Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro keeps forgetting activated status

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro keeps forgetting activated status in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I'm another one to add to the activation casualty list. *Sad I was going to wait for any initial problems had dissipated before trying out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Retro, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Retro Win User

Windows 10 Pro keeps forgetting activated status

Hi,

I'm another one to add to the activation casualty list. *Sad

I was going to wait for any initial problems had dissipated before trying out Windows 10 Pro but I just couldn't help myself so I decided to give it a go last Friday.

Although I had the GWX app icon I never reserved Windows 10 Pro with it and used the Media Creation Tool instead. Using the 'Upgrade this PC' option with the tool I upgraded my existing Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit installation to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. After the upgrade had completed Windows 10 Pro loaded and it said it had activated and I thought that was the end of it.

However, since then I've noticed every time I reboot my PC, sometimes Windows 10 Pro says it's activated and other times it says 'Connect to the Internet to activate Windows' with the error code 0xC004F034 and no matter how many times I press the Activate button nothing happens. Also, when it says it's not activated I've noticed the App store won't open (other than that Windows 10 Pro seems to work as normal) and when it says it's activated again the App store opens properly. I thought this problem might have just been down to overloaded activation servers with everyone trying but nearly a week later and this problem still persists for me. *Confused

I just hope I don't have to go back to Windows 8 and go through the upgrade all again.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks.

:)

Retro, Aug 5, 2015

2. windows 7 key wont work error code:0xc004f050

i installed windows 10 pro from windows 7 pro installed it on the same drive a windows 7 and i cant use my windows 7 key to activate and it says invalid key. still have windows.old and thanks in advance in case i forget.

maskurvink, Aug 5, 2015
  3. HMckn Win User
    Windows upgrade 1511 issue

I have just built a new PC using Windows 7 Pro, and upgraded successfully to Windows 10 Pro. My Windows installation had a status of 'Activated', and I was under the impression that once an upgrade had been successfully completed and activated, I could then
    create an ISO and complete a clean install of Windows 10 with no activation problems.

I performed a clean install of Windows 10 pro (build 10240), and believe that the status initially appeared as 'activated'. However, yesterday I discovered that I was being prompted to re-activate, and have been told by Microsoft support that the way to
    do this is to install the 1511 (November) upgrade. I have downloaded the upgrade, but have found that I am not able to select the option to 'Keep personal files and apps'. My only available options are to 'keep personal files only' or 'delete everything'.

This is unacceptable. I have spent a considerable amount of time transferring my applications from my old PC to my new PC and reactivating each of the apps license keys on my new PC. Is there any way of retaining my applications as part of the upgrade?

HMckn, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Max Pen Win User

What you can do just do to as an extra check your windows is indeed activated or not is:

(run command prompt "as administrator") type: slmgr /xpr

That will tell you your license expiration date. If it is permanently activated or not.

Let me know how it goes. Sadly my expertise is minor and I'm sure others can better help but running that little command will help shed some light on the issue.

Max Pen, Aug 5, 2015
  5. Retro Win User
    I get 'Windows is in Notification mode' with that slmgr /xpr command.
    At the moment my PC has the 'Connect to the Internet to activate Windows' message though so I'll reboot again.

I've just rebooted and the system now says activated and that slmgr /xpr command states 'The machine is permanently activated'.

This is weird, it's like it's stuck in some sort of loop.

Retro, Aug 5, 2015
  6. Max Pen Win User
    The good news is that the command gives "The machine is permanently activated" now for your other issue I found this old topic:

'Windows is in notification mode' message

With an interesting reply; (the important part in bold)

So maybe your not out of the woods just yet. I would wait for someone with more exp to comment on what might be going on.

In any case best of luck, hopefully someone else can assist you. I've done the best I can.

Max Pen, Aug 5, 2015
  7. Retro Win User
    I've not changed any hardware since 2014, so I'm at a loss why this is happening. Maybe Windows 10 Pro didn't activate properly if the activation servers were overloaded at the time I activated.

