Windows 10: Windows 10 PRO - can it still kill Cortana via GPEdit.msc ?

Discus and support Windows 10 PRO - can it still kill Cortana via GPEdit.msc ? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; After the WIn10 Creator's edition, can you still permanently kill Cortana via GPEdit ? (I know on Win10 Home its extremely hard to get rid of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bansaw, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Bansaw Win User

Windows 10 PRO - can it still kill Cortana via GPEdit.msc ?

After the WIn10 Creator's edition, can you still permanently kill Cortana via GPEdit ?

(I know on Win10 Home its extremely hard to get rid of Cortana.)

:)

Bansaw, Aug 13, 2017

2. turning off Cortana

If you have Windows 10 Pro you can go into Group Policy and disable it there.

Press Win+R and enter gpedit.msc and navigate to Computer Configuration/Administrative Components/Search, and there you can disable Allow Cortana.

Alan Russell, Aug 13, 2017
  3. If I can't stop Cortana then can I make it launch Fire Fox

If you have Windows 10 Pro or above you can use gpedit.msc to disable Cortana. Navigate to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Search and there disable Allow Cortana.

Have a look at Options/Search for Firefox. There you can specify your default search engine and specify that Windows is to use this search engine for its searches.

Alan Russell, Aug 13, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 13, 2017
  5. Bansaw Win User
    I've got Win10 Pro so I used GPEdit to disable her in the policies, but Cortana is still in the background processes.
    When I had Wiin10 HOme, I would physically rename the SearchUI folder in the WIndows dir. But that had its drawbacks.
    Now I have Win10 Pro Creators.

Is there a 3rd party app that totally shuts Cortana down and limits telemetry? Wahts the best way of terminating Cortana these days?
    (I know with major updates she comes back.. : ( )

Bansaw, Aug 19, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The tutorial I posted above will only disable Cortana the personal assistant, and not the Cortana process (SearchUI.exe) used by Windows Search.

Windows Search is not the same as Cortana despite it sharing the same process name.

Brink, Aug 19, 2017
  7. Bansaw Win User
    When I say Cortana, I mean "Microsofts spy on my computer sending stuff back to headquarters". How would I know for sure if the Cortana still appearing in background tasks is not sending info back to MS?
    I wonder if there is a firewall or network monitor out there that can tell me?...........

Bansaw, Aug 19, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Or get a reality check and stop being paranoid.

cereberus, Aug 19, 2017
  9. Edwin New Member
    Run a Non-Insider Build and turn everything off in Settings.

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 PRO - can it still kill Cortana via GPEdit.msc ? - Similar Threads - PRO still kill

2. Can Cortana still control smart lights?

in Cortana
    Can Cortana still control smart lights?: I looked at the article saying that Cortana can control smart lights, it said something about going into Cortana's settings, something about a notebook, and then something about Connected Home. The kicker is there's no notebook icon anywhere that I've seen associated with...
  3. gpedit windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    gpedit windows 10 pro: Administrator templates are missing from gpedit for Windows 10 PRO https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gpedit-windows-10-pro/a633cbf4-ef12-40da-b828-36a4c6f3fe53
  4. Cortana via keyboard

in Cortana
    Cortana via keyboard: No Microphone. Can I chat with Cortana using only the keyboard? And can I place a Cortana shortcut on my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-via-keyboard/dd1d9a88-f4ba-4797-988c-ae179dd01648
  5. How to kill Cortana / Edge?

in Cortana
    How to kill Cortana / Edge?: This has been asked previously. However, no real answer has been provided - how do you stop Cortana eating ram and processing cycles? Failing that, how do I stonewall Cortana so she's not telling her creators everything about me? I realise I'm not the best at hiding my...
  6. Is microsoft killing cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is microsoft killing cortana: Is Microsoft killing Cortana because I saw a news article that it is so is it true https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-microsoft-killing-cortana/38cb7a9c-359f-433b-a3d5-cf3fe1e5b5db
  7. kill dwm.exe windows 10 pro 64bit

in Windows 10 Support
    kill dwm.exe windows 10 pro 64bit: Hello, do someone know how to kill dwm.exe temporarily in windows 10, it adds input lag. I used to turn that off in windows 7. And i want batch file for it, so i don't have to kill that manually all the time. I have nvidia drivers. Thanks. 118059
  8. Still having problems with MSC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Still having problems with MSC: I am still having problems with Microsoft solitaire collection I have asked every source I know It is so strange that I can click on the M.S.C. 5 or 6 times and it goes through the act of starting and then fades away then on the 6TH time it will stay open and I can play as...
  9. Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot.: I expected gpedit setting to kill the process, but it hasn't. Is this usual? Any other ways to stop it? 84610
  10. No gpedit in 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    No gpedit in 10 Pro: I have Windows 10 Professional (build 10586)but no gpedit. How do I get it? 60090
Tags: