Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro Re-activation problems

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro Re-activation problems in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently changed motherboards on my Win 10 PC. I had set up a Microsoft account, which was working prior to changing any hardware. I am attempting to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Flogger23m, May 27, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Pro Re-activation problems

I recently changed motherboards on my Win 10 PC. I had set up a Microsoft account, which was working prior to changing any hardware. I am attempting to reactivate Win 10 under Settings / Activation / Troubleshoot, however, I seem to be getting an error.

I get an option to to click

"I changed hardware on this device recently". The first time I did this I was able to enter my MS account info, however, the screen turned white and I had no other option. Upon trying it (even after a restart) I am getting the same error, except I can not even enter my MS account password anymore.

This copy of Win 10 Pro was an upgrade (clean install) from Win 7. Any advice appreciated!

:)

Flogger23m, May 27, 2017

2. not able to activate Window 10 pro ---- error code 0xC004C014

not able to activate windows 10 pro after re-install

mustafa.basic, May 27, 2017
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Replacing the Motherboard/CPU and the Hard Drive

afchlam,

You do not save your OEM Pro licence. The record of it being activated with Windows 10 Pro is saved on Microsoft's activation servers. You can reinstall and it will re-activate online.

Denis

Tryx3, May 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 Pro Re-activation problems

dalchina, May 27, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    I've had problems too - I wonder if servers are playing up?

cereberus, May 27, 2017
  6. Swapped and rebooted. This worked for me in the past, but that ways always with Win 7. A family member did the same a days prior with Win 10 and it worked though. Same type of license (8.1 upgraded to 10, Microsoft account).

Not looking to do a clean install at the moment.

Because this was an upgrade (I inputted an 8.1 key last year when I got Win 10), can I type in my old Win 8.1 serial key?

Flogger23m, May 27, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    How to Use Your Free Windows 10 License After Changing Your PC’s Hardware
    Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose - Microsoft Community
    - detail of each different license type and implications

There are some here who have experience of this- and other threads on this topic. I expect someone who's been through this personally will be able to comment further.

Was your original license retail or OEM?

dalchina, May 27, 2017
  8. Windows 10 Pro Re-activation problems

8.1 Pro, OEM to upgraded Win 10. Tied to an MS account.

My understanding (per some responses on this forum) that this should allow for changing of hardware. I also know others who just did the same thing without issue.

Flogger23m, May 27, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Second link says:
    OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:
    - OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel
    - OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

- is your MBO identical?

N.B. it is possible, of course, that has been superceded. Others may know. You'll probably get more responses tomorrow.

dalchina, May 27, 2017
  10. Flogger23m, May 27, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    On the basis of what I found above, it's not allowed. I would hope for sthg better than a blank though!

Meanwhile you can try contacting your regional activation centre. And as said previously by cereberus, there may be an issue contacting the activation servers.

dalchina, May 27, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why not just try it?

NavyLCDR, May 27, 2017
  13. Windows 10 Pro Re-activation problems

Just to update, it activated. I am not sure if this helped:

1) Check devices for your Win 10 account. My PC was checked off. Restart, a few times (think I did 4-5 restarts). Continue checking your devices.

2) Eventually the screen stopped giving a blank page. Asked to enter MS account email and password. Activated.

No idea if checking your devices within an internet browser in step 1 (don't recall where I even went to get that option) helped, but all seems to be working now.

Flogger23m, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro Re-activation problems

1. Windows 10 Pro Re-activation problems - Similar Threads - Pro activation problems

2. Problem with re-activation of Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Problem with re-activation of Windows 10.: Split from this thread. Hey maybe you can help me as well, I have a similar but different issue. My Windows 10 product key is tied to my Microsoft account, so I should just be able to sign into Windows with that same account and be all set right?. I bought a used laptop and...
  3. Re-activation of Windows 10 Pro for Workstation

Re-activation of Windows 10 Pro for Workstation: Hi, I bought Windows 10 Pro retail product key from Amazon. It works well. I also linked it to my Microsoft account "windows is activated with digital license linked to your microsoft account" After that, I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for Workstation in Windows Store. But I...
  4. re-activating windows 10 problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    re-activating windows 10 problem: I've just changed my motherboard on my pc and thus windows 10 is not showing as being activated (was originally activated through usb key i got off amazon) however even the troubleshooting option to select 'i've changed my hardware' in the settings has led me to a dead end...
  5. re-activation after reinstall (windows 10 pro)

re-activation after reinstall (windows 10 pro): Hi, My mum gave me her Laptop which she had from new. She had upgraded free to windows 10 from 8.1. when I got the laptop I re-installed windows 10 (PRO) and have never been able to activate. I believe she'd had Home version. I do not have a product key but when she gave it...
  6. Windows 10 Pro activation problem

Windows 10 Pro activation problem: fresh installation with newly brought windows 10Pro in my new laptop, installation went ok, but after installing updates, while I was personalizing my PC, I noticed the error message Windows is not activated. I followed the troubleshooting step by Step, but same issue....
  7. windows 10 pro activation problem

windows 10 pro activation problem: please how do i find out the compatible product key for the windows am runing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-activation-problem/2f8448db-0e05-4b65-bf72-09553f3cb502"
  8. Windows 10 Pro and this re-activation

Windows 10 Pro and this re-activation: Not a fan of microsoft I one when my MacBook Pro was stolen, which I did off craigslist. Well now This thing is telling me that I need to activate this . Man, this was working fine. What is this, I thought all computers came with every pc today?...
  9. Re activating windows 10 pro

Re activating windows 10 pro: Hi there, I have windows 10 pro on my device and it is deactivated, I entered the product key I have but its not working, I tried the Microsoft store and it has "something bad happen" so, currently I cant use my laptop and all Microsoft applications are stopped working...
  10. Windows 10 Pro Re-activation

Windows 10 Pro Re-activation: product has only been on this PC - I had to swap motherboards and switched SSD but I just bought it less than a month ago - you must be able to check iP address?...