Windows 10: Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

Discus and support Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; bromanbro Here is my story. I got a hold of the windows 7 retail version. So, what I did is change the OEM install to windows 7 retail version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 1, 2015.

1. groze Win User

Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

bromanbro

Here is my story. I got a hold of the windows 7 retail version.

So, what I did is change the OEM install to windows 7 retail version and it activated & validate without any issue. Then I upgraded this to windows 10 10162. Even when Microsoft got the activation fixed, my system wouldn't activate. I think windows 10 got confused on what I had previously installed.

What I did is the reverse. I upgraded the Windows 7 oem_SLP and the pre-activation status remained before even signing up with a Microsoft Account. I keep the windows 7 retail on another partition.

As I said before in another post,
    I haven't tried doing a clean install of windows 7 retail then upgrading to windows 10. That my next test.

groze, Jul 6, 2015
  2. bromanbro Win User

Haha, I see I see. Well good, because if MS wants me to input my COA sticker, then they better fix my sticker first >_>

bromanbro, Jul 6, 2015
  3. It will still see the Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware, its still there. But the Original key shown won't be a Windows 7 key. It will be the Windows 10 install key. Original Edition won't show as Windows 7 either.

alphanumeric, Jul 6, 2015
  4. Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

The keys on the COA stickers are unique OEM keys. The way I understood it though is they aren't entered into the list on the Microsoft activation servers because they may never be used. It also forces you do a phone activation the first time you use it. This lets Microsoft verify you used it on the PC it shipped with. After that I think it just activates like normal on the next reinstall. I haven't seen anything, other than somebodies speculation, that says that Windows 10 will accept Windows 7 or Windows 8 keys? Up until build 10130 Showkey showed Windows 10 as using Windows 8.1 preview keys. Build 10162 now uses Windows 10 pre-release keys. My windows 10 key changed at some point when I went from 10130 > 10158 . 10159 > 10162. What ever happens when you do the free upgrade, whether you have to read off a key to Microsoft or not, I think you will get a new Windows 10 key. That key will be the one you use to reinstall Windows 10 when the time comes to do that.

5. groze Win User
    @alphanumeric

I wanted to try the 32 bit iso version of windows 7 sp1. The oem key activated online without any issue. I could possible have some issue because the motherboad has been replaced under warranty. I am not worried about it since I switched backed to the 64 bit version of windows 7 oem_slp, I most likely will never need to use the key.

On the reply to me.

The windows 7 retail key when I changed the windows 7 oem to windows retail it activated & validated without any issues. When I upgraded the Windows 7 retail to windows 10 10162 preview it wouldn't activate even after switching to a Microsoft account and doing a verification. Do you know why it windows 10 wouldn't activate?

groze, Jul 6, 2015
  6. If you reinstalled with the correct media and actually used the OEM SLP activation, it will activate automatically against the BIOS SLIC table. If you use the code on the COA sticker, your not using the OEM-SLP activation anymore. You switch to the normal online activation. The BIOS SLIC table isn't used anymore.

EDIT: I don't know why Windows 10 wouldn't activate?

7. linw Win User
    Got a Dell Optiplex that had a fresh install of its Win 7 Pro using the COA.

Upgraded to win 10 10162 with no problem - activated automatically.

Showkey shows Original Edition correctly and has OEM:COA at end of line.
    Also says OEM Key: Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware.

So, no drama with this one (so far!).

Thema:

Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices

1. Windows 10: Preparing to Upgrade One Billion Devices - Similar Threads - Preparing Upgrade Billion

2. CPU Upgrade Preparations

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU Upgrade Preparations: Hello,I have finally committed to upgrading my current cpu i7 4790k to an i7 10700k. Doing so will require that I replace the ram and motherboard. Are there any preparations that need to be made in windows before I replace my processor? Any help is appreciated!...
  3. Microsoft: Windows 10 is now on 1.3 billion monthly active devices

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft: Windows 10 is now on 1.3 billion monthly active devices: Windows 10 is heading closer towards the next big milestone of the 1.5 billion mark, with Microsoft announcing that the operating system is now being actively used on 1.3 billion devices monthly. That’s according to Satya Nadella, Chief Executive Officer at Microsoft, who...
  4. Billions upon billions of OpenWith.exe processes...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Billions upon billions of OpenWith.exe processes...: OK, not really billions, but probably like 100+ "OpenWith.exe" processes keep popping up over time. This has been happening since I built my new machine. I don't recall this happening with my previous build and I am at a loss as to why this is happening at all. I've scanned...
  5. preparation for upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    preparation for upgrade to Windows 10: I need to know details about backing up the data on my PC before I begin to download and install the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10... is there a "recovery" or "restore" procedure that I should follow first? is there a program that I can run to confirm that my system is...
  6. Developing for all 1 billion Windows 10 devices and beyond

in Windows 10 News
    Developing for all 1 billion Windows 10 devices and beyond: This year, Microsoft Build 2020 is a digital-only event that we all get to experience from the comfort of our homes. We hope you enjoy learning about the new features and technologies that matter most to you. Today, I will have the privilege of sharing how developers can...
  7. Windows 10: Powering the world with 1 billion monthly active devices

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: Powering the world with 1 billion monthly active devices: [ATTACH] From the launch of Windows 10, our focus was on moving people from having, to choosing, to loving Windows. With the release of every new build of Windows 10, we have seen customer satisfaction improve as we have made fixes and added new capabilities and...
  8. preparing to upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    preparing to upgrade: Finished the w10 d/l. Now it's says 'preparing to upgrade'. It's been 'rolling' on this screen for several hours now. Is that how it's suppose to work? Does 'preparing to upgrade' really mean it's installing? 38516
  9. Windows 10 won't hit 1 billion devices by mid-2018

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 won't hit 1 billion devices by mid-2018: A little over a year ago, with much fanfare, Microsoft execs drew a line in the sand, predicting that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. But Microsoft officials conceded today, July 15, that they likely won't make that deadline. My ZDNet...
  10. Microsoft's big Windows 10 goal: one billion or bust

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's big Windows 10 goal: one billion or bust: For Windows 10, Microsoft is aiming for a 10-digit installed base. That's a 1 followed by 9 zeroes: 1,000,000,000. One billion devices running Windows 10. At the Build developers' conference in San Francisco earlier this month, Microsoft's Terry Myerson declared that...