Windows 10: Windows 10 Preview (10130) Clean Install On Vista System

Discus and support Windows 10 Preview (10130) Clean Install On Vista System in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; First I would like to say hello to everyone on the forum. Second I have quite a few questions as to doing a clean install of Windows 10 Preview (10130)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Simao, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Simao Win User

Windows 10 Preview (10130) Clean Install On Vista System

First I would like to say hello to everyone on the forum. Second I have quite a few questions as to doing a clean install of Windows 10 Preview (10130) on my PC that has Windows Vista currently on it. First, will my PC support Windows 10? (Processor- Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz that has Instructions as follows MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T all these are from CPU-Z, the NX or XD or Execute Disable Bit as per Intel website is supported and from what I have seen most of the time you have to turn it on on your own in BIOS? (http://ark.intel.com/products/36547/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q8200-4M-Cache-2_33-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB), and the PAE I am not sure (how do I go about finding that out?) , Motherboard is Dell/Intel 0N826N A00 (A2 Rev. for Chipset and 02 for Southbridge). Bios is Dell version A05 (04/09/2009). I have 8 GBs of RAM (GDDR2), and Radeon R7 250 1GDB GDDR5. From what I have read is that the 10 Preview will check anyway, but I just want make sure.

Once the above specs will allow for Windows 10 installation, here are the questions (I am planning on using the following tutorial Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums ) :

What do I do with the partitions as I am completly lost when it comes to that part? I have the following partitions currently: Unallocated Space, OS (C), (D) Recovery
    Windows 10 Preview (10130) Clean Install On Vista System [​IMG]

Windows 10 Preview (10130) Clean Install On Vista System [​IMG]

1. I want to install the 10 Preview over Vista that I currently have. What do I do with the partitions (Can I leave the Recovery with Vista just in case I want to go back to it [I also have a disk from the manufacturer with the recovery OS]? Do I need to create one for System Reserved?

2. My PC doesn't have UEFI, and I doubt it supports it, I want to stay like it is when it comes to BIOS. Can I install 10 Preview and leave the BIOS alone?

3. If I want to stay with BIOS instead of UEFI, I should burn the 10 Preview ISO to a DVD, and then boot from BIOS, correct?

4. As for the NX or XD or Execute Disable Bit, this needs to be turned on in BIOS?

5. I doubt that I have Secure Boot, Is this something that will prevent me from installing and running correctly the 10 Preview?

Thank you so much in advance. Any input is appreciated.

:)

Simao, Jun 21, 2015
  2. Philip Yip, Jun 21, 2015
  3. NeoQ Win User
    Whats the difference between Windows 10 Home and Pro?

Firstly, I clean installed with Insider Preview Windows 10 Build 10130. Windows 10 Pro was activated. Then I updated it with official Build 10240. Windows 10 was now "permanently activated".

4. Mystere Win User

The mainboard doesn't help. What is the model number of the Dell PC? I checked a couple of models with this motherboard, and it looks like there's an A12 BIOS. I don't know what this bios does, as there's no release notes.. but given this machine shipped with Vista, my guess is WIndows 7 and Windows 8 compatibility are both in it.

I don't know what your problem is with a more modern bios, but if Windows 10 isn't compatible with it, you won't have any choice.

Mystere, Jun 21, 2015
  5. Simao Win User
    I have nothing against a modern BIOS version (UEFI), its just that the motherboard might. CPU-Z gives me A05 version of the Dell BIOS with 04/09/2009 date.

Simao, Jun 21, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Why would the motherboard have a problem with a BIOS that Dell has explicitly released for it?

And again, what is the Dell model number of your system? The motherboard model does not tell me anything for sure.

Mystere, Jun 21, 2015
  7. From Simao's System Specs > Dell Inspiron 545 MT : Product Support | Dell US

Slartybart, Jun 21, 2015
  8. Simao Win User

Ok, I figured out that I can stay with the same BIOS that I have now, and that my hardware should be able to run Windows 10 Preview. Now the question is if I choose to install 10 Preview on OS (C: ) partition without formatting, it will replace Vista and make a Windows.old right? Also, what do I do about the System Reserved partition? If I will not format the OS (C: ) partition, will Windows 10 Preview install make that partition, or there has to be unallocated space in order to do that? If I delete the Recovery (D: ) Partition that has VIsta Recovery from the manufacturer on it, can I still clean install Vista with a Recovery DVD (that has Vista OS on it) that I received from the manufacturer (Dell) in case I don;t like the 10 Preview?