Thanks for your help though Max.

Retro, Aug 5, 2015
  8. BillGates Win User

the GWX icon is different than just upgrading?

BillGates, Aug 5, 2015
  9. Retro Win User
    I gather (and hope!) the process was the same using GWX or the Media Creation Tool or I might have to go back to Windows 8.1 again and then go the GWX route instead if something has messed up upgrading this way. *Sad

Retro, Aug 5, 2015
  10. BillGates Win User
    i upgraded through WMC tool..
    and successfully activated.
    although i got the GWX notification too..
    but i disabled it, lol.. i was annoyed when i got it.

FYI: update and it should activate. . there's an update relevant to activation.
    - it's best to keep the Internet on while upgrading.. and it should activate when you're at the Desktop
    - else.. just manually trigger the update

then try activation.

BillGates, Aug 5, 2015
  11. Retro Win User
    It seemed to activate fine when I upgraded, it started acting strange afterwards, although when I upgraded I didn't connect with a Microsoft account but a local account instead, could that have messed things up? I did read that when activating, hardware ID's are stored so there's no need to use a Microsoft account when upgrading to Windows 10 but I don't know.

If I downgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro (I can't even roll back, it can't find my previous Windows 8.1 build so I'd have to start from scratch) can I upgrade again to Windows 10 Pro at a later date (before the end of the free offer for a year)?

Retro, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro keeps forgetting activated status - Similar Threads - Pro keeps forgetting

2. my windows activation status is showing that windows is activated but it keeps sending me...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    my windows activation status is showing that windows is activated but it keeps sending me...: and how will i update my product key if if got my pc from jumia and windows was activated? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-activation-status-is-showing-that/3a4b3168-8926-4892-8d84-248a80eaa765
  3. my windows activation status is showing that windows is activated but it keeps sending me...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my windows activation status is showing that windows is activated but it keeps sending me...: and how will i update my product key if if got my pc from jumia and windows was activated? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-activation-status-is-showing-that/3a4b3168-8926-4892-8d84-248a80eaa765
  4. my windows activation status is showing that windows is activated but it keeps sending me...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 keeps forgetting wi-fi credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 keeps forgetting wi-fi credentials: Windows keeps autonomously logging off from the wi-fi network and asks for credentials to log back in. Even if you enter the right wi-fi username and password it will fail to log in a couple of times until that one odd instance when it finally successfully logs in. After...
  6. Forget windows 10 Pro key

Forget windows 10 Pro key: I was using fully activated windows 10Pro on my machine. Unfortunately it got currupted. Now I want to reinstall but don't have system image or backup plan. I don't have its key. Is there any way to get rid of this situation?...
  7. Windows keeps forgetting monitor settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows keeps forgetting monitor settings: I have two monitors connected to one system, I never use both at the same time because I have this set up so I can use my system at two different positions. One is 60Hz and the other 144Hz. Everytime I switch monitors my 144Hz sets to default 60Hz. Is there any way to make...
  8. Windows 10 activation status

Windows 10 activation status: I’ve seen this question asked and answered, but I’m not satisfied, haha! I bought a Windows 10 product in a liquidation lot of customer return items. It has been opened. I would like to be able to resell it if it was only opened, but not installed/activated . In order to do...
  9. Windows Keeps Forgetting How to Bluetooth

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Keeps Forgetting How to Bluetooth: Hello, This is incredibly frustrating and I've tried everything I can to fix it. If this can't be resolved I'm honestly looking at replacing my laptop with a non-Windows computer, because not being able to use my bluetooth mouse when I'm editing graphics or doing other...
  10. Windows 10 keeps forgetting my icon thumbnails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 keeps forgetting my icon thumbnails: So I go into a folder, and all the thumbnails load up slowly. Then you expect it's built up the cache so next time you go in it's instant, right? Nope! All forgotten. Every single time I go into a folder it's reset. I tried deleting to rebuild the cache DB files but...