Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro expiration/activation problem

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro expiration/activation problem in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, This is my first post to this forum, apologies for the length of this post, but I wanted to try to give as much info as possible. I have a Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ron64, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Ron64 Win User

Windows 10 Pro expiration/activation problem

Hi, This is my first post to this forum, apologies for the length of this post, but I wanted to try to give as much info as possible.
    I have a Windows 10 Pro expiration/activation problem.
    I bought a used desktop PC a few months ago, but am now unable to contact the seller to resolve this issue with him. I have tried the usual routes of solving this problem myself, ie; google searches etc; but have drawn a blank to find the correct solution.
    Hopefully this forum will be able to lead me in the right direction.
    The problem: Approx. every 2 hours I am getting a Windows pop-up message informing me that ''Your Windows License Will Expire Soon... You Need to Activate Windows In Settings''.
    When I go to settings it shows ''Windows is activated using your organizations activation service''.
    I have used slmgr.vbs /dlv to view the current license, which I think indicates that this PC was possibly once used in a business environment? using KMS.
    Also, using the Windows script host, I see the info changes daily, & is now down to 10 days!
    I suspect that the seller used either a pirated copy, or a temporary license to install & activate the Windows 10 Pro. There is no Product Key label on the case, it has been scratched off.
    The PC is a Dell Optiplex 3010 DF Core i3 3220 @ 3.30GHZ 8GB 500GB. It has an original Microsoft
    Windows 7 badge on the case, so obviously it was updated to Windows 10 pro prior to my purchase.
    Is there an easy fix for this expiration issue?
    Thanks in advance for any help to resolve this.

:)

Ron64, Mar 12, 2017

2. First time computer Build gone bad. Now windows will not activate.

I already upgraded before the free upgrade expired. Before I removed my motherboard yesterday Windows 10 Pro showed it as activated, with the new motherboard installed it shows windows 10 pro as not activated.

EdwardLouria, Mar 12, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Pro will expire on 16 March 2017

Windows 10 Pro will expire on 16 March 2017. I need a product key to activate window.

Chun Seet Ding, Mar 12, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

There should have been a mention of how to contact Microsoft. Failing to get a resolution from them will require you buying a copy of Win10 but might find Win7 cheaper and just redo the computer. The free upgrade to Win10 has been mentioned and still seems to work, do a search on this forum.

Berton, Mar 12, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, your copy of Windows 10 is currently illegal. Even if the KMS activation was a legal activation for the organization that the computer previously belonged to (and I doubt it was), it would be illegal for them to transfer that to you.

Does the Windows 7 "badge" have a product key printed on it, and what version of Windows 7 is it for? Microsoft is still allowing free activation of a matching Windows 10 version with a Windows 7 product key.

You can run showkey plus from this forum and see what product key(s) it produces:
    ShowKeyPlus

NavyLCDR, Mar 12, 2017
  6. Ron64 Win User
    Reply for Berton: I didn't see a mention of how to contact Microsoft, but if I have to reinstall another Windows OS, I would probably go for the Windows 7 as it's less expensive, then do an upgrade if it's still an offered option.
    Thanks.

Reply for navyLCDR: The Windows 7 badge is only a small 1'' sq. badge on the front of the case, but the label where the original product key has been scratched out indicates it was a Windows 7 Pro OA that was installed originally.
    I downloaded & ran ShowKeyplus, this is what it showed, though I have ''blanked out'' the actual info for security reasons.

Product Name: Windows 10 Pro

Product ID: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

Installed Key: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

OEM Key: Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware

Hope this info is of more help. What do you recommend is the course of action I should take.
    Thanks.

Ron64, Mar 12, 2017
  7. Superfly Win User
    There is a way of getting you a genuine Windows 10 upgrade.. it's not easy as we will have to recreate the certificate that natches the marker in your firmware to bring you back to Windows 7 OEM... ...then upgrade from there...

As you have a genuine upgradeable machine try changing to the generic. perhaps you have digital entitlement but just require confirmation (i.e change the KMS key in settings to *****-*****-*****-*****-3V66T)

Superfly, Mar 12, 2017
  8. Ron64 Win User

Reply for Superfly: Sorry to show my lack of knowledge, but i only consider myself to be average at best when it comes the programmable workings of PC's.
    I don't understand what you mean by or how to change the KMS key in settings. Also you show a 5x5 sequence with the last 5 being 3V66T. I don't want to assume anything...but are you suggesting I add the 3V66T to the 4x5 Product ID that I have, & if so, where do I go to enter this?
    Thanks.

Ron64, Mar 12, 2017
  9. MPSAN Win User
    Could he contact Dell with the s/n of his system to get the info he needs?