Simao, Jun 21, 2015
  9. Berton Win User
    I have Win10 on a Dell Inspiron 530S that originally came with Vista. I fully cleaned the HDD then installed Win10, now on Build 10130. I noticed I have a Windows.old Folder dated the day after installing the current build so I suggest saving the Windows.old Folder to another location after installing Win10 if you want to get Vista back or an update to Win10 may overwrite it. Since Win10 will do a clean install over Vista it's necessary to have that disc from Dell to go back to Vista. When 'downgrading' I prefer to boot to a GPARTED disc to first delete all partitions from the drive then boot the Restore disc.
    GParted -- A free application for graphically managing disk device partitions The download is an .iso file used to create the bootable disc.

Berton, Jun 21, 2015
  10. Simao Win User
    Berton, So once I am in the Partition selection step in Win 10 installation, I should just delete both Partitions and the deleted partitions will create Unallocated Space, and when I choose the unalocated space to install 10 on it, I will get the System Reserved partition automatically? I have the Recovery DVD from Dell, so I will be able to clean install Vista from that DVD in case I want to go back, even though having deleted the Recovery (D*Smile partition?

Simao, Jun 21, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Delete all partitions, including the recovery partition, since you have a recovery disc (if you ever want to go back to Vista).
    Don't create any partitions, just click Next. Let the Windows installer create and format the partitions it needs.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Preview (10130) Clean Install On Vista System - Similar Threads - Preview 10130 Clean

2. Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?: Hi. I had an old Packard Bell Hera-C laptop sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe unused for nearly 13 years, but am in a situation where I need to use the built-in webcam and microphone, which I don't have on my PC. Rather than buy a new laptop, I was wondering if I could...
  3. Clean Windows 10 Install and System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Windows 10 Install and System Reserved Partition: Hi, I have a laptop that needs Windows 10 reinstalling on it, as it has some errors on it. The laptop was previously a Windows 7 unit but worked OK on Windows 10 for a while. My question is this: The laptop has a legacy System Reserved partition on it, which I assume is...
  4. Windows 10 Clean install system effects

Windows 10 Clean install system effects: I have been trying to update my Windows 10 via the system update with a constant failure 0x800703ee stating Microsoft update is not sure of the required disk space available. I have in excess of 360GB of free space. Please advise! Thanks in advance Jimi...
  5. After a clean install of Windows 10, no audio on system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After a clean install of Windows 10, no audio on system: After a clean install of Windows 10 on a new hard drive, everything is back up except the sound. I have no audio on the system, my speakers are working, I tested them on my phone. I ran the Troubleshooting on the device; results were "No speakers, headset or headphones are...
  6. Clean Windows Install on Vista laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Windows Install on Vista laptop: I have recently purchased 2 Windows 10 desktops and also have a Toshiba Satellite P300-1FN. Because of security fears on the Toshiba, I downloaded and clean installed Windows 10 Home. I wanted to first check that the Toshiba would be OK with Windows 10, so I did not buy an...
  7. Upgrading windows Technical preview from 10130 to 10158

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading windows Technical preview from 10130 to 10158: Will the updates install new version or I have to download version 10158 and reinstall it? 7596
  8. 10130 fresh Install Alone : Perfect Installation 10/10

10130 fresh Install Alone : Perfect Installation 10/10: Nothing else to add: So far so good. 7223
  9. 10130 install

10130 install: Did both a upgrade and clean install of 10130.On restart or shutdown I get this message. DDE server window This app is preventing you from restarting memory could not be read ALT + F4 for shutdown menu no problem Is there a fix for this ? 6441
  10. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10130 for PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10130 for PCs: Hi everyone, We have a new build for PCs releasing today to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring – Build 10130. As I mentioned with the last build, from here onward you are going to see a lot of tuning, tweaking, stabilizing, and polishing which means fewer big feature...