Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; With one of my current PC configurations, I have activated and have been using / activating Win 10 Home without problems. I think this was from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TenneR, Nov 19, 2017.

1. TenneR Win User

Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD

With one of my current PC configurations, I have activated and have been using / activating Win 10 Home without problems. I think this was from a retail key.

Recently, I have discovered / reminded myself that I also have a Win 10 Pro license on this setup, but after cloning my w10 Home from SSD to an image and installing Pro to that SSD, Windows won't activate.

However, installing to a HDD (nothing else has changed) activates windows without issues. I think that Pro license may have been an upgrade from an OEM key (would that be the problem?).

I thought Pro would activate on that same hardware, regardless of SSD or HDD?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

:)

TenneR, Nov 19, 2017

2. To be filled by o.e.m. problem

Hi, I've installed free version of windows 10 pro in december on HDD and got my activation number.

But when I look in MCA my device has listed as " To be filled by o.e.m."

That's now a problem because I want to replace HDD with SSD but can't activate windows installed on SSD.

MCA seems can't activate it through digitally stored licence.

Is there anyway to resolve this situation?

Tnx in advance

SiniPhilips, Nov 19, 2017
  3. Is upgrading the hard drive going to cancel my WIndows 10 activation?

Hi Joe

You can change to a different hard drive without losing the activation.

Gabriel Aul on Twitter

My hdd became corrupt so lost everything if fresh install on win 10 pro and log in with msa will i still be able to activate window.

If Win10 was activated with your old HDD then yes, you should be able to replace, reinstall, & reactivate.

Regards

Ronnie Vernon, Nov 19, 2017
  4. Kyhi Win User

Download Image-Health > Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

And run Option 14 on the Activated Windows 10 Pro OS
    this will result in a GenuineTicket.xml File on your Desktop

To activate windows 10 Pro on a different drive, copy that file into
    "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket"

5. TenneR Win User
    Thanks Kyhi.

That's interesting - I forgot about the Genuine Ticket ..... will give it a try later.

I was going to cloned the sucecessfully activate Ppro on HDD to deploy on the SSD, but I guess the ticket route will be easier / quicker.

Any reason why it's playing up? Anything to do with the Pro potentially coming from a win 7 (I think) OEM key?

TenneR, Nov 19, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    According to MS the formula for reactivation is secret but server reactivation is triggered more on disk change and workstation/client more on CPU/board change. I read it recently but can't find the source to back up my assertion and it is probably old anyway.

For a hobby user like me GenuineTicket is still useful. I have been swapping between Pro and WorkstationPro using a generic keys and use GenuineTicket to reactivate - it isn't just for upgrading from old versions.

7. Kyhi Win User
    I have a win10 Home pc and tried to upgrade to pro using an unused 8.1 pro key > was not allowed
    I installed 8.1 pro using pro key > activated...
    Got genuine ticket
    Installed Win10 Pro > activated

8. lx07 Win User

I don't understand your point.

If you have a valid license you can get a GenuineTicket and use it to clean install or repair install.

That doesn't mean you really have a license though.

For example you can change your insider build from Pro to WorkstationPro using generic key, get a GenuineTicket and then (after updating your ISO) clean install the WorkstationPro.

Do you have a valid license after that? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I don't know.

9. TenneR Win User
    Just to clarify that everything was the same except the swap out of the drives.

The USB as the install source and of course hardware were all the same.

I just don't quite understand it?

TenneR, Nov 19, 2017
  10. Superfly Win User
    A storage device change has specifically been excluded from the hardware algorithm in latter versions of Win 10 for digital licences and theoretically should not change it (significantly enough) to nuke the licence - run a ADT diagnostic report to see where it's breaking.
    You can transfer the licence with the activation wizard as well if you have a MS account.

Superfly, Nov 19, 2017
  11. Kyhi Win User
    Clearly Not...

12. Superfly Win User
    LOL...
    From what I understand is renew your licence from an activated system...BTW only the older Insider editions allow the upgrade to Workstation (I remember a key issue with that) - it was not an intentional upgrade path AFAIK but a development flaw in those builds.