MPSAN, Mar 12, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    See this tutorial: Product Key - Change in Windows 10

Superfly is suggesting your machine may have been upgraded previously and already have a digital licence on Microsoft's activation servers. If that is the case, it should activate automatically if you enter the Windows 10 Pro generic product key:
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

11. Ron64 Win User
    Reply for Bree: Tried entering VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T in the change product id in the activation window, got this reply: We couldn't activate Windows. We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key. if you think you do have a valid license or key, select troubleshoot below.
    (0x803f7001) ( followed by the purchasing option).
    Thanks.

Ron64, Mar 12, 2017
  12. hawkman Win User
    That model was sold with all W7 options + Linux.

Presuming it has a service tag ID go to the Dell website input the tag ID see which version it was sold with, that may change the w10 default key,
    Missed the reply only saw the first stating its been scratched Off
    Roy

hawkman, Mar 13, 2017
  13. Superfly Win User

That was long shot, unfortunately we will have to start from scratch and install Windows 7 first.

Can you send me this registry key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\ACPI\RSDT

We will need that to get the OEM certificate in order to activate Win 7, assuming you are willing to go that route.

Superfly, Mar 13, 2017
  14. Berton Win User
    Unless it has been modified the BIOS usually has the Dell Service Tag in it, helps if the S/T label is missing. That label also contains the Express Service Code that may be helpful to know. My Dell Notebooks just 3 years old have that label in the battery compartment.

Berton, Mar 13, 2017
  15. Ron64 Win User
    I have just become aware that I am no longer getting the pop-up warning of expiration, instead I now have a permanent message (watermark) bottom right hand of screen:
    Activate Windows
    Go to Settings to activate Windows
    I re-ran slmgr.vbs /dlv & the license info has changed. I assume that this is because I entered
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T in the change product id, as the license now shows 3V66T in the info, & there is no longer a volume activation expiration line countdown. Also the license info now does not show any reference to KMS, but states Product Key Channel: Retail.
    As I now have this permanent message on screen to activate, how long do I have to do this?
    Is the best way forward to save everything (portable h/d) & re-install Windows 7 Pro which will reformat the h/d on installation? If so...I will need to acquire a genuine Windows 7 Pro installation disc with a valid product key, then hopefully be able to update to Windows 10 Pro.
    Thanks.

Ron64, Mar 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro expiration/activation problem - Similar Threads - Pro expiration activation

2. Windows 10 pro activation problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 pro activation problem: I have bought the windows 10 pro and for few months it run well but now it started to show windows activation watermark and I cant remove it.. But when I restart the pc the watermark vanishes ...but at the fresh start of the pc again watermarks pop up.. Can anyone help me...
  3. windows 10 pro activation problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 pro activation problem: i try to activate my windows 10 pro version several times but i failed to activte by showing the error code : 0x8007232B https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-activation-problem/a8268006-d634-4229-9dcb-113f158a2c98
  4. windows 10 pro expiring

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 pro expiring: I guess I need a new pass key?? where do I get this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-expiring/7496294a-8ae7-4697-98ad-9e05f0ac77ef
  5. Windows 10 Pro Activation Problems

Windows 10 Pro Activation Problems: Hello, I just bought a new Dell XPS 13 running an activated windows 10 home. I read that I could use the product key from my old xps running windows 7 pro to upgrade my new xps to windows 10 pro, which worked, but then it wasn't activated so I entered the generic win 10 pro...
  6. Windows 10 Pro expiring

Windows 10 Pro expiring: Yesterday I started getting notifications on the screen. Saying windows will expire soon. I looked at other posts and I don't know what to do. It says it will expire on 1/11/2020. Im updated to the latest version but I don't know what else to do. I tried rearming but it...
  7. Windows 10 pro Activation code will expire

Windows 10 pro Activation code will expire: I bought this laptop with Windows 10 pro installed on it and I was under the impression that it was permanent. My Activation status is sitting as "windows is activated using your organizations activation service" I have no organization, and I have no activation code. I cant...
  8. Windows 10 Pro activation problem

Windows 10 Pro activation problem: fresh installation with newly brought windows 10Pro in my new laptop, installation went ok, but after installing updates, while I was personalizing my PC, I noticed the error message Windows is not activated. I followed the troubleshooting step by Step, but same issue....
  9. windows 10 pro activation problem

windows 10 pro activation problem: please how do i find out the compatible product key for the windows am runing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-activation-problem/2f8448db-0e05-4b65-bf72-09553f3cb502"
  10. Windows 10 expiring activation problem

Windows 10 expiring activation problem: I have a pop up message appearing on the screen saying the licence will expire 15 August, need to activate Windows in Settings. Contact admin to get product key. When I go to Settings it says Windows is activated and Product ID as well as Product Key is listed. I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. slmgr ipk <5x5 key>