Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro Digital Entitlement - Can i keep it?

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro Digital Entitlement - Can i keep it? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've been using Windows 10 ever since the first preview came out, as an Insider. As a result, now my computer has a Digital Entitlement to run Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by WinInsiderBeta, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Pro Digital Entitlement - Can i keep it?

I've been using Windows 10 ever since the first preview came out, as an Insider.
    As a result, now my computer has a Digital Entitlement to run Windows 10 Pro. It's permanently activated.

So if i ever decide to get off the Insider Program, can i keep the Pro license? Or is this considered piracy/illegal?

:)

WinInsiderBeta, Apr 2, 2016

2. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

The WEB Site state from Microsoft support To upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, you'll need either a digital entitlement or a valid product key: A digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro for the device you're upgrading. You'll have a digital
    entitlement if Windows 10 Pro was already installed and activated on your device.A valid Windows 10 Pro product key.A valid Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro product key (including Windows 8 Pro Pack and Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product keys).A valid Windows 7
    Ultimate or Windows 7 Professional product key. Note If you don't have a digital entitlement or a product key, you can buy Windows 10 Pro from the Windows Store. Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Activation, and then select Go
    to Store. If your device is running Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro for Students, you can upgrade directly to Windows 10 Pro for free. For more info, see Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ. Show All Upgrade without a
    product key using your digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro If you already installed and activated Windows 10 Pro on your device, you'll have a digital entitlement that allows you to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro without using a product
    key. Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Activation, and then select Go to Store. If you have a digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Home is currently activated on your device, you'll be prompted to start the upgrade
    to Windows 10 Pro for free.If you have a digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro, but Windows 10 Home isn't activated on your device, you can either choose to buy Windows 10 Home or upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free.If you don't have a digital entitlement
    for Windows 10 Pro, you can choose to buy Windows 10 Pro from the Store. Upgrade using a Windows 10 Pro product key Follow these steps to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to if you have a Windows 10 product key: Select the Start button, then select Settings >
    Update & security > Activation. Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character Windows 10 Pro product key. Select Next to start the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Upgrade using a Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, or Windows 8.1
    Pro product key Selecting the option to input a product key it does not work. Why!

GrahameBarclay, Apr 2, 2016
  3. What happens to the OEM digital entitlement of Windows 10 Home when you switch to Pro?

I recently bought a Dell laptop with an OEM digital entitlement to Windows 10 Home. I'd like to activate Windows 10 Pro* on it but I do not want to do that and waste the Windows 10 Home digital entitlement if it means losing the OEM digital entitlement to
    Windows 10 Home.

Q. When I activate Windows 10 Pro, will the OEM digital entitlement to Windows 10 Home that's currently attached to the Dell disappear?

Or, will my laptop now have that OEM Windows 10 Home digital entitlement and a Windows 10 Pro license, likely tracked through my Microsoft Hotmail account?

I ask this question because I don't want to waste the Windows 10 Home license. Someday I will likely want to sell my laptop, and, for resale purposes there's little difference between Windows 10 Home and Pro so I'd rather be able to take the Windows 10 Pro
    license with me to a new device and reactivate the OEM Windows 10 Home license.

*To be specific, I've taken my old laptop's SSD and dropped it in my new laptop. Now the Windows 10 Pro on it is not activated because the digital entitlement for the laptop is for Windows 10 Home.

Potentilla fruticosa, Apr 2, 2016
  4. Wynona Win User

Windows 10 Pro Digital Entitlement - Can i keep it?

As we all know now, in order to participate in the Windows Insider Program, you have to "upgrade" from Windows 7 or 8.1; not so in the beginning . . .

Personally, I think Microsoft left a loophole open (on purpose or by accident), but Microsoft itself has given you digital entitlement. More on this later.

Here's how it happened for me:

My system was Windows 8.1 and has a 1TB hard drive with 8GB RAM. Hmmm, I have enough space for a dual boot system if I want it, so that's what I did. I divided my hard drive in half; at the very beginning of the Insider Program, we weren't required to update from Windows 7 or 8.1 to participate, so I joined up.

Fast forward to the jumble up with "do the Insiders get it free or don't they", and then "yes we do, no we don't", on July 29, we were given the option to stay on the Insider Program or upgrade to Windows 10 RTM (Build 10240, I think), I chose to continue on as an Insider. I should say here that this was on the "bare metal" half of my hard drive that I'd installed Windows 10 Insider builds on. Windows 10 stayed activated and eventually was "digitally entitled".