Superfly, Nov 20, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

@TenneR,

If you open a Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin) and run:

slmgr /ATO
    slmgr /DLV

What are the results? There is no uniquely identifying information in the results, you don't need to blank anything out:

Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 20, 2017
  14. TenneR Win User
    Thanks for the input everyone.

The Genuine Ticket method did not work, but when I deployed my successfully activatd HDD image to SSD, that seemed to work. I then clean installed again on the SSD but that failed to activate.

@NavyLCDR
    On the activated HDD, I get identical details as your screenshots except the installation ID.

With the SSD, there were a few notifications, a couple with which I had to type the following into Powershell

slui.exe 0x2a ...

0x803f7001 - server name or address can't be resolved
    0x80072ee7 - server name or address can't be resolved

0xc004f034

TenneR, Nov 20, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Is this computer connected to the internet? And we really need the screenshots for troubleshooting purposes....

server name not resolved might also indicate that it is attempting to contact a KMS server, which we could tell if an actual screenshot was posted.

To take a screenshot, click on the start icon and start typing snip - snipping tool will come up at the top of the results list. Snipping tool is pretty self explanatory. When you have the screenshot saved as a file, add it to a post as follows:
    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Tutorials

NavyLCDR, Nov 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro not activating on SSD but okay on HDD - Similar Threads - Pro activating SSD

2. HDd to SSD Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDd to SSD Windows 10: My laptop hdd is slow so I’m considering replacing it, perhaps with an SSD. How do I copy windows 10 over? I don’t want to copy any of the laptop manufacturer’s software apart from hardware drivers. The Windows 10 is an upgrade. Would it be easier to just go for a new Windows...
  3. HDd to SSD Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDd to SSD Windows 10: My laptop hdd is slow so I’m considering replacing it, perhaps with an SSD. How do I copy windows 10 over? I don’t want to copy any of the laptop manufacturer’s software apart from hardware drivers. The Windows 10 is an upgrade. Would it be easier to just go for a new Windows...
  4. Transferring OEM windows 10 pro from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring OEM windows 10 pro from HDD to SSD: Hi,I have the HP 250 G4 and I have windows 10 pro installed onto the Hard Drive inside the laptop. I recently purchased a Solid State Drive so I could get better performance out of the laptop as it is for school and I’ll need quite a few tasks running at once. I went into...
  5. Transferring OEM windows 10 pro from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring OEM windows 10 pro from HDD to SSD: Hi,I have the HP 250 G4 and I have windows 10 pro installed onto the Hard Drive inside the laptop. I recently purchased a Solid State Drive so I could get better performance out of the laptop as it is for school and I’ll need quite a few tasks running at once. I went into...
  6. Windows 10 PRO OS migration from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 PRO OS migration from HDD to SSD: Hi, I have dell inspiron 3542 with Windows 10 Pro genuine version in HDD, and it's digitally activated while upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Pro, I backed up my product ID in Microsoft account, But yesterday I had inserted 2nd SSD caddy in DVD slot, I tried to migrate OS...
  7. Windows 10 don't activate after replacing HDD with SSD. Win10 is activated when HDD is...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 don't activate after replacing HDD with SSD. Win10 is activated when HDD is...: Hello, I replaced my HDD with SSD and installed Windows 10. Using the SSD Windows10 is not activated I tried using the Troubleshoot options as well as deleting and adding devices on my Microsoft account. But still no success activating my Windows 10. I have a digital license...
  8. Upgrade Windows 10 Pro PCs from HDD to SSD

Upgrade Windows 10 Pro PCs from HDD to SSD: Hi, I have about 10 PCs at my office that are all using either 5400 or 7200 rpm HDDs that we want to upgrade to SSDs. All computers are all-in-ones: either Dell Inspiron 24s or Acer Aspire C24s and all are running Windows 10 Pro. I am planning on simply cloning the current...
  9. Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement

Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement: If I replace the HDD with an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10, the Microsoft activation server should recognize my system and activate it, or not?...
  10. Changed HDD for SSD now windows not activated

Changed HDD for SSD now windows not activated: Hello, I just cloned my HDD to an SSD, and now Windows is no longer activated. The troubleshooter doesn't fix the problem. The process returns the code 0x004f034 The Microsoft Account method does not work The chat bot doesn't come up with anything helpful I don't...