Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro (Format the Factory Restore drive D for other uses?

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro (Format the Factory Restore drive D for other uses? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I Bought an HP Pavilion Slimline (s5310f) computer in 2010 with Windows 7 Factory installed OS. Than I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate OS.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Zone1, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Zone1 Win User

Windows 10 Pro (Format the Factory Restore drive D for other uses?

I Bought an HP Pavilion Slimline (s5310f) computer in 2010 with Windows 7 Factory installed OS. Than I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate OS.

Installed Windows 10 Pro.

I deleted Windows/OLD.

What is in the Factory Image that shows up in MY PC files ? It is also listed in System Restore?
    Is it Windows 10 Pro or Windows 7 that originally came with purchase.

I read somewhere that Windows 10 does not have a Factory Restore only Recovery.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220986/how-...ecovery-tools/

Is it safe to format the Factory Restore drive D for other uses?

Any answers greatly appreciated.

:)

Zone1, Oct 31, 2015

2. format a disk drive

If I format a HDD (my D: drive) with an OEM partition and a recovery partition on it, will the formatting wipe out the partitions?

Running Windows 10 Pro from C: drive. My D: drive is a Seagate 2TB that came with the pc (Dell) and had Windows 7 Pro on it. I put a SSD in and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

Any help for this 80 year old would be appreciated!

RayWoodall33, Oct 31, 2015
  3. JohnSF Win User
    Windows 10 two copies on PC

on Drive c there is factory (Dell) installed Windows 10.

on drive d I have installed my own copy Windows 10 pro.

Machine boots with UEFI and Factory Win 10 loads.

machine boots with Legacy and I changed boot order, Win 10 Pro.

How do I combine the two different Windows and run only the Win10 pro?

JohnSF, Oct 31, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Being of sound mind I had made the factory restore discs when prompted in setting up a couple of Notebooks then when I Upgraded them to Win10 I did use Disk Management to delete that partition [and data in it], gave me additional storage. The thing is, as I understand it, is that the Product Key gets associated with Win10 and the restore function is no longer available. Perhaps putting in a new HDD and then using the restore discs will work but Activation may be an issue.

Berton, Oct 31, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You understand incorrectly. The Windows 7 product key does not get associated with Windows 10 in any way.

NavyLCDR, Oct 31, 2015
  6. Zone1 Win User
    I am more confused than ever. Simple question was what was on the Factory restore drive. Perhaps no one knows and if that is the situation I will leave it alone. Since I deleted windows Old which had Windows 7 on it I have nothing to restore from.
    Is there a way to see the files in Factory Restore D Drive ? It has approximately 10 GB on it.
    Windows 10 Pro (Format the Factory Restore drive D for other uses? [​IMG]

Zone1, Nov 1, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    The Factory image is to return to Windows 7 using the recovery utility (losing all your data and programs). If you don't mind, create recovery disks for Windows 10, in case you need them in the future, and delete the Factory image partition and the recovery partition to gain space. When you delete them there will be unallocated space. Right-click on the Windows partition and select Extend Volume to take all the unallocated space.

spapakons, Nov 1, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The small 1/2 GB recovery partition will have the Windows 10 recovery environment on it - you can repair boot issues with it, but not install Windows 10 from it. The Factory Image partition contains the Windows 7 image necessary to restore back to Windows 7. I ended up in the same situation and actually combined the two. I took the install.wim file from the Factory Image partition and copied it, then deleted factory image partition and expanded the smaller recovery partition into the free space. Then I copied the install.wim file into the newly expanded recovery partition and set reagentc.exe to see it as the OS image. Then shrunk the recovery partition to the smallest size possible.

So, I ended up with a Windows 10 recovery partition that, if I picked restore, would restore my computer back to the Windows 8.1 that it came from the factory with.

NavyLCDR, Nov 1, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    I would make sure that Windows 10 work without any issues. Then take a full system backup or clone the disk on a spare. Then delete any recovery partitions and extend Windows to take the whole disk. If you have enough free space, you can just forget about it for the time being as it is rather advanced and sounds like a lot of trouble.

spapakons, Nov 1, 2015
  10. Zone1 Win User
    So, it's not like I am running low on space. If I just formatted the Factory Restore D I would have a bit of extra space for say special files ? I will make sure to have a Windows 10 clone on USB beforehand.
    Thank you for all replies, mucho appreciated.