Because I wanted to also test the RTM version of Windows 10 alongside the Windows 10 Insider versions, and also being a stickler for being "squeaky clean", I upgraded the Windows 8.1 partition to Pro and then to Windows 10 Pro RTM.

Both partitions are now digitally entitled.

So now we get to your digital entitlement . . . somewhere along the line I've read that if you want to drop out of the Insider Program, you'll have to drop back to the latest "RTM version" of Windows 10, which would be the November Update.

If it were me, though, I'd wait for the Redstone 1 Anniversary version of Windows 10 to drop, since it's so close. Once that version RTMs, that's when I'd drop out if I intended to. (Which I don't! *Smile) Of course, you can drop back to the November Update and wait until the Anniversary version drops too. It's up to you, of course.

At any rate, the bottom line is that your computer, as long as it lasts, is digitally entitled to have Windows 10 installed on it. You could, if you wanted to, take the hard drive back to bare metal, download the current Build 14295 ISO and install it. Once complete, your install will still be digitally entitled. Once digitally entitled, for the life of that computer, always digitally entitled.

Hope this short novel helps you to make a decision.

Wynona, Apr 2, 2016
  5. Cool, thanks for the quick reply.
    Some day i may want to drop off the Program, but not anytime soon.
    I love testing the new features *Tongue

I just asked because i was affraid of loosing my activation.

WinInsiderBeta, Apr 2, 2016
  6. Wynona Win User
    Nope, I don't think that'll happen.

Wynona, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro Digital Entitlement - Can i keep it?

1. Windows 10 Pro Digital Entitlement - Can i keep it? - Similar Threads - Pro Digital Entitlement

2. loading 10 Pro under digital entitlement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    loading 10 Pro under digital entitlement: I have windows 10 Pro under digital entitlement on an old computer. I would like to install windows on my new computer and new drive now. How do I do that. I don't have a disk...
  3. If I upgrade a Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 10 and get a digital entitlement/digital...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    If I upgrade a Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 10 and get a digital entitlement/digital...: I want to know if Its possible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-upgrade-a-windows-81-computer-to-windows-10/95fdf666-5e1f-4d01-94c7-909f5a49fc29"
  4. Number of digital license entitlement for windows 10 pro

Number of digital license entitlement for windows 10 pro: Hi there, So far I've obtained 2 windows 10 pro from my win8pro free upgrade and bought 1 more win10 pro cd key where in the account info can I see how many license do I own...
  5. No digital entitlement

No digital entitlement: I upgraded my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home successfully. It shows windows is activated, but there is no message stating digital entitlement. Windows is working fine and updating, but if I need to do a clean install in the future, can this cause any problem, as I...
  6. Reinstall with "digital entitlement"

Reinstall with "digital entitlement": I just installed Windows 10 onto a laptop that had Windows 7. It originally had 8.1 but I replaced it with 7. I just checked and Windows 10 is activated by "digital entitlement". I thought I would have to use the key that came with my retail copy of Windows 7 to activate 10....
  7. Restore Windows 10 digital entitlement activation offline

Restore Windows 10 digital entitlement activation offline: Here is some information about how to successfully backup and restore Windows 10 activation when installed through what Microsoft calls "digital entitlement", i. e. having used the free upgrade offer from a previous Windows version. It is mainly intended for advanced users...
  8. Digital entitlement

Digital entitlement: Had an odd thing happen. I had to replace my motherboard(Asus to Asrock) and do a clean install of Win 10 Pro. I have a retail copy of 10 pro but I never entered my licence number as requested during install, when I got the update and security screen/activation I was...
  9. Restoring Digital Entitlement

Restoring Digital Entitlement: Bought Windows 10 Pro from an authorized dealer and successfully installed then activated Windows 10 on a standalone PC with the Activation key that came with the CD. With that same CD I installed Windows 10 on a Laptop I had as well, (an additional machine). Could not...
  10. Will it still get the digital entitlement?

Will it still get the digital entitlement?: Hi, I want to reinstall Win10. It was previously an upgrade from win7 but 32-bit, and now I want to install 64-bit, will it still get the digital entitlement? Thank you *Smile 88872