its stored in the registry. Showkey pulls keys from several places, including the BIOS of the PC, if there is a key there. In Windows 8 its an actual Product Code stored there. For Windows 7 its just an OEM identifier, not an actual Product Code. It will be interesting to see how Windows 7 OEM installs are handled. All PC's from the same manufacturer run the same key for that version of Windows. For example, all PC's from Dell with 7 Home Premium have the same Dell Product Code. With Windows 8 they changed that. Now they each have an unique Product code stored in the BIOS. Nobody else has your key, even if its an OEM install.

11. Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? What's stored in the BIOS on a Windows 7 PC is just OEM identifier info. There is no product code or even version info. All that's there is the OEM say Dell and it's Windows 7 authorized. Any version could be installed by the OEM, the original image/install media determines that. What's in the BIOS (by itself) wouldn't likely be enough info for the free upgrade offer if you clean installed.

12. bromanbro Win User
    Indeed, but if on July 29th, MS asks 7 users to provide their COA code, they'd find many cancelled reservations, as the COA stickers were prone to melt, and at this point, lots of people probably misplaced/lost them (7 was 2009 after all).

Mine melted years ago. It was placed near my laptop's heat exhaust, and since the COA stickers are shitty quality, it's now unreadable, but the laptop sticker adjacent to it (with laptop serial etc) is 100% fine.

All MS needs to do is ensure that side loaders don't work in 10, so if Daz Windows 7 users upgrade, then they'd be upgrading to a non-genuine Windows 10 (or MS can do a check during upgrade and halt sideloader upgrades). Obviously it's easier to filter out 8 non-genuine users as their hacks are identifiable on the system itself. No need to reboot to a "clean" environment to determine if they're genuine or not.

If it's possible to mod/flash the BIOS to insert SLIC keys, then yeah, MS might have to require COA stickers from 7 users.

PS: I upgraded from an OEM-installed 7 (didn't require COA sticker, read BIOS SLIC table, so COA key is not present in system)

bromanbro, Jul 6, 2015
  13. Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

Some manufacturers have started putting the COA stickers in under the battery on laptops so they last longer and don't get scratched or rubbed off. Yeah, if they ask for the actual code on the sticker a lot of Windows 7 users will be left hanging in the breeze. I'm thinking what's in the BIOS by itself won't be enough though if you clean installed. There will be no product code at all stored anywhere for Windows 7 on that PC.

14. groze Win User
    @alphanumeric

Here is what an upgraded Dell oem_slp system shows

Windows Product Key Information
    Product Name: Windows 10 Home Insider Preview
    Product ID: Removed for privacy
    Installed Key: Removed for privacy
    Original Key: Removed for privacy
    Original Edition: Windows 7 HomePremium OEM:SLP
    OEM Key: Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware

On a clean install of windows 10 I don't think showkey can see the OEM marker. I think if windows 10 can see the OEM marker it should have no problems.

Dell forums has reported that you wouldn't need to change key to upgrade to windows 10 if you are using an OEM:SLP install.

I think there is going to be reverse issue. Those who have changed there key to what is on the back of the machine may not be able to activate windows 10. May have to make a phone call to activate windows 10. I am basing this on what I experienced in my testing.

groze, Jul 6, 2015
  15. bromanbro Win User
    Aren't COA keys unique OEM codes by all intents and purposes? Why would a phone call be required if it can only be used on 1 machine at a time and has a unique code (unlike SLP keys)?

The W.7 hacks slip in sideloaders with OEM SLP keys to fool Windows into thinking that it's an OEM SLP installation. People who use COA keys shouldn't be the problem at all.

ps: I have a clean Insider partition on laptop as well, and that install CANNOT see OEM info. Doesn't even know my vendor lol (at least in System Settings in CP/"About" in Settings).

bromanbro, Jul 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices - Similar Threads - Preparing Upgrade Billion

2. CPU Upgrade Preparations

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU Upgrade Preparations: Hello,I have finally committed to upgrading my current cpu i7 4790k to an i7 10700k. Doing so will require that I replace the ram and motherboard. Are there any preparations that need to be made in windows before I replace my processor? Any help is appreciated!...
  3. Microsoft: Windows 10 is now on 1.3 billion monthly active devices

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft: Windows 10 is now on 1.3 billion monthly active devices: Windows 10 is heading closer towards the next big milestone of the 1.5 billion mark, with Microsoft announcing that the operating system is now being actively used on 1.3 billion devices monthly. That’s according to Satya Nadella, Chief Executive Officer at Microsoft, who...
  4. Billions upon billions of OpenWith.exe processes...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Billions upon billions of OpenWith.exe processes...: OK, not really billions, but probably like 100+ "OpenWith.exe" processes keep popping up over time. This has been happening since I built my new machine. I don't recall this happening with my previous build and I am at a loss as to why this is happening at all. I've scanned...
  5. preparation for upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    preparation for upgrade to Windows 10: I need to know details about backing up the data on my PC before I begin to download and install the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10... is there a "recovery" or "restore" procedure that I should follow first? is there a program that I can run to confirm that my system is...
  6. Developing for all 1 billion Windows 10 devices and beyond

in Windows 10 News
    Developing for all 1 billion Windows 10 devices and beyond: This year, Microsoft Build 2020 is a digital-only event that we all get to experience from the comfort of our homes. We hope you enjoy learning about the new features and technologies that matter most to you. Today, I will have the privilege of sharing how developers can...
  7. Windows 10: Powering the world with 1 billion monthly active devices

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: Powering the world with 1 billion monthly active devices: [ATTACH] From the launch of Windows 10, our focus was on moving people from having, to choosing, to loving Windows. With the release of every new build of Windows 10, we have seen customer satisfaction improve as we have made fixes and added new capabilities and...
  8. preparing to upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    preparing to upgrade: Finished the w10 d/l. Now it's says 'preparing to upgrade'. It's been 'rolling' on this screen for several hours now. Is that how it's suppose to work? Does 'preparing to upgrade' really mean it's installing? 38516
  9. Windows 10 won't hit 1 billion devices by mid-2018

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 won't hit 1 billion devices by mid-2018: A little over a year ago, with much fanfare, Microsoft execs drew a line in the sand, predicting that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. But Microsoft officials conceded today, July 15, that they likely won't make that deadline. My ZDNet...
  10. Microsoft's big Windows 10 goal: one billion or bust

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's big Windows 10 goal: one billion or bust: For Windows 10, Microsoft is aiming for a 10-digit installed base. That's a 1 followed by 9 zeroes: 1,000,000,000. One billion devices running Windows 10. At the Build developers' conference in San Francisco earlier this month, Microsoft's Terry Myerson declared that...