Zone1, Nov 1, 2015
  11. Zone1 Win User
    So even though I deleted Windows/Old files when I upgraded to Windows 10 you are saying Windows 7 still resides in Factory restore on my D drive ?

Zone1, Nov 1, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes. But you can't do a simple revert back to Windows 7. You would have to do a full system restore. You may or may not be required to enter the Windows 7 product key for that.

NavyLCDR, Nov 1, 2015
  13. CountMike New Member

As I use other means of backing windows up, I collected and merged all the "extra" partitions and left only System Reserved at the beginning of BOOT disk + C:/. I ended up with 6 partitions after upgrade from W7 to 8, to 8.1 and finally to 10. Every upgrade seems to leave another useless partition.

CountMike, Nov 1, 2015
  14. Zone1 Win User
    So I did my Recovery system backup on USB, set to go. I made the USB Windows 10 Install from Media Tool in case I ever need to install a clean Windows 10. I reformatted the Factory Restore and as it was formatting noticed familiar Windows 7 programs going bye Bye forever *Smile Cyberlink and all the other crap that discombobulated the system *Smile

You have helped me tremendously and I am glad to have found this forum.

Zone1, Nov 9, 2015
  15. CountMike New Member
    Those brand name computers are so full of crap programs that sometimes I'm flabbergasted how the heck do they work at all. They eat half the free RAM and processor cycles. Good riddance of them, nothing like nice, clean system.

CountMike, Nov 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro (Format the Factory Restore drive D for other uses? - Similar Threads - Pro Format Factory

2. I went to format a DVD in my DVD drive E and inadvertingly formatted my restore Drive D....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I went to format a DVD in my DVD drive E and inadvertingly formatted my restore Drive D....: Is it possible to replace the folder and data that was in Drive D which is my restore partition? The Drive D partition is still there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-went-to-format-a-dvd-in-my-dvd-drive-e-and/e719f958-8312-4a91-8c2d-aeb106a43eaa
  3. I went to format a DVD in my DVD drive E and inadvertingly formatted my restore Drive D....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I went to format a DVD in my DVD drive E and inadvertingly formatted my restore Drive D....: Is it possible to replace the folder and data that was in Drive D which is my restore partition? The Drive D partition is still there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-went-to-format-a-dvd-in-my-dvd-drive-e-and/e719f958-8312-4a91-8c2d-aeb106a43eaa
  4. I went to format a DVD in my DVD drive E and inadvertingly formatted my restore Drive D....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Restore D drive in the pc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Restore D drive in the pc: I was installing the kali linux through USB. It was failed due to unknown problems. Then i closed the and restarted the laptop. When it started my some apps were not there. There was an error saying: unable to find location D:\ desktop. I tried some ways but didn't resolve...
  6. Format D: drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Format D: drive: Hi, I have two disks, C and D. I just did a factory reset on C. C is now like new, but D: is still full of data and software installations (that now does not work anymore). Is it safe to format D: through the disk management tool?...
  7. Formatting privileges on drive D:

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formatting privileges on drive D:: When i reinstall windows formatting the machine or when i refresh it the files stored in d: drive ask me UAC promt and ask for administrator privileges to delete, when i try to work in a file i can open it but it ask me create a copy to save my work . Any Idea? Sorry bad...
  8. Formatting privileges D: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Formatting privileges D: drive: When i reinstall windows formatting the machine or when i refresh it the files stored in d: drive ask me UAC promt and ask for administrator privileges to delete, when i try to work in a file i can open it but it ask me create a copy to save my work . Any Idea? Sorry bad...
  9. Formatted Windows drive, format others too?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Formatted Windows drive, format others too?: This has been a point of confusion every time I do a clean format; I'm not sure what to do with my extra 1tb WD black drive. Usually I just format it as well, but I'd like to know whether or not this is necessary. I have programs installed on it, such as Unreal Engine, Steam...
  10. Factory settings with keeping D drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factory settings with keeping D drive?: Hi i need some help. I have one Windows 10 Pro 32bit version It is slow. So i need to do factory reset. But i need to keep files on drive D Which option should i use in recovery window - Windows which will pop up if you type in search reset and then click on button Get